Swedish pedestrian dies after being hit by a car while crossing the road in Phang Nga

webfact

18 minutes ago, Road Warrior said:

i agree must have been speeding . as norm for Thais  !11

And foreigners alike ... ????

100kg or so on any front end or windshield dead center is going to cause quite a bit of damage, if cruising 60-90 kph.   Surely driver wasn't expecting someone to be in his path at 10pm in the evening.  Obviously took his eyes off the road for a bit longer than he should have.

Driven that road many times, and it's 2-4-6 lanes in some spots, since a major through way.  Some areas even have 2 lanes of 'frontage' rd + 6 lanes for thru traffic.

6 lane divided highway as it passes thru the Khao Khak beach area.

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

And foreigners alike ... ????

100kg or so on any front end or windshield dead center is going to cause quite a bit of damage, if cruising 60-90 kph.   Surely driver wasn't expecting someone to be in his path at 10pm in the evening.  Obviously took his eyes off the road for a bit longer than he should have.

Driven that road many times, and it's 2-4-6 lanes in some spots, since a major through way.  Some areas even have 2 lanes of 'frontage' rd + 6 lanes for thru traffic.

6 lane divided highway as it passes thru the Khao Khak beach area.

Looks a major road. You cant walk slowly on major roads at night and not check traffic every 2 secs.

90kph on that road would not be fast by international stds.

18 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

F1s go 300kph. He looked to be going 100kph. Millions of cars go 100kph everyday. See it in all big towns and cities.

The walker put his life in danger.

A driver has a 98% chance of living. A walker maybe 2%.

Why take the risk?

Do risky things, someday it might kill you.

The most drive at 70-80 km/h on this street. The video shows that the sedan driver drove almost the double speed!!! Can see good that the swede looks very well about traffic before him walk over the road. And about this it's clear that there was NO CAR in sight. Him not walk slowly, him just not run over the road.

2 minutes ago, snowgard said:

The most drive at 70-80 km/h on this street. The video shows that the sedan driver drove almost the double speed!!! Can see good that the swede looks very well about traffic before him walk over the road. And about this it's clear that there was NO CAR in sight. Him not walk slowly, him just not run over the road.

160? Looks like less to me.

Just now, Sparktrader said:

Can see good that the swede looks very well about traffic before him walk over the road. And about this it's clear that there was NO CAR in sight

He looked once. Walked very slow. Thats not how you cross major roads.

Should be checking traffic every 2 secs. Should be walking briskly.

If 50% of drivers are bad why take risks walking? The odds are bad.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, snowgard said:

Than look the cars before. Him was for sure double so fast. And him not saw a person walk on the well lighted empty road? 

Other cars looked like 50 or 60. I drive in Thailand.

Lots of cars go slow, some go fast. 

50,60 then you see the 100,120 drivers.

I go in the middle watch closely.

You can only control your actions. If you assume others are bad drivers you take more care. A walker should always assume the drivers are bad, many are.

Wait for big gap, check 3 or 4 times as you walk, walk briskly. Still be alive.

36 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

F1s go 300kph. He looked to be going 100kph. Millions of cars go 100kph everyday. See it in all big towns and cities.

The walker put his life in danger.

A driver has a 98% chance of living. A walker maybe 2%.

Why take the risk?

Do risky things, someday it might kill you.

Not might will kill you, just a question of when. That doesnt excuse the driver though in any way.

2 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Just to clarify: When an accident involves speeding it's always, but always, the driver's fault. This was terrible driving at high speed - manslaughter really.  

Says reckless driving, no mention of estimated speed.

Just to clarify, once dead its too late.

Better to be safe than dead. Wait 2 mins to cross road. Take a tuk tuk. Triple check if walk.

Any fines are no value to deceased.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

He looked once. Walked very slow. Thats not how you cross major roads.

Should be checking traffic every 2 secs. Should be walking briskly.

If 50% of drivers are bad why take risks walking? The odds are bad.

do you reckon he was impaired by alcohol? I've done silly sh¡te like that after I've had a few. there but for the grace of God etc.

drinking clouds your judgement so it's easy to forget that crossing a major road like that is like dancing with the Devil.

heck, back home in South Western Sydney you have to have your wits about you just crossing a quiet suburban street. you never know when some fully sick brother in V8 Commy or a Rexxy is going to come flying out of nowhere at 100 kph.

30 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

He looked right once. You have to look 3 or 4 times whilst walking to make sure.

He walked at half pace and failed to keep checking.

Risky during the day, very risky at night.

You are responsible for your own actions. You cannot control others. There will always be bad drivers. Be a good walker and this doesnt happen.

I see.... good walkers in.. bad walkers out!????

1 minute ago, Lemsta69 said:

do you reckon he was impaired by alcohol? I've done silly sh¡te like that after I've had a few. there but for the grace of God etc.

drinking clouds your judgement so it's easy to forget that crossing a major road like that is like dancing with the Devil.

heck, back home in South Western Sydney you have to have your wits about you just crossing a quiet suburban street. you never know when some fully sick brother in V8 Commy or a Rexxy is going to come flying out of nowhere at 100 kph.

Looks drunk. A 26yo should be walking twice as fast. He is walking like an 82yo.

2 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Why, don´t we see any excuses for the Thai guy driving. Normally, there are many excuses for foreigners when an accident happens.

This is why....   what speed generates this damage when hitting a pedestrian ?  

Of course, the Swedish guy appears intoxicated and crosses the road without a great deal of concern for his surroundings.... he looked how many times, once ?

Then ‘ambled across the road’ without any great care or sense of self preservation. 

But, the oncoming car came fast.. when the Swede looked, the approaching car would have been much further away and if he was drunk, it would have been difficult for the Swede to judge the oncoming speed.... 

The video and the damage incurred to the car appears quite damning with regards to the car speeding. 

Additionally... your ‘attempted cynical irony' is utterly flawed... we only have to go back a few weeks to witness the scorn directed towards an Aus guy in Songkhla who pulled out in front of two girls on a motorcycle killing them... and another story of a Brit pensioner, allegedly drunk, reversing into a Thai man crushing him to death....  

Screenshot 2022-09-20 at 07.15.16.png

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, mancub said:

Video does show him looking the right way and waiting for 1 vehicle to pass on the nearside lane.

However the accident seems a combination of him crossing  slowly and the car's excessively fast closing speed.

Just looked at vid (posted by ignored member), and aside from very fast moving vehicle, not much I can say that wouldn't offend more than a few.

Will add, maybe the headlines of the first vehicle he obviously noticed in his drunken state, blinded him from seeing the other approaching in the far lane at speed.

R I P

One of the reasons I hate driving at night on the highway.   Really need to pay attention, and very easy to overdrive your headlights.  Though that area was well lit by streetlights.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

This is why....   what speed generates this damage when hitting a pedestrian ?  

Of course, did the Swedish man look in the correct direction before stepping out in to the road etc... there ‘may’ be other factors at play... But, the damage incurred to the car appears quite damning. 

Additionally... your ‘attempted cynical irony' is utterly flawed... we only have to go back a few weeks to witness the scorn directed towards an Aus guy in Songkhla who pulled out in front of two girls on a motorcycle killing them... and another story of a Brit pensioner, allegedly drunk, reversing into a Thai man crushing him to death....  

Screenshot 2022-09-20 at 07.15.16.png

Thats normal for 100kph. I was in a crash at 90kph as a passenger, car looked like that.

Just now, KhunLA said:

Just looked at vid (posted by ignored member), and aside from very fast moving vehicle, not much I can say that wouldn't offend more than a few.

Will add, maybe the headlines of the first vehicle he obviously noticed in his drunken state, blinded him from seeing the other approaching in the far lane at speed.

R I P

Which is why you look 3 or 4 times. Cars change lane, cars merge from side roads.

I would guess the 26yo has little to no real world road experience.

1 minute ago, Sparktrader said:

Thats normal for 100kph. I was in a crash at 90kph as a passenger, car looked like that.

You hit a bin-lorry ???

I get your point...  cars are designed to crush and cushion the impact etc... all part of the NCAP / ACAP testing and rating etc....  

But, the video also highlights the car was ‘gunning it’....  From the video it ‘could be’ established within a fair range what speed the car is calculated to be travelling at. 

As you mentioned...  thats normal for 100kmh... but thats not a 100kmh road. 

Sadly, the Swede also appears complicit in his own demise with his apparent drunken state and apparent lack of self-preservation when crossing the road. 

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

RiP to the Swede.

This appears to be the tragic result of a combination of paying little attention while crossing a major road and speeding of the oncoming vehicle. 

Bit of a 'perfect storm' as they say, with horrible results.

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

You hit a bin-lorry ???

I get your point...  cars are designed to crush and cushion the impact etc... all part of the NCAP / ACAP testing and rating etc....  

But, the video also highlights the car was ‘gunning it’....  From the video it ‘could be’ established within a fair range what speed the car is calculated to be travelling at. 

As you mentioned...  thats normal for 100kmh... but thats not a 100kmh road. 

Sadly, the Swede also appears complicit in his own demise with his apparent drunken state and apparent lack of self-preservation when crossing the road. 

Whats the speed limit?

KK had cars going 100kph in town. I waited for 400m gap in day time.

Even on foot crossings in cm i double checked just to walk 5m with cars going 50kph.

46 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

A car at 100kph travels 83m in 3 secs. If you only check traffic once 6 seconds ago thats 166m. Thats high risk walking.

You should allow a 200m gap for traffic at speed at the very least. I would wait for a 400m gap.

Why don't you stop posting rubbish?! If everyone did everything perfectly, then there would not ever be any issues.

It's not a perfect world. The car driver should have seen him and either slowed down or steered around him.

The driver did neither. meaning that he was not paying attention to what was in front of him for quite a few seconds. 

Walker did what was normal. Check and walk, expecting that any approaching driver would be able to see him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Walker did what was normal. Check and walk, expecting that any approaching driver would be able to see him.

In my world, that's not normal.  I don't expect anyone to see me when crossing the street, especially a 6 lane divided highway.

He wasn't even crossing at an corner/intersection or crosswalk, and not in the most attentive state.

Taking nothing away from driver's error in judgement, too fast and not paying attention to the road.

4 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Why don't you stop posting rubbish?! If everyone did everything perfectly, then there would not ever be any issues.

It's not a perfect world. The car driver should have seen him and either slowed down or steered around him.

The driver did neither. meaning that he was not paying attention to what was in front of him for quite a few seconds. 

No the walker went half pace, failed to check traffic every 2 secs. Thats not normal. Thats high risk. Looks drunk.

I posted the truth. Ive seen people die in road accidents.

Take risks on Thai roads your chance of dying is high.

If you dont take risks bad drivers are less likely to kill you.

2 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

It’s only September but you have already been awarded “Victim Blaming” comment of the year.

You have made 19 comments on this thread to date, and not a single word of condolence or empathy for a man that has just lost his life; just blaming him for being hit by a very fast car that appears to shown no signs of braking in the video.

Well done fella, award is in the post

Im proud of my comments. People need to take cake.

Seen people die. My friend died.

If you walk across roads like that you are taking a big risk