Swedish pedestrian dies after being hit by a car while crossing the road in Phang Nga

webfact

12 minutes ago, mommysboy said:
23 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Driver is only 100% at fault IF proven to be speeding.

IF a pedestrian steps out in-front of a car which is not speeding, the pedestrian is also complicit and at fault for their actions. 

He didn't just step out.  Yes, if say he made a sudden dash across the road just metres before, or say jumped from the middle verge in to the third lane then there would be some mitigation provided the driver was not breaking any road law.  But that didn't happen did it.

I agree....   he didn’t suddenly make a dash for it or step out at the last minute. 

He was already in the road....  having crossed after waiting for the earlier car. 

I do agree, the car ‘should’ have stopped....  But, there are also realities and the norms associated with living in Thailand, roads are far more dangerous than we are used and crossing the road is one of those well known dangers. Drivers have no respect for the rights of pedestrians. 

I suspect the driver assumed the pedestrian would wait for the car to pass as that is what all pedestrians normally do.

The pedestrian crossed the road as if no more cars were coming, because he didn’t look. 

The pedestrian may be legally in the right, especially if the car is speeding... but thats irrelevant when he’s dead. 

If only he was more cautious, he’d be alive. Is he (the deceased) fault?, is he complicit in his own demise ???

I can’t see that the deceased is completely removed from any responsibility to the incident - his own actions and inattention lead directly to his tragic demise. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

It's very evident from the video that this was an appalling piece of driving at high speed imo.

A driver must be able to stop his/her vehicle within a reasonable distance/time frame, and must be in control of his vehicle at all times with regard to the road conditions and speed laws. What's more it is hardly the case that the victim suddenly appeared in the road, like a poltergeist.  And the accident appeared to occur a short distance from a signalled intersection!

You seem to be arguing the case that under certain circumstances, perhaps the pedestrians intoxication, disability, age, or whatever, it is ok for a car driver to plough through them, which is what happened here, didn't it?

Reading comprehension goes a long way ...

"Both seem to have failed on that account."

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eaglekott said:

According to some Swedish media the speed limit was 30 km/h. 

https://www.expressen.se/nyheter/svensk-dod-i-thailand-efter-pakorning/

I'm not so sure they are correct tho...

Are there any roads in Thailand with a 30kmh (18mph) speed limit ?

On roads like his speed limit in Thailand is usually 80kmh (but I could be mistaken about the speed limit on this road).

This is the road... (google Maps Coordinates) 8.667124, 98.253023

This incident occurred within 20m of a pedestrian crossing (not that it would have made a difference).

The indigent also occurred within 30m of a traffic light controlled junction.

It's a straight road with at least 1km visibility in each direction. 

Screenshot 2022-09-20 at 12.04.17.png

Screenshot 2022-09-20 at 12.04.44.png

Screenshot 2022-09-20 at 12.07.23.png

13 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Are there any roads in Thailand with a 30kmh (18mph) speed limit ?

On roads like his speed limit in Thailand is usually 80kmh (but I could be mistaken about the speed limit on this road).

This is the road... (google Maps Coordinates) 8.667124, 98.253023

This incident occurred within 20m of a pedestrian crossing (not that it would have made a difference).

The indigent also occurred within 30m of a traffic light controlled junction.

It's a straight road with at least 1km visibility in each direction. 

Screenshot 2022-09-20 at 12.04.17.png

Screenshot 2022-09-20 at 12.04.44.png

Screenshot 2022-09-20 at 12.07.23.png

According to the article : "The driver, a 26-year-old man, remained at the scene until police arrived and then admitted that he had been driving too fast and recklessly, local media reports."

If true, then even the driver accepts his fault.  I doubt there was ever any intent and it simply was awful, awful driving. If he makes a clean breast of it, then I expect a custodial sentence will be unnecessary. 

Edited by mommysboy

8 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

According to the article : "The driver, a 26-year-old man, remained at the scene until police arrived and then admitted that he had been driving too fast and recklessly, local media reports."

If true, then even the driver accepts his fault.  I doubt there was ever any intent and it simply was awful, awful driving. If he makes a clean breast of it, then I expect a custodial sentence will be unnecessary. 

I don’t think anyone (myself included) would deny the driver was at fault. 

It is your assertion that the driver is 100% at fault which implies the pedestrian is 100% not-responsible for his own demise which I am arguing against.

My argument is that while I agree fault lies with the driver (speeding), the pedestrian is also complicit in his demise as a result of his inattention while crossing a road.

I think many people (myself included) are suggesting is that deceased made terrible judgement to cross the road in the manner he did (without attention), either due to intoxication, tiredness, distraction or another reason. 

We have to be responsible for ourselves and we should not be crossing a road without looking in any country, even if that is a pedestrian crossing in the UK.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I don’t think anyone (myself included) would deny the driver was at fault. 

It is your assertion that the driver is 100% at fault which implies the pedestrian is 100% not-responsible for his own demise which I am arguing against.

My argument is that while I agree fault lies with the driver (speeding), the pedestrian is also complicit in his demise as a result of his inattention while crossing a road.

I think many people (myself included) are suggesting is that deceased made terrible judgement to cross the road in the manner he did (without attention), either due to intoxication, tiredness, distraction or another reason. 

We have to be responsible for ourselves and we should not be crossing a road without looking in any country, even if that is a pedestrian crossing in the UK.

I was talking legally. It is 100% driver fault- he was driving so fast that there really is no argument regardless of any other factor. I was posting so vehemently because some posters seemed to be suggesting that it was six of one and half a dozen of the other.  A driver speeding or driving recklessly always adds up to 100% culpability, legally if not morally.

Of course, there are many ways to kill oneself. Stumbling drunkenly across a 3 lane highway barely bothering to glance in to the fast lane must undoubtedly be one of them, as proved graphically evident. However, had the driver been driving at a reasonable speed and had his attention been where it should have been then death would likely have been prevented.  The onus is always on the driver to stop for obvious reasons.  Somehow the driver appeared not to see the victim- that was sheer human error and can happen to anyone if attention wanders. There are grounds for leniency and mitigation imo. 

The driver of the car was breaking the speed limit by at least 50 percent . For that reason the pedestrian has to be allowed some compensation for his irresponsible way of crossing the road .

When you drive faster than the legal limit you take a huge risk if things go wrong .

Pedestrians and drivers can learn from this unfortunate incident .

My deepest sympathy to the family of the deceased 

• Thumbs Up 1