Wife is dead set on moving to London

cyril sneer

35 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

So you should a legal marriage in Thailand is recognized by the UK govt. ????

Only recognised by the fact that you have a certified and translated copy of a foreign marriage certificate. A marriage conducted outside of the UK is not entered in to the UK registrar of BDMs.
But my question was about divorce not marriage. Can a UK court grant a decree nisi and absolute for a Thai marriage when such marriage is not officially registered in the UK but registered in Thailand? If it can be done then what happens to your marriage registration in Thailand, will they accept a certified and translated copy of the UK issued decree absolute? or will the process of divorce have to be undertaken in Thailand under Thai law as well?
Seems to me it is not a simple procedure.

25 minutes ago, Cardano said:

Only recognised by the fact that you have a certified and translated copy of a foreign marriage certificate. A marriage conducted outside of the UK is not entered in to the UK registrar of BDMs.
But my question was about divorce not marriage. Can a UK court grant a decree nisi and absolute for a Thai marriage when such marriage is not officially registered in the UK but registered in Thailand? If it can be done then what happens to your marriage registration in Thailand, will they accept a certified and translated copy of the UK issued decree absolute? or will the process of divorce have to be undertaken in Thailand under Thai law as well?
Seems to me it is not a simple procedure.

A legal marriage conducted in Thailand can be dissolved in UK.

On 9/26/2022 at 2:00 AM, Cardano said:

When you compare apples with apples Thailand is very expensive compared to the UK.
Only possible exception is property prices outside of Bangkok.

I know I'm not talking about the UK, but I would agree if you live like a Farang in Thailand, housing excluded it's pretty pricey.

The flipside however, here in the US our farang costs are low, but our Thai food costs are through the roof! lol

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2022 at 9:00 PM, Cardano said:

When you compare apples with apples Thailand is very expensive compared to the UK.
Only possible exception is property prices outside of Bangkok.

Nonsense.

Comparable/ better accommodation waaaaay cheaper in LOS.

Food, waaaay cheaper in LOS.

Clothing way cheaper.

Dental far cheaper.

Transport a fraction of UK price.

It's only if one wants to live like a western millionaire that LOS is expensive.

• Thanks 2

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

I lived like a middle class Thai and it was waaaaaaaaaay cheaper than western country. Most expensive thing I bought was occasional western food.

Which is why I cook my own food.

Just had a cup of Typhoo tea, now I'm gonna cook bacon, mushrooms and maybe a fried egg for breakfast.

• Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Which is why I cook my own food.

Just had a cup of Typhoo tea, now I'm gonna cook bacon, mushrooms and maybe a fried egg for breakfast.

When I was with my wife she cooked it. She worked as a cook for an up market chain restaurant in Pattaya, so she was an excellent cook.

When I was living in an hotel I had no cooking facilities, except microwave, but I also didn't have to support her, so had enough money for occasional restaurant food on special night.

You might know the place- Gecko's near the computer center. Loved the food.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, roo860 said:

Bought one of them Tefal airfryers yday, sound as a conker!!!????????????pork steak and chips last night.

One of my favourite meals!

I have 2 air fryers, one for the chips, and one for the meat.

Saves me from having to frequently wash them, and I get my food in half the time.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I lived like a middle class Thai and it was waaaaaaaaaay cheaper than western country. Most expensive thing I bought was occasional western food.

Well it always gets done to this.

I wanted to live as an American, and honestly it was more expensive.

Now I'll fess up I'm an AC junkie but our PEA bill ran in the order of ฿7k a month.

In the depths of winter or summer runs about $250, so not so different.

Food is the biggie. I'm sorry I was never going to buy meat from the local market with the rotating fly swatter, and buy western style food and it goes through the roof.

Take out housing , and it's on a knife edge, add in health insurance and well thats a whole different ballgame

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Food is the biggie. I'm sorry I was never going to buy meat from the local market with the rotating fly swatter, and buy western style food and it goes through the roof.

Plenty of 'pork shops' around, fresh meat butchered every day.

Way better than the markets or supermarkets.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, GinBoy2 said:

Well it always gets done to this.

I wanted to live as an American, and honestly it was more expensive.

Now I'll fess up I'm an AC junkie but our PEA bill ran in the order of ฿7k a month.

In the depths of winter or summer runs about $250, so not so different.

Take out housing , and it's on a knife edge, add in health insurance and well thats a whole different ballgame

I never got the point of moving other side of the world to live and then complain that it's expensive to live the same life style when living local is really cheap in comparison..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Are you saying one can go to the Thai embassy and get a mutual divorce for 20 baht, as in Thailand.

Having to employ lawyers and such like is not cheap.

You know full well I did not mean that if divorce is carried out in UK.

I do know from experience.

On 10/7/2022 at 8:41 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Nonsense.

Comparable/ better accommodation waaaaay cheaper in LOS.

Food, waaaay cheaper in LOS.

Clothing way cheaper.

Dental far cheaper.

Transport a fraction of UK price.

It's only if one wants to live like a western millionaire that LOS is expensive.

You must live in a different LOS than the rest of us;
Comparable/ better accommodation waaaaay cheaper in LOS - Comparable and better than what? Compare UK and European build quality with the Thai built rubbish and it's obvious why Thai property is cheap? You cannot compare the two from a quality and value for money perspective. If you're talking about renting then compare central BKK and London rental prices, not much difference yet quality of London property is far superior to BKK.

Food, waaaay cheaper in LOS - what food is way cheaper? if your talking about UK food then you're delusional. 

Clothing way cheaper - genuine brand items are far more expensive in LOS that's why Thai HISO wannabees fly to Europe and the USA to buy clothes. Can only assume you're talking about cheap knock-off copies from the local market.

Dental far cheaper - Private vs Private is cheaper in LOS, agreed, but not far cheaper. Plus if registered with NHS dentist then it's a no-brainer.

Transport a fraction of UK price - Taxis agree, buses and trains in LOS are smoke belching under maintained archaic clapped-out pieces of junk that should have been scrapped 20+ years ago, hence cannot be compared to the modern equivalent in UK.

As for your last comment you're totally wrong, it's only if one wants to live like a Thai upcountry bumpkin eating rice and offal for every meal that makes LOS cheap. Most westerners just want to enjoy the normal food that they grew up with in their own country. What you're implying is that all expats should live and eat like a Thai blue collar worker.

Notice you conveniently didn't mention the cost of motor vehicles produced in LOS compared to the same models in Europe, also white goods, sports equipment, non-Chinese brand power and hand tools, branded spirits, kitchen appliances, etc, etc.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2022 at 8:52 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

I lived like a middle class Thai - Explains everything. lol

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2022 at 11:16 PM, Cardano said:

Dental far cheaper - Private vs Private is cheaper in LOS, agreed, but not far cheaper. Plus if registered with NHS dentist then it's a no-brainer.

Transport a fraction of UK price - Taxis agree, buses and trains in LOS are smoke belching under maintained archaic clapped-out pieces of junk that should have been scrapped 20+ years ago, hence cannot be compared to the modern equivalent in UK.

LOL.

Dental is very much waaaaaaaaay cheaper in Thailand, and I was registered with an NHS dentist in London.

I had teeth done in both countries, mainly Thailand because it's so much cheaper. Plenty of root canals and crowns.

Have you not been in Bkk since they built skytrain and underground?

Intercity buses are modern and certainly not clapped out pieces of junk. I've been on plenty and better than the National Express intercity buses in the UK that I used.

Trains were not the best, but very cheap compared to UK and I never had a problem with second class sleepers.

• Thanks 1