2022 - Change from Retirement O to Marriage O visa

Hey all. Recently I left my employment here for a contract in Vietnam, which fell through at the last minute due to ridiculous red tape. Anyhow, I had to quickly get a one-year Thai visa again and the fastest was the Retirement visa. I am married to a Thai, we own our property and in the past just had Non-O Marriage visas. I am now setting up a company here for my consulting gigs and will need to shift from Retirement to eventually a Non-B for the work permit within the next 2-3 months.

I am quite familiar with all the visa options so I don’t need advice on the special visas but I do wonder how best to begin the process of transferring out of Retirement and into a visa for work (Non-B). I am told that I must leave the country and return on another visa. I am considering the following options:

1. Go to KL or Singapore and return with the 30 day Non-B for my company. Then register for the WP and the one year Non-B. Travelling is an issue these days and the length of time to process in Singapore and KL has extended to up to 5 working days whereas in the past it was 2-3 days max. This just adds more cost to the trip.

2. Transfer over from Retirement to Marriage visa without leaving the country. Later obtain the work visa via the Non-O Marriage to Non-B. This option requires a two step approach and added administration, time and costs but avoids the flights and accommodations. 

Just some background, I live and will work in Samut Prakan Province so I will not be dealing with Bangkok Immigration, only the SP Immigration office which I have dealt with for many years (nice folks there).

Anyone with the right experience and understanding that can give me some alternative ideas (not the expensive 5-year visas, not interested) in this process? Thanks ! 

What category of visa did you apply for. Do you non-o visa or a OA visa issued by a a embassy or consulate.

If you actually applied for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement issued by immigration. That can only be changed to a different reason for a extension when it near to the day it expires.

You can get a work permit and work with a non-o visa or extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai.

As Joe explained, the reason for your permission to stay can usually only be changed at Immigration at the time your existing permission to stay expires. Thus, assuming your permission to stay is not conveniently ending at the right time, you need to exit Thailand (without a re-entry permit) and return. For the return, a Non B or Non O visa (marriage) would both be OK. You can work on a permission to stay based on marriage. It is also possible just to return visa exempt, and sort out a "conversion" visa at Immigration.