Wife is dead set on moving to London

cyril sneer

1 hour ago, GinBoy2 said:

Thats a good question.

For me, Yes I was bored with Thailand, but when our son decided he wasn't coming back to Thailand after college, Momma Bear was headed to the US come Hell or high water, and I was tagging along for the ride

Yeah all good what I was meaning your wife already had US citizenship, OP's wife has only Thai to get into UK from Thailand is not straight forward I guess the same for the states. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah all good what I was meaning your wife already had US citizenship, OP's wife has only Thai to get into UK from Thailand is not straight forward I guess the same for the states. 

Actually son was a US citizen she wasn't.

She jokes, well I think she's joking, that she made me marry her legally to get a green card. In point of fact we were married at the Amphur two days after Momma got the call from our son! That woman was, I kid you not on a mission.

But seriously getting a spouse into the US is a pain, but it really is a box ticking exercise, you do it pay the money and a green card shows up in the mail 2 weeks after you land.

I appreciate from everything I have read here that for Brits it's a little more arduous, language tests, civics tests etc, plus the entry to your semi Religious NHS.

So the OP would have a few more hurdles than we did, but sometimes you do what you have to do for love!

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/24/2022 at 7:54 AM, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Graham Bell was before Edison. Others before them in some form but Bell with documented proof.

Invention of the telephone - Wikipedia

The term 'Give me a bell' likely came from the noise of the bell on the phone rather than due to Mr Bell.

Life in both places can work well if you are a happy person willing to work a bit.  

Bell did not invent the telephone, it was the Italian Meucci.

In 2002, the US House of Representatives accepted that Meucci’s work was so important that it could have been enough to prevent Bell getting a patent. Over the years, Bell’s right to any credit has been challenged by evidence that he plagiarised key parts of his design.

5 minutes ago, Tiger1980 said:

“In 2002, the US House of Representatives accepted that Meucci’s work was so important that it could have been enough to prevent Bell getting a patent. Over the years, Bell’s right to any credit has been challenged by evidence that he plagiarised key parts of his design.”

18 minutes ago, Tiger1980 said:

In 2002, the US House of Representatives accepted that Meucci’s work was so important that it could have been enough to prevent Bell getting a patent. Over the years, Bell’s right to any credit has been challenged by evidence that he plagiarised key parts of his design.

It does discuss him in some detail in the link. I did note 'Others before them in some form but Bell with documented proof.' The link discusses who might be deemed to be the inventor based on contemporary evidence and such.

Quora notes this: 'Some people point to the first person that came up with an idea and published it. Some people point to the first person that came up with a working prototype. Some people point to the first person to create a practical model that can be mass produced. And some people point to the first person to patent an idea.'

A google search indicates it is not clear cut though if you have a particular criteria you may go a particular way. 

On 9/24/2022 at 11:06 AM, Nickelbeer said:

Brits generally don’t appreciate the fact that many people in the world would give anything to live in the UK.  Same situation with the USA. I am satisfied with having retired in Thailand with a nice retirement income and a Thai girlfriend who wouldn’t think of leaving Thailand.  I am a big fan of the UK but could not possibly afford to live there.

Just curious, how much do you think is needed to live in uk and how much to !I've in thailand?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Tiger1980 said:

Many Brits return to live in the U.K with a Thai wife. However their divorce rate is quite high. Some Thais can not adjust to life in the U.K. while others seem to change their thoughts on life and ideas, leading to friction.

My wife adjusted straight away ,but then i had a  house there ,my family all knew and liked her ,in fact my daughter came and lived with us, we visited my sister in wales quite a few times and my brother who lived not far away  at the time , then my daughter got married and baught a house in northern ireland and we stayed there quite a few times .

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Which does actually mean that Thailand can be a cheap Country to live in 

If you eat sleep and live like an average local yes, but if you like import food, clothes, do not feel the need for proper insurance, and also proper legal visa (I do not reckon visa with help from anagent legal given on false premises even it is wildly practiced) it is not especially a cheap or the cheapest country to live in. 

9 hours ago, Tiger1980 said:

Many Brits return to live in the U.K with a Thai wife. However their divorce rate is quite high. Some Thais can not adjust to life in the U.K. while others seem to change their thoughts on life and ideas, leading to friction.

It seems to me that the UK has nothing to do with it. A change of residence creates stress, which, as you said, leads to friction. The UK itself is a specific and rather expensive country, which is clearly not suitable for everyone.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

If taking a wife back top live in the UK, do they have to take the 'Life in the UK Test'?

Are there any questions on inventors of electronic communication devices?

I think the Brits consider you invented almost everything, although never made any money, so get her studying on everything from every drug known to man, jet engines and television lol

Just joking of course you know I love you guys

Edited by GinBoy2

6 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

If taking a wife back top live in the UK, do they have to take the 'Life in the UK Test'?

Are there any questions on inventors of electronic communication devices?

Requirements have changed since I took my wife back to England.

You can get best information on UK govt website not on this thread.

From want I understand if you take a wife back to UK if you can get that far of taking her out of Thailand your wife gets 2year 9months to get to speak enough English to understand and be able read a fair bit and also write English.

If she does not manage to pass the test the UK will give you wife another 2year 6months. 

You have to be able to support your wife and have a minimum of savings or be earning over £18,000 a year.

4 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Well the divorce rate may well be due to a major fundamental reason when 60 something Brit guy takes his 20/30 something bride back to the UK.

Suddenly she's presented with a wealth of men her own age, who shock/horror have as much money as hubby, if not more.

It would be an interesting statistic what the percentage of Thai divorcee's return to Thailand or stay in the UK (insert whatever western country you want)

I know I'll get some hate for this!

No hate from me. I understand that money is the main factor in attracting Thai women. When you remove them from Thailand, you are then subject to western laws which favor women in all cases. Plus, (as already noted) many of the men in her age group will be as well-compensated as hubby.

Best to RETIRE in places like Thailand and the Philippines and avoid the hassles of dealing with reality. Ride the train until it crashes.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Tiger1980 said:

Hmmm........can you provide evidence supporting the high divorce rate you state. Yes some Thais have a problem adapting, or not, to life in the UK but I think the vast majority are very happy.
Also be interested to learn how all these Brits who married a Thai in Thailand can actually get divorced in the UK?

3 minutes ago, Cardano said:

When you compare apples with apples Thailand is very expensive compared to the UK.
Only possible exception is property prices outside of Bangkok.

I have friends who live and work in Bangkok, and pay decent cheap rent for apartments walking distance from public transport, shopping and entertainment. Not necessary more expensive living in Bangkok comparing to Pattaya which is the cheapest known western tourist destination among Chiang Mai. We are talking about studios ranging from 50 - 70m2 and prices below 10k up to 17,5k

15 hours ago, Nickelbeer said:

I would think at least 4 thousand USD for UK.  I live in Thailand on. 2680 USD a month.

Depends on how you want to compare the two. If we take property out of the equation then the UK is much cheaper than Thailand based on having the same standard of living in each. If you want to adopt a typical Thai standard of living in Thailand then Thailand would be the cheaper. You need to compare apples with apples to get a clear perspective, which will show that overall the UK is the cheaper option. By the way many people have a decent lifestyle in the UK on less than 2680 USD per month.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, camilla99 said:

It seems to me that the UK has nothing to do with it. A change of residence creates stress, which, as you said, leads to friction. The UK itself is a specific and rather expensive country, which is clearly not suitable for everyone.

The UK is a rather expensive country compared to what other country of a similar ilk?

22 minutes ago, Cardano said:

Hmmm........can you provide evidence supporting the high divorce rate you state. Yes some Thais have a problem adapting, or not, to life in the UK but I think the vast majority are very happy.
Also be interested to learn how all these Brits who married a Thai in Thailand can actually get divorced in the UK?

So you don't know it all then. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I have friends who live and work in Bangkok, and pay decent cheap rent for apartments walking distance from public transport, shopping and entertainment. Not necessary more expensive living in Bangkok comparing to Pattaya which is the cheapest known western tourist destination among Chiang Mai. We are talking about studios ranging from 50 - 70m2 and prices below 10k up to 17,5k

Please note I said property prices not rental prices, that's a whole different ball game.
Yes I agree there are cheap rentals in BKK, yet there are extortionately expensive rentals as well, all depends on location.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cardano said:

I bow down to thee Oh Omniscient One, the being of infinite knowledge, the one who know all!!

So you should a legal marriage in Thailand is recognized by the UK govt. ????

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1