Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Wife is dead set on moving to London

cyril sneer

6 minutes ago, HauptmannUK said:

When I got married the plan was early retirement and a permanent relocation to Thailand.  However my new wife wanted a holiday in England....

She came for six months and really liked the village where I have a house. Loved fish and chips, Sunday roasts, vivid green countryside and 'stone villages' (Cotswolds etc). Also found Thai food ingredients ('big city' about 25 miles away) and very quickly found some Thai friends.

She then wanted to spend a longer period in the UK and got a spouse visa. I went along with it and we compromised by splitting our time between UK and Thailand.

She then got friendly with an English businesswoman and moved a chunk of money from Thailand to jointly invest in a small hotel. I thought it was a terrible idea and expected her to lose everything. Well, against all expectations, and despite Covid, she's done really well and overall returns herself several times the average UK salary. When we're in the UK she works in the hotel managing the staff and dealing with guests. Its an amazing achievement given her spoken English is still quite poor, poor written English and very limited IT skills. She's extremely good at dealing with people though.

She now has a British passport and we have agreed to split our time 50/50 between UK and Thailand. Not entirely what I had planned but I do appreciate the financial situation and the fact she has something to focus her mind on.

How did you Wife manage to survive the cold weather ?

Didn't She drop down dead when it got cold ?

Abd She hasn't been stabbed to death or died of British food?

Your Wife is very lucky ....................................

• Haha 2

Cost of living throughout the West is a killer. You wouldn't be able to live in a city center without a high income. Perhaps a suburb, or in the countryside, or if you could arrange a living situation with family. My wife and I plan on returning to my mom in the Midwestern US. That's the only way it'll work for me. I otherwise aren't going to pay $2k a month in rent, half a teacher's salary. My wife's also anxious to work, $20/hr versus the 10 bucks a day she's getting here.

4 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Your wife has a fantastic idea. London is among the best cities in the world. First class cuisine, West End shows, first class tourist attractions, awesome night life. 

I lived in Beaconsfield, just outside the M25. Beautiful woods for trekking and walking the dogs, great British pubs with the best ales in the world. 

If you love your wife, you shouldn’t deprive her of the opportunity to experience life in a first world country.

Although it would be a different situation if a person arrived in the UK and had to find accommodation and work .

At minimum you would need a place to live in or an income of well , a large income 

• Thumbs Up 1

This is tricky as the only way she will get it will be by experiencing it herself.

I moved to Europe with my Mrs several years ago, we came back to Thailand after 18 months and now she is perfectly aware of how lucky she is compared to most "mia farangs" who are stuck over there leading s**t lives.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Although it would be a different situation if a person arrived in the UK and had to find accommodation and work .

At minimum you would need a place to live in or an income of well , a large income 

Majority of posters in this forum are multi millionaires, didn’t you know? I was a pauper, only had a 4 bedroom house in Beaconfield (although I had a flat in Croydon for when I did not wish to commute to work there) and drove a  Lexus 300. Even then, I could live comfortably with my wife, 2 kids, nanny and a border collie.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Actually , many posters have stated it would be financially difficult for them to move back to the U.K , you are in a small group of people who are extremely rich and well off , they are playing the violin and you are blowing your own trumpet 

I beg to differ. Many posters rubbish Indian, Chinese, Russian tourists as being low quality, low spending, tight as gnats and sharing a bottle of water between 4 of them. Presumably therefore, they are the ones that are extremely rich and that only western tourists are of high quality and rich.

I am far from rich which is why I will never look down on anyone regardless of their net worth.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

I beg to differ. Many posters rubbish Indian, Chinese, Russian tourists as being low quality, low spending, tight as gnats and sharing a bottle of water between 4 of them. Presumably therefore, they are the ones that are extremely rich and that only western tourists are of high quality and rich.

I am far from rich which is why I will never look down on anyone regardless of their net worth.

Two different things there :

Living in the U.K and holidaying in Thailand . 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Your wife has a fantastic idea. London is among the best cities in the world. First class cuisine, West End shows, first class tourist attractions, awesome night life. 

I lived in Beaconsfield, just outside the M25. Beautiful woods for trekking and walking the dogs, great British pubs with the best ales in the world. 

If you love your wife, you shouldn’t deprive her of the opportunity to experience life in a first world country.

First class cuisine, West End shows, first class tourist attractions, awesome night life. 

All of which is very expensive. You apparently assume HE can afford that lifestyle for HER.

I had to choose between west end shows, first class tourist attractions and holidays in Thailand. LOS won.

10 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Actually that's not hard if one is allowed to work. I stayed at a hostel till I found a rental, joined an agency within a week, and started work immediately.

17 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Cost of living throughout the West is a killer. You wouldn't be able to live in a city center without a high income. Perhaps a suburb, or in the countryside, or if you could arrange a living situation with family. My wife and I plan on returning to my mom in the Midwestern US. That's the only way it'll work for me. I otherwise aren't going to pay $2k a month in rent, half a teacher's salary. My wife's also anxious to work, $20/hr versus the 10 bucks a day she's getting here.

Well what you say raises the issue that 'Farangland' is not one magical place, it's a wide open <deleted> shoot.

For the OP London would be horribly difficult, it was super expensive when I was visiting 20 years ago. Outside of London I'm sure things are affordable.

You say you are moving back to the midwest. That in itself varies widely, within region, city and State.

We live in western South Dakota which straddles the midwest and the rocky mountain west. 

My daughter lives 6 hours south of us in Denver and is currently looking to buy a house.

Everything she's looking at is at least double what we would pay here.

As for work, well, flipping burgers makes you $17/hr and literally everyone is desperate for staff, every billboard you pass is advertising for help.

So I think it's hard to paint a single picture of a farang's prospects on return to their home country

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Actually that's not hard if one is allowed to work. I stayed at a hostel till I found a rental, joined an agency within a week, and started work immediately.

Threads about a Thai wanted to go UK London. 

Without any help OP's wife may be able to get a holiday visa if she gets passed the interview at the UK Embassy.

20 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Yes let her go live there. You stay in Thailand. Thailand is way better.

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

First class cuisine, West End shows, first class tourist attractions, awesome night life. 

All of which is very expensive. You apparently assume HE can afford that lifestyle for HER.

I had to choose between west end shows, first class tourist attractions and holidays in Thailand. LOS won.

Beer is beer. Thailand has 100 beers now. Women 50% less fat. Northern curries are world class. Pork, chicken great. 7/11s great. Hotels $25. Kayaking $30. Great mountain walks. Beaches. $25 bungalow on beach. 10 baht boat trips. Waterfalls.

Apart from "shows" and museums  i cant see how London wins.

You might see 3 shows a year if that. 1 museum. Rest of year wish you werent there.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Exactly. I felt sad for him then found out his sentence structure is all bad. Felt cheated.

No, his structure was correct with no comma after dead.. 555

Edited by KannikaP

On 9/21/2022 at 8:13 AM, Kwasaki said:

Let her go alone to the English embassy that will be enough to put her off. ????

Or just take her on holiday there that is hard enough to apply for,  maybe she will see for herself things are not as easy as it probably is for the Thai rich girl on tic tok.

'English' embassy. Is there one?

• Haha 1