Wife is dead set on moving to London

cyril sneer

Why do you need to convince her. If you are made for each other, both of you will understand, make decisions and stick together. If she want London and will not change. You want Thailand and will not change. Then it´s final. 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, bob smith said:

start making her fish and chips for dinner every night and tell her this is what you've got to look forward to. she will soon change her tune..

My wife really enjoyed fish and chips when she visited the UK. Normally after a visit to the local pub.

At the end of the day it's just another version of fried fish, something that Thai people eat all the time.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

My wife really enjoyed fish and chips when she visited the UK. Normally after a visit to the local pub.

At the end of the day it's just another version of fried fish, something that Thai people eat all the time.

Still one of my wife's favourites, here in Thailand. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

Has she ever been to the UK?

Take her on a mid autumn fortnight to Bradford and let her figure it out herself.

Live quite south but this is my plan, let her visit for 2 weeks and go around every <deleted>hole there is 

Edit> We both currently live in Thailand with decent income and accommodation

Tried explaining that we’d be working in supermarkets and wouldn’t save a penny.

Im sure she’d change her mind if visited, if not she can stay there and I’ll stay here 

Edited by cyril sneer
  • Like 2

Ah! The old listening to another Thai girl on social media. They paint a picture that the roads are paved with gold

Maybe show her some photos of the Mall, Hyde Park Corner and other local landmarks when gridlocked in the  rush hour.

I had to explain to the GF that London only ever looks empty like that at very special occasions, such as a State Funeral and that normally it is packed with traffic, and suffers polluted air the  same as BKK.

• Like 1

Let her go alone to the English embassy that will be enough to put her off. ????

Or just take her on holiday there that is hard enough to apply for,  maybe she will see for herself things are not as easy as it probably is for the Thai rich girl on tic tok.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

After watching the queens funeral and Googling London salaries she is more ‘sure’ than ever before.

Google is your best friend, just get her to google London rents, London electricity bills, London weather etc.

It is the loneliness and the cultural differences that will wear her down eventually. Couple that with the constant grey skies and drizzle of autumn and the cold of winter. 

The bad news from your point of view is all this takes time to have an effect and you don't want to spend months/years for this to take its toll on her.

Perhaps a visit to some godforsaken sink estate could circumvent the the whole process for you.

5 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Now I can't really comment on some of the practicalities of getting your lady to the UK, but.....

I'm an American Anglophile I've loved your country since I first visited back in the 80's, actually before that when I lived my teenage nerd life listening to the BBC WS on shortwave.

Maybe you should let her experience life there, at least for a while.

Nothing is forever, maybe she'll hate it, maybe love it.

But if you say a absolute NO, it might become that mythical magical 'farang land' and she'll resent you for not letting her experience it

For Americans easy to go London England but as I said with assistance from her English husband/partner as a Thai let her try to get there that be a a mountain to climb just for starters. 

1 hour ago, cyril sneer said:

Im sure she’d change her mind if visited, if not she can stay there and I’ll stay here 

It is the only way out, very difficult to try and explain.

When I first met my wife in 2005 she had traveled a bit but only in Asia and had the idea that the UK was the best country in the world.

Many years later and after several visits it is a different view altogether, ok for a holiday in the summer months but not to live.

Still finds it difficult to accept some of the things she has seen, like more people sleeping on the streets of Sheffield than you ever see here. The most recent was in May, having to travel on a train full of drunk football supporters.

Just says "how can that happen in your country."

@cyril sneerAt the end of the day it's something you and your wife have got to sit down and seriously discuss together and decide what's right for you both, it's no good relocating if one of you is going to be miserable, the same applies to staying here.

Fellow members of this forum have their own opinions, but many of them will muddy the waters.
My wife and I seriously discussed relocating some years ago, the trigger point was when I had a heart attack and she was worried about affordable healthare options, we went as far as staying in the UK for a while and my wife took her English test whilst there, in the end we didn't proceed, but we may possibly do so in the future.
What does the UK have to offer that Thailand doesn't, the NHS is far from perfect but it is there and available free of charge. Immigration rules are the consistent around the UK, none of this 90 day reporting lark and wondering what requirements an individual Immigration Officer will dream up next year, the rules are the same in Brighton, London, Leeds and Glasgow.
Yes, property is very expensive to buy or rent, power costs are through the roof, and there's things like Council Tax to factor in, I believe food prices are very much on parr with here, especially Western Foods, and yes Somtam is available, or at least the makings, wine is consderably cheaper.
You'll need to factor in the high cost of an initial application, well over £3,000 for the visa application and the NHS surcharge, this needs to be paid again after 30 months. There's the final Immigration fee after five years, but no NHS Surcharge, after which your wife would be on the way for a British Passport, some believe that is worth its weight in gold.
Despite the naysayers on here, many to return to the UK, many of whom believe they've made the right decision.
The biggest problem, as I see it, is Liz Truss.
Good luck with your family discussions.