Wife is dead set on moving to London

cyril sneer

My ex wife wouldn't dream of living in Thailand. She loves Melbourne and Australia. The availability of well paid work, the big open clean streets with wide footpaths, she can get all her Thai food with better quality meat and vegetables, not hot all the time, etc etc. Not UK but similar principle. Not sure it helped or hindered our relationship - probably gave her more options but 6 years was enough for both of us. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

What?  Maybe you have not been back there for a long time, but these days British food and fusion food, together with the standard of food on restaurants it some of the best in the world.  There is some much choice too for special diets like vegan, organic or vegetarian etc...much more then here in Thailand. 

Your post hits the nail on the head! Fusion is not british, instead it is a blend ????

I am German so it is either Muesli or Black Bread for breakfast, but agreed apart from bread the German kitchen is not great as well as it lacks spices. The italian indian and japanse cuisine tops the world for me. Anyway the funny thing is taste is "learned" while being a kid. The learning determines what you like to eat as well as what music you like to hear. Cheers to the british people!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, stat said:

Your post hits the nail on the head! Fusion is not british, instead it is a blend ????

I am German so it is either Muesli or Black Bread for breakfast, but agreed apart from bread the German kitchen is not great as well as it lacks spices. The italian indian and japanse cuisine tops the world for me. Anyway the funny thing is taste is "learned" while being a kid. The learning determines what you like to eat as well as what music you like to hear. Cheers to the british people!

I think British food was traditionally good, but later, conscience food and cost cutting, together with American style food, made it really bad...and bland!

Today, thanks to fusion foods and influence from immigrants and other cultures, the UK have some wonderful food.

Even the original home cooked pies and mushy peas, fish and chips etc are still delicious.

The low quality foods came from the 1970 - 90''s in my opinion.  Frozen meals, microwave meals, cheap gastro pub stuff and fast food.  

Also, people forgot how to cook....or what made a balanced diet, they were not taught by their parents and they stopped teaching it at schools. 

Thankfully now people are starting to appreciate good food again and are much more adventurous with what they cook. 

17 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

It sounds to me you have never taken a Thai wife back to UK especially London have you. 

What are these sounds you are hearing? My Thai wife and I have visited the UK numerous times over the last 20 years, from the Scottish Highlands and Islands down through all the English national parks and quaint little towns and villages. toured all of Devon and Cornwall and most of Wales. Oh and we've done London 3 times but there's much much more to the UK than London. So your silly presumption is wrong but it actual reads as though for you London is the UK and that you've not ventured much further a field.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

So, exactly how are you helping the OP of this thread?

The OP asked for a documentary on reality and from what I saw was typical comments from posters reeling off all the anti UK negatives they can dream up, that is not the reality. I am just providing some balance with the positives about the UK, yes we know certain places are not exactly appealing all countries have these places, especially Thailand. But the UK is generally regarded as one of the most uniquely beautiful and diverse countries in the world.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cardano said:

What are these sounds you are hearing? My Thai wife and I have visited the UK numerous times over the last 20 years, from the Scottish Highlands and Islands down through all the English national parks and quaint little towns and villages. toured all of Devon and Cornwall and most of Wales. Oh and we've done London 3 times but there's much much more to the UK than London. So your silly presumption is wrong but it actual reads as though for you London is the UK and that you've not ventured much further a field.

Good for you we all have different way of carrying our lives out.

My wife was in UK for 3 years, when I finished work to retire I took her travelling all over UK excluding Ireland which was the place she like the best. 

My wife never wanted to stay there and she could of stayed if she wanted to after being there over 2 years.

While my wife was with me in UK she went back to Thailand 4 times a year for a couple of weeks. 

18 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

And what about the OPs happiness?

Should he give up his job, most likely end in debt from the move, become unsure of his future and be miserable for the rest of his life because his wife dragged him away from where he is settled his life, on a whim, a flight of fantasy?

That's up to the OP to decide, not posters on this forum. What he should do is have a balanced discussion with her about the pros and cons of living in either Thailand or the UK and come to a conclusion they both agree on. Feeding her just the negatives is naive at best, she can see for herself on SM what living in the UK is really like.

12 minutes ago, Cardano said:

The OP asked for a documentary on reality and from what I saw was typical comments from posters reeling off all the anti UK negatives they can dream up, that is not the reality. I am just providing some balance with the positives about the UK, yes we know certain places are not exactly appealing all countries have these places, especially Thailand. But the UK is generally regarded as one of the most uniquely beautiful and diverse countries in the world.

The OP asked for a documentary on reality

No he did not, he asked for help in convincing his wife about the problems of moving to/living in the UK.

But the UK is generally regarded as one of the most uniquely beautiful and diverse countries in the world.

By who, you?

If it is so great, why don't you live there?

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Cardano said:

That's up to the OP to decide, not posters on this forum. What he should do is have a balanced discussion with her about the pros and cons of living in either Thailand or the UK and come to a conclusion they both agree on. Feeding her just the negatives is naive at best, she can see for herself on SM what living in the UK is really like.

That's up to the OP to decide, not posters on this forum.

And where did I say anything of the sort?

In fact, you were the one trying to force the OP's hand:

think the OP needs to ask himself what is the most important his wife and her happiness or his reasons for wanting to stay in thailand.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

No he did not, he asked for help in convincing his wife about the problems of moving to/living in the UK.

But the UK is generally regarded as one of the most uniquely beautiful and diverse countries in the world.

By who, you?

I find it hard to understand why someone would go back to England at this time.

Pre-covid maybe it was somewhat attractive especially for rubber boats people but the social security system is good enough for them and there safety anyhow. 

Fortunately my family are OK but they all of them say the country is in a real mess. 

• Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, Cardano said:

next time you go back to the UK try and get out a bit more, you'll be amazed.

Go Back? Really? You know, not only one on this forum is a brit. But we all know, you have the best people, the best cities, the best of everything. That´s why you have the mad expression "best of British". Almost same mad as "hunky dory"! And by all means, do not tell people that you call them. just say "I give you a bell". Still, you have not understood that Graham Bell did not invent the phone. It was Edison. Wonder how long time it´s going take to change to "I give you an edison".

Only that kind of abuse of English will make me stay away from UK, among many other things your arrogant society have to offer. I am amazed that a Thai woman can have the wish to move to London. Will probably be like 80-90% that tried. They will be back here telling horrible stories for a lifetime. ????

Edited by Gottfrid

6 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

By who, you?

Try reading the concluding statement at the end of the OPs thread........How else can I convince her? Maybe a documentary on reality…

As to your second point may be a better question would be who doesn't regard the UK as one of the most uniquely beautiful and diverse countries in the world. Answer........some UK expats whose lives revolve around trying defend that where they live is utopia. But in answer to your question yes me and the 37,000,000+ visitors every year, plus the millions who actually live in the UK and love it.

Your 3rd point is a bit, well pointless really, there are many great countries in the world to live but I don't live there! There are many great cars in the world but I don't own one! etc. etc.

5 minutes ago, Cardano said:

Try reading the concluding statement at the end of the OPs thread........How else can I convince her? Maybe a documentary on reality…

As to your second point may be a better question would be who doesn't regard the UK as one of the most uniquely beautiful and diverse countries in the world. Answer........some UK expats whose lives revolve around trying defend that where they live is utopia. But in answer to your question yes me and the 37,000,000+ visitors every year, plus the millions who actually live in the UK and love it.

Your 3rd point is a bit, well pointless really, there are many great countries in the world to live but I don't live there! There are many great cars in the world but I don't own one! etc. etc.

Okay, obviously English is not your first language.

Try running the posts through an online translator into your native language.

That way you will have a better understanding of the thread.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Go Back? Really? You know, not only one on this forum is a brit. But we all know, you have the best people, the best cities, the best of everything. That´s why you have the mad expression "best of British". Almost same mad as "hunky dory"! And by all means, do not tell people that you call them. just say "I give you a bell". Still, you have not understood that Graham Bell did not invent the phone. It was Edison. Wonder how long time it´s going take to change to "I give you an edison".

Only that kind of abuse of English will make me stay away from UK, among many other things your arrogant society have to offer. I am amazed that a Thai woman can have the wish to move to London. Will probably be like 80-90% that tried. They will be back here telling horrible stories for a lifetime. ????

You haven't got a Scooby.

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Graham Bell was before Edison. Others before them in some form but Bell with documented proof.

Invention of the telephone - Wikipedia

The term 'Give me a bell' likely came from the noise of the bell on the phone rather than due to Mr Bell.

Life in both places can work well if you are a happy person willing to work a bit.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Graham Bell was before Edison. Others before them in some form but Bell with documented proof.

Invention of the telephone - Wikipedia

The term 'Give me a bell' likely came from the noise of the bell on the phone rather than due to Mr Bell.

Life in both places can work well if you are a happy person willing to work a bit.  

Unfortunately Gottfrid seems to be a bit of a divvy.????

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, roo860 said:

You haven't got a Scooby.

OP's wife needs more than a Scooby, don't know if he knows either that as her husband if he does help her to eventually stay and work in UK he needs to show £62,500 in savings or get a job to earn more than £18,000 a month for her to stay with him for 2 years and 9months. 

If she can get a holiday visa she will have to come back to Thailand at the end of that Visa period and apply again, if she overstayed she would disqualify herself from future visa's.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

You really are having problems understanding this, aren't you?

He was asking for a way out of having to leave everything that he has for an uncertain future, a way to convince his wife that moving to the UK would be a mistake.

The negative views are to help him to convince her that the UK is not the right place.

As mentioned before, your positive views on the UK would not help him in this matter.

Seems to me you are the one with the problem, they call it self interest by only telling one-side of a story!!

What you are advocating is that he misleads his wife by using devious methods to protect his own self interest, is that your perception of how a true relationship works?

Why can he not sit down with his wife and explain the reasons why he moved to Thailand, why he married her, and the real reasons why he doesn't want to go back to the UK. Even compromise and agree to take there for a holiday every once in awhile. Her response will tell him how strong a relationship they have.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

You didnt understand .

"Give you a bell" idsnt a reference to who invented the telephone, its a reference to the noise the phone makes when it rings .

The term dates back to when landlines used to ring a bell when a call was made , "give you a bell" = give you a call 

• Like 1