Would you imagine Thailand or Scotland to be more welcoming to American retirees?

GammaGlobulin

As Frankie Boyle, the greatest scot of all time pointed out, "It's either a fortnight in Spain or a weekend in Edinburgh for the same dosh, and even the Scots themselves have voted with their feet."

In my former Appalachian home, the yearly Scottish games and culture-fest was a massive yearly crush of hard drinking and reveling.

They're just behind the Irish for American cultural idolization that stops well short of ever actually visiting. If something like the Black Watch bagpipe band tours, it sells out faster than Pink Floyd.

They always stress that the bagpipers will be in full regalia. If you are going to bother to sit thru an interminable bag pipe show with a LOT of Amazing Grace in the mix, you will def want maximum regalia to help you keep awake thru it. Partial regalia? Refund please.

England remains a distant third. Really, just a handful of fake pubs in major cities. A major culture without a street fair; only the Welsh are less represented.

Edited by LaosLover
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

As Frankie Boyle, the greatest scot of all time pointed out, "It's either a fortnight in Spain or a weekend in Edinburgh for the same dosh, and even the Scots themselves have voted with their feet."

In my former Appalachian home, the yearly Scottish games and culture-fest was a massive yearly crush of hard drinking and reveling.

They're just behind the Irish for American cultural idolization that stops well short of ever actually visiting. If something like the Black Watch bagpipe band tours, it sells out faster than Pink Floyd.

They always stress that the bagpipers will be in full regalia. If you are going to bother to sit thru an interminable bag pipe show with a LOT of Amazing Grace in the mix, you will def want maximum regalia to help you keep awake thru it. Partial regalia? Refund please.

England remains a distant third. Really, just a handful of fake pubs in major cities. A major culture without a street fair; only the Welsh are less represented.

Great whisky

On 9/27/2022 at 8:57 PM, Jingthing said:

On what basis would Scotland allow you to live there?

Scottland? Try the south of Ireland instead. Thanks to the gulf stream, even the winters are bearable. Similar landscape, frendly outgoing people.

Most major companies have their call centers in Ireland. Hiring "native speakers" to serve their customer base in most countries. Companies take care of work permits. So a legal stay without a major investement becomes possible. Salary is "adequate" but not opulent.

Drawbacks: Housing in cities is expensive. Depending on country (nationality), home country may curtail state retirement benefits as the retiree has "an income". Depends on country.

Conclusion: Unless tired of SE/Asian culture, yearnig to go back to cultural werstern roots, just stay in SE/Asia as your western "hard currency" will go much farther here than in any other western country.

On 9/27/2022 at 9:18 PM, Jingthing said:

Uh huh.

Have you looked into Portugal?

They have very popular wide open residency programs, better food, better weather, and plenty of villages.

Portugal, as all countries deeply rooted in Catholicisme have little tolerance for "alternative sexual orientations". Of importance to some.

Rats! Blimey! H*ll and damnation.

Our european grandfathers didn't know what a Visa was. They paid for the ships passage and went everywhere they wanted to go.

Now we have visa's. Filtering who can go where and for how long. Todays trend:

a) Bring a lot of money or

b) be a highly professional with a rare skill, otherwise we don't want you.

The alternative, to settle in some doubious 3rd world countries with less stringent visa requirements is not very tempting as long as one will have to live in a "gated community" with 2 heavily armed Bodyguards at your side 24/7.

Thailand is nice this time of year. Best: Thai visa requiremnts are (still) relatively "nice" all year round. Count your blessings.

42 minutes ago, swissie said:

Portugal, as all countries deeply rooted in Catholicisme have little tolerance for "alternative sexual orientations". Of importance to some.

You're wrong.

I've been.

It's fabulous.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Portugal

Lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) rights in Portugal improved substantially in the 2000s and 2010s and are now among the best in the world. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, swissie said:

Rats! Blimey! H*ll and damnation.

Our european grandfathers didn't know what a Visa was. They paid for the ships passage and went everywhere they wanted to go.

Now we have visa's. Filtering who can go where and for how long. Todays trend:

a) Bring a lot of money or

b) be a highly professional with a rare skill, otherwise we don't want you.

The alternative, to settle in some doubious 3rd world countries with less stringent visa requirements is not very tempting as long as one will have to live in a "gated community" with 2 heavily armed Bodyguards at your side 24/7.

Thailand is nice this time of year. Best: Thai visa requiremnts are (still) relatively "nice" all year round. Count your blessings.

Please name those less stringent visa countries. 

On 10/1/2022 at 5:37 PM, Jingthing said:

You're wrong.

I've been.

It's fabulous.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Portugal

Lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) rights in Portugal improved substantially in the 2000s and 2010s and are now among the best in the world. 

In majoer cities and tourist hub's yes. For same sex couples, it is still not recommended to hold hands in a small Portugise village.

On 10/1/2022 at 5:48 PM, Jingthing said:

Please name those less stringent visa countries. 

The usual suspects: Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Ecuador, Mexico.

But this is where you come in: I don't know of any other person that has put so much effort into looking at "Immigration-Rules" globally like you did. By now, you must be the ultimate authority in this field. Name your latest favourite countries. Don't hide your sheffel under your bushel. Or is it the other way around?

26 minutes ago, swissie said:

The usual suspects: Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Ecuador, Mexico.

But this is where you come in: I don't know of any other person that has put so much effort into looking at "Immigration-Rules" globally like you did. By now, you must be the ultimate authority in this field. Name your latest favourite countries. Don't hide your sheffel under your bushel. Or is it the other way around?

Thailand has lots of options if you have at least middle class money, but no viable path towards permanent residency for most.

Cambodia very easy for retirement visas, but I've heard there is tightening for others such as "business" visas.

Vietnam is not a viable destination for retirees, visa-wise. 

Ecuador has tightened / made things more expensive.

Mexico has made things much more expensive and has tried to kill the live permanently on six month visa runs option.

Colombia has tightened in all categories and for the retirement option even though affordable the retirement rules have changed in odious ways.

Except for Cambodia with the easy retirement visa and Georgia (now made expensive by so many Russians) where you can theoretically live indefinitely on one year visa runs no questions asked, I am not really aware of these scads of super easy visa countries for residency you speak about. That's why I asked you to name them. You basically can't and neither can I. Georgia assuming that most of inflation bringing Russians eventually move on does offer that easy live there for a year at a time option but they can change that rule any day, and paths towards more permanent residency are not at all easy or cheap. 

You asked which are my current backup to Thailand options.
Cambodia of course but the poor health care is unacceptable. 

Mexico for now as I can qualify with their show money option for now, but the rumors is that they plan on major immigration changes in 2023 (at the very least definitely at least more expensive but maybe much more) that might eliminate them.

Philippines still interests me. I'm curious about cool weather mountain city Baguio. 

Portugal will be good for many. I'm a bit unclear if I qualify and there has definitely been a lot of housing inflation in the expat saturated areas. 

Anyone can see a global trend here.

Edited by Jingthing

19 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Thailand has lots of options if you have at least middle class money, but no viable path towards permanent residency for most.

Cambodia very easy for retirement visas, but I've heard there is tightening for others such as "business" visas.

Mexico has made things much more expensive and has tried to kill the live permanently on six month visa runs option.

Colombia has tightened in all categories and for the retirement option even though affordable the retirement rules have changed in odious ways.

Except for Cambodia with the easy retirement visa and Georgia (now made expensive by so many Russians) where you can theoretically live indefinitely on one year visa runs no questions asked, I am not really aware of these scads of super easy visa countries for residency you speak about. That's why I asked you to name them. You basically can't and either can I. 

Mexico for now as I can qualify with their show money option for now, but rumors is that they plan on major immigration changes in 2023 that might eliminate them.

Philippines still interests me. I'm curious about cool weather mountain city Baguio. 

Thanks. Informative. This confirms what I mentioed in an other thread: "The doors are closing". (For average mortals).
On the other hand, I am quite sure that a $ 10 Million investement would give any person some sort of "permanent residence" in most countries.

Rats! That makes me a second class "world citizen".

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, swissie said:

Thanks. Informative. This confirms what I mentioed in an other thread: "The doors are closing". (For average mortals).
On the other hand, I am quite sure that a $ 10 Million investement would give any person some sort of "permanent residence" in most countries.

Rats! That makes me a second class "world citizen".

Yeah, you have been saying that. I give you credit. There are still doors but the tightening and filtering trend cannot be ignored. Of course so much changed from Covid too. 

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Except for Cambodia with the easy retirement visa and Georgia (now made expensive by so many Russians) where you can theoretically live indefinitely on one year visa runs no questions asked, I am not really aware of these scads of super easy visa countries for residency you speak about. That's why I asked you to name them. You basically can't and neither can I. Georgia assuming that most of inflation bringing Russians eventually move on does offer that easy live there for a year at a time option but they can change that rule any day, and paths towards more permanent residency are not at all easy or cheap. 

Mexico for now as I can qualify with their show money option for now, but the rumors is that they plan on major immigration changes in 2023 (at the very least definitely at least more expensive but maybe much more) that might eliminate them.

Portugal will be good for many. I'm a bit unclear if I qualify and there has definitely been a lot of housing inflation in the expat saturated areas. 

Anyone can see a global trend here.

Baguio (Phil) hit by an earthquake today. Plenty of volcanos / earthquakes in the Philippines. It's one thing to dance on a volcano (Pattaya), another thing it is to reside near a volcano. ????
--------------
Portugal: Property prices in expat saturated areas have indeed increased almost exponentionally, compared to 5 years ago.

RESULT: Plenty ou EU Retirees living in motorhomes year round. (Can park anywhere for free including the many  "Camping Rustico" sites).

Persistent rumors have it, that this "modern day, uncontrolled Gypsydom" will come to an end soon. One more door closing.

I am in Glasgow 'the now'.  Weather nice and cool, sunny. People friendly, food delicious, lots of entertainment and nightlife, no one wearing masks or scared about COVID.  Great selection of local beers, gins and whiskeys too.

Back at my home in CM there is flooding, weather is heavy rain, hot and sticky temperatures, mosquitoes, and some Buddhist alcohol ban day.  

At this moment in time I say Scotland is much better. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, swissie said:

Baguio (Phil) hit by an earthquake today. Plenty of volcanos / earthquakes in the Philippines. It's one thing to dance on a volcano (Pattaya), another thing it is to reside near a volcano. ????
--------------
Portugal: Property prices in expat saturated areas have indeed increased almost exponentionally, compared to 5 years ago.

RESULT: Plenty ou EU Retirees living in motorhomes year round. (Can park anywhere for free including the many  "Camping Rustico" sites).

Persistent rumors have it, that this "modern day, uncontrolled Gypsydom" will come to an end soon. One more door closing.

There are earthquakes every day in earthquake zones. That was a scare tactic item. 

The volcano IS a good reason to not move to Tagaytay.  

You do need to look carefully at localized natural disaster risks in many countries including Philippines, Mexico, USA, etc.

Yeah I do feel Portugal's offers might be too good to be true to continue for much longer.