Real Bread in Phayao

Robin

24 minutes ago, ohpont said:

Unfortunately, your first link would not open in my browser--but the temperatures are fairly standard and available on many websites.  The important point, perhaps, is that the alcohol made by yeast will be ethyl alcohol (ethanol), and not isopropyl, the latter having a higher boiling point. 

The second link is awesome, and confirms much of what I was saying.  I had not seen that one, and had estimated the temperatures reached over time (I'm quite good at estimating).  I noted that the author of that article had started checking internal temperatures on the buns (smaller than a loaf of bread, and will reach the high temperature sooner) at 15 minutes, finding that the center bun was about 171 degrees Fahrenheit.  This aligns well with my estimate for a loaf of bread taking at least five to eight minutes longer to reach that point.  As an aside, here, smaller breads, like buns, should be safer.

I had seen that third link before.  It gives some "standard" information--the sort that is commonly believed.  I note that the "expert" of that site is not said to have any special qualification, e.g. being a doctor, dietician, researcher, or even a biologist.  I'm sure they would want to post that information to give him more credibility if he had any of those qualifications. 

I'm certified to teach biology and come from a family of doctors.  My grandfather is one of my sources, and he will be 99 years old later this year.  He still drives, and lives alone.  He taught in a well-known medical school for many years, and has traveled the world lecturing on matters of diet and public health.  He was in both Europe and Australia giving lectures the year before the covid crisis shut down traveling options.  For reasons of privacy here, I will be unable to provide his name.

23 minutes ago, ohpont said:

Don't panic too much about bread, they are so many other food, next is just one example.

All types of alcohol, including such as wine, beer, whiskey, gin, vodka, contain high levels of yeast. The foods that are used to create these alcoholic drinks--potatoes, molasses, beets and grape skins--contain yeast. Yeast is absorbed into the bloodstream when a person drinks excessive amounts of alcohol. This can cause or aggravate a yeast infection. The high amounts of sugar in some forms of alcohol can also cause yeast infections.

Yeast,leaven sourdough, poolish, many ways to raise bread.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/198027-what-foods-can-cause-a-yeast-infection/

I don't think this is a scientifically very reliable source, and the article linked appears to be written by an unqualified journalist, not a scientist or doctor.

I'd question whether distilled spirits like vodka or whisky could contain measurable quantities of yeast. The statement that "all forms of alcohol....contain high levels of yeast" is simply wrong.

This article, reviewed at least (but not written by) a clinician gives a more accurate assessment :https://www.verywellhealth.com/alcohol-allergies-and-intolerances-1324211

"Yeast Allergies 

The type of yeast used to ferment many alcoholic beverages is known as brewer's yeast. It is the same yeast that is used to make bread rise.12

Allergies to brewer's yeast have been well-documented in the medical literature. They are most likely to occur in people who have mold allergies.13 Brewer's yeast is used in all fermented alcoholic beverages. This includes beer, wine, hard cider, and sake. People with yeast allergies should avoid these.

Distilled liquor is not made with brewer's yeast. Distilling a drink usually removes any naturally occurring yeast or yeast by-products from the liquid. Because of this, distilled spirits are generally safe for people with yeast allergies."

Edited by partington

Nope

Like I said to the OP there is a place in Naprang, T.A.Pong, who has the bread and pasties made by Nana bakery in Chiang Mai.

My solution is to buy it fresh when i go in Chiang Mai, portion it and freeze,

Then for the slice of sourdough in the toaster and for the baguettes, in the oven, Voila.

There is also the possibility to ask them to send it to you, I did it once and it was perfect.

That's the only way i found to eat quality bread professionally made and stay away from premixed and the staff in plastic...

You could also see with Jo Bakery if you are after german breads, I don't know if he send.

For the little story, it was a vietnamese/chinese baker who did nice baguettes in the 80's, east entrance of Phayao market, the shop had real butter and even bottles of Guiness with the yellow tag, was worth a trip downtown, even with a long drive from home.

Then came a french baker, next to the restaurants area on the lake side, then he move close to the hospital and finally left.

Maybe one day.

A few bakers tried Chiang Rai and they all left too.