Introduction to Thai Immigration

My daughters introduction as a Adult to Thai Immigration .

After confirming with Thai Embassy London the procedure  for renewing her Thai Passport, following there advise and with ALL required documents in hand, she set off for Thailand without her boring PARENTS, to see her Thai family.

Arrived Thailand renewed her Passport, visited family in Nong Khai and surrounding areas not missing her mothers No.1-2-3 temples plus the one her Mother helped build.

Then down to Phuket, friends, Sun, fun. So you maybe asking what's the problem? She left Phuket for Bangkok, SUVARNABHUMI AIRPORT, check in ok, Hello Immigration. IMMIGRATION you are 12 days overstay 6,000 baht please,???? Daughter but I'm travelling on a THAI PASSPORT, you are ENGLISH overstay 6,000 baht. ????

at the end of the day she HAD to pay.

Even with all her Paperwork in order Embassy London, New Passport passport office. Birth Certificate, and she speaks Thai FLUENTLY .You overstay 6000 baht.????

She now wonders what's the point of being PROUD to be Thai when IMMIGRATION are to charge her OVERSTAY on a THAI PASSPORT.

Waking me UP  04:00 UK time, not crying, shouting, or screaming as her mother would be doing .only asking WHY. ?  My only comment I could think of that early was,

" WELCOME TO THAILANDS IMMIGRATION SYSTEM for TOURISTS " 

She says she will NOT be standing in any QUEUE to go back to Thailand .again

which is sad, she has family and friends there, I told her to have a good sleep on the plane, and put it down to experience and the learning curve. 

Edited by chinajohn69
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

I am calling BS on this. You do not encounter Immigration on domestic flights, you don't even need a passport to fly.

She checked for a international flight Suvarnabhumi not a domestic flight. The had the problem at departure immigration.

1 hour ago, chinajohn69 said:

Sun, fun. So you maybe asking what's the problem? She left Phuket for Bangkok, SUVARNABHUMI AIRPORT, check in ok, Hello Immigration. IMMIGRATION you are 12 days overstay 6,000 baht please,???? Daughter but I'm travelling on a THAI PASSPORT, you are ENGLISH overstay 6,000 baht. ????

at the end of the day she HAD to pay.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chinajohn69 said:

She received her advise from Embassy London, they accepted it was ok to travel Thailand with her Thai ID card, arriving Bkk Immigration accepted her ID card in place of expired passport.

Passport was renewed at Passport office. ALL now in order. and legal.

Did she have a UK Passport with her.  Better check the Passport for the arrival stamp....it will also have the overstay stamp inside as well and with the amount paid.......

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

yes she did have her UK Passport. she explained situation at Immigration BKK, and they accepted her ID card.

I have told her to put this down to experience.

Her only question to me, was she had a Thai Passport. how can she be charged overstay.? I have no idea if her UK passport was stamped  will check when she gets back UK.  

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Appears she entered Thailand with UK passport. 

As a result she in same boat as and non Thai tourist.

Poor advice from parents? 

It appears to me that this is a stupid troll topic. You do not encounter any immigration officials when checking in and boarding a flight from Suvarnabhumi to Phuket. If (highly unlikely) she encountered a scammer who convinced her that they were from Immigration and handed over 6,000 baht, that would not be Immigration's fault.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chinajohn69 said:

hindsight is a wonderful thing, at present I believe she is about 35,000 feet 2 hours out of BKK. will check when she gets back LONDON.

Please let us know.  Check that passport for the stamp as well as the overstay stamp.

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

She checked for a international flight Suvarnabhumi not a domestic flight. The had the problem at departure immigration.

I didn't see any mention of an international flight in the OP (I understand that is where an issue could arise if she was stamped in on a British passport)..

I read this "She left Phuket for Bangkok, SUVARNABHUMI AIRPORT, check in ok, Hello Immigration....."..... as referring to a Phuket/Bangkok flight.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Her Thai ID card is irrelevant as it can't be used to enter Thailand. It seems obvious that she used her UK passport to enter Thailand. A lesson learned, I think.

as a Thai citizen you may return to TH overland with ID card only from e.g. Laos, Khmer, Malay (?)

4 minutes ago, thurien said:

as a Thai citizen you may return to TH overland with ID card only from e.g. Laos, Khmer, Malay (?)

Correct, through the border entry points only, and not while entering or leaving on an international flight.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, thurien said:

Only if they got a border pass to enter some of them that allows a short stay.

A case where a Thai could leave another country without a valid Thai passport would be they had a passport for the other country (dual nationalities).

• Like 1

I have posted this before but on another thread. My daughter returned to Thailand from California on Sept 5. Both her Thai passport and ID were expired, and she was carrying her US passport. Just to avoid a possible situation like this we asked her to enter on her expired Thai passport. When attempting to do this she was warned she could not leave Thailand at all without a new passport as her US passport would not have a stamp. She entered on the expired Thai and that Friday we got both the passport and ID renewed. On the following Tuesday her new Thai passport arrived via EMS. So on departure she showed entry on the old Thai passport and then exit on her new one. 

I have no idea what happened to your daughter but it does not seem the same procedure as I outlined here was used, as this way there was absolutely no problem. Looking forward to seeing how your daughters tale of woe turns out.  

• Like 2

On arrival the only valid passport held for travel was the British one.  She was apparently landed on this despite showing her old, expired Thai ID and passport. Expired documents are not proof of current citizenship.

It was reasonable, and easier, for the incoming IO to process entry with the only valid document. If she hadn't presented the British PP then entry may have been delayed while her claims were investigated.

She then obtained a new, valid Thai passport confirming her dual citizenship. She later attempted to depart using the new passport, but inflexible and poorly trained staff would only accept her as the Brit citizen she was when landed, hence the fine.  They could have been more flexible and sensible in waiving a fine, but Thailand.

The computer system could have been updated to reflect her status as a Thai, and obviously fines could not be legally levied.

Computers can be more flexible than those operating them,

Edited by Old Croc
  • Like 2