Royal gift or 'stolen' gem? Calls for UK to return 500 carat Great Star of Africa diamond

Scott

Great Star of Africa - Famous Diamonds - Education

Calls are growing in South Africa for Britain's royal family to return the world's largest known clear-cut diamond in the wake of Queen Elizabeth II's death.

Known as the Great Star of Africa or Cullinan I, the diamond is cut from a larger gem that was mined in South Africa in 1905 and handed over to the British royal family by South Africa's colonial authorities. It is currently mounted on a royal scepter belonging to the Queen.

Demands for the return of the Great Star of Africa and other diamonds -- along with calls for repatriations -- have intensified since the Queen's death.
CNN-logo-July-4-2020-e1593906141959-300x

On 9/17/2022 at 5:17 AM, Scott said:

Known as the Great Star of Africa or Cullinan I, the diamond is cut from a larger gem that was mined in South Africa in 1905 and handed over to the British royal family by South Africa's colonial authorities. It is currently mounted on a royal scepter belonging to the Queen.

So what's the gripe,If this is true. Who says that this ain't the Truth.

For me I don't Care  who owns the Rock.

20 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Not stolen.

The stone was purchased by the Transvaal government and offered to the King. I simply Googled that as anyone else may.

Lots of diamonds have been dug out of what is now South Africa and sold to gullible potential husbands. Should they all be given back.

Beat me to it!

Seems that some are incapable of understanding that some things like the diamond were legally given to the Crown.

Some are just too eager to paint our ancestors as blackhearted and how we must make amends.

However it seems to always be other people that must pay for those amends.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Imperialism was the norm back then, but of course every thing done by our ancestors was bad, according to some ( perhaps those with a guilt complex ).

I wasn't alive back then and I feel no personal responsibility for what happened, especially given my forebears lived in a colonized country.

I certainly do not feel any need to apologize for anything that happened hundreds of years ago when every country behaved the same way. Some were just more successful than others.

Imperialism was the norm, but hanging children for stealing bread was also once the norm. That doesn't make it right.

It is interesting that while a country would march its troops into somebody else's territory, subjugate the people and steal their sh!t, back at home there were strict laws and penalties against theft.

And in the case of 'Christian' countries, just where did Christ give the OK for it?

I am inclined to agree with the second part of what you wrote. I have German pals who feel they have no need to apologise to me for the third reich and I in turn feel I have no right to demand any such apology. What happened was nothing to do with us.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, baboon said:

Imperialism was the norm, but hanging children for stealing bread was also once the norm. That doesn't make it right.

It would not be "right" in today's world, and such does not happen, to my knowledge.

The list of things that were not "right" by today's standards would take several pages to detail, so I'll leave such in the past where it belongs.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It would not be "right" in today's world, and such does not happen, to my knowledge.

The list of things that were not "right" by today's standards would take several pages to detail, so I'll leave such in the past where it belongs.

My argument is that for a country supposedly modelling itself on the life and teachings of Christ, it could never have been right.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1