Would you imagine Thailand or Scotland to be more welcoming to American retirees?

GammaGlobulin

My Dear Friends,

I have tried out most of the countries in East Asia, a few near here, and I am wondering if, and only if, the culture in Scotland might be welcoming, then I might try it out during the waning years of my life.

I am getting concerned about the GLOAMING YEARS I have left, and I wonder if I should not try to live in Scotland while I am yet agile enough to board a plane.

What would be waiting for me in Scotland, anyway?

Personally, I prefer small village life.  However, I have lived in very small villages in East Asia, and it does take a while for the natives to adjust to a newcomer.  And, I am not sure if I have that much time left, if my intention were to wait for villagers in Scotland to get used to me.

I am kind of a loner, anyway.

I enjoy crashing seas upon rocky shores.

I enjoy the cold rain.

And, I have lived in a stone house, for many years, not finely built.

Therefore, what would it be like for me, as a newcomer, living in a tiny village in Scotland, maybe not even understanding the language, just as I did not understand the language when I first arrived in Thailand?

I am just beginning to feel that, now that I am in my gloaming years, I might miss out if I did not take the final plunge to go to Scotland.  And, in my mind, I envision that this last trip of mine might be my final journey, before the Great Journey lying ahead of us, all.

Absolutely, I would have no problem loving the Celtic music in Scotland.

But, I might NEVER wish to hear JS Bach while there, too!, maybe...

One might be suspicious of my sincerity in even mentioning the wish to emigrate from Thailand to Scotland.  Yet, this seems entirely logical to me, at this stage in my life.

What might be the best place for someone like me to settle; some small village where people are friendly and cosmopolitan, and welcoming?

I prefer the quiet life, mostly.  However, I also enjoy walking around the village, and plenty of fresh air, too.

Maybe just a dream, unless I can negotiate a passage to Scotland, and some way to keep body and soul together, not wanting overly much.

Just something I am toying with, fairly seriously, not necessarily due to Global Warming issues, either.

Food for thought, maybe.

Regards,

GammaGlobulin

Please Note:  I am sure that I am not the only American here who often toys with the option of going to Scotland, to retire.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

On what basis would Scotland allow you to live there?

Maybe based on the last refuge from the insanity of the rest of the world?

Not sure, yet.

(Or, maybe as tit for tat in some partial compensation for the Lend-Lease Act of March 11, 1941?)

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Uh huh.

Have you looked into Portugal?

They have very popular wide open residency programs, better food, better weather, and plenty of villages.

It's not about any nonexistent wish to leave Thailand.

Instead, it is ALL ABOUT my wish to go to Scotland.

You see?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I would like to hear why you would like to live in Scotland? 

Before I provide my own reasons for wishing to live in Scotland, before I die, let me refer you to this link:

https://www.scotland.org/live-in-scotland

In addition to warm and friendly people, vibrant cities, and stunning scenery, I also enjoy the humor of Scotland.

Also, culture.

Equally importantly, I like the architecture.

There are many things I like about Scotland.

If I listed my likes, concerning Scotland, then I would, once more, be accused of posting too much, and writing too much, on any given thread, on this forum.

I think Scotland is right for me.

Years ago, many moons ago, I thought China was right for me.  And, it was.  But then the political winds changed, and China is no longer for me.

Thailand is like heaven on earth, for sure.

Yet, after so many years in Asia, maybe I need to get back to my roots.

You might not know this, but, some of my ancestry is Scottish.

Some of my roots might even have originated from the House of Stuart, although I cannot prove it.

One thing is for sure; I can trace my lineage back to Scotland.

Therefore, why wouldn't I wish to return home to see the land of some of my forebears?

Furthermore, I like the peace and quiet of a village in Scotland.

Maybe I like living in a house of stone, rather than in a house of reinforced concrete.

Many reasons, actually.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Before I provide my own reasons for wishing to live in Scotland, before I die, let me refer you to this link:

In addition to warm and friendly people, vibrant cities, and stunning scenery, I also enjoy the humor of Scotland.

Also, culture.

If I listed my likes, concerning Scotland, then I would, once more, be accused of posting too much, and writing too much, on any given thread, on this forum.

Years ago, many moons ago, I thought China was right for me.  And, it was.  But then the political winds changed, and China is no longer for me.

Some of my roots might even have originated from the House of Stuart, although I cannot prove it.

Therefore, why wouldn't I wish to return home to see the land of some of my forebears?

Maybe I like living in a house of stone, rather than in a house of reinforced concrete.

Many reasons, actually.

Fair enough I'm from Norway, and believe I will die in Norway if I'm going to be very old, but time will show, where this world is taking us and what surprises the future have waiting for us.

Just been to Aberdeen, and did not find that city especially charming, but I know they have beautiful landscape and interesting history, but the climate is not especially tempting.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Fair enough I'm from Norway, and believe I will die in Norway if I'm going to be very old, but time will show, where this world is taking us and what surprises the future have waiting for us.

Just been to Aberdeen, and did not find that city especially charming, but I know they have beautiful landscape and interesting history, but the climate is not especially tempting.

Nice to know where you are from, actually.

I think culture outweighs climate in most cases.

Humor, too, is culturally based.

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

AGAIN, you've established that you want to live in Scotland.

Fine.

AGAIN, on what basis do you think you will be ALLOWED to live there?

If you have no such basis, what's the point of this?

Scotland immigration is not separate from U.K. immigration.

Ancestry won't help you unless you have some kind of British connection such as a Commonwealth citizen.

Kind of like Americans who are always threatening to move to Canada or New Zealand if such and such wins an election, when most of them have no eligibility to do so, and just assume that they can. 

Are you stating that such a thing is completely impossible? 

Of course, I would never marry for the convenience of moving to Scotland. 

These days, meaning the days during the past four decades, it has become ever more difficult to just live anywhere you choose in this world. 

Still, there must always exist a legal way. 

If push comes to shove, I might be able to qualify for a paid research position at some university in Strathclyde or Edinburgh. 

I mean, I have already been to McGill. I loved it there. I was there with Pinker, but never met him. 

The academic teaching format in Scotland is just about the same as Canada. 

I think I'm still young enough to get another degree before I die. 

But, I will definitely steer clear of the baloney Social Sciences. 

All I would need is a decent academic advisor, an excellent tutor, and then, it might just be Blue Skies smiling at me. 

I know plenty of people, half my age, who have gotten a second advanced degree. 

But, this might be just one of several legal options. 

People should always keep in mind that it is never too late to reinvent oneself. 

After 45 years in Asia, I think I have paid my dues. I deserve another paper-chase opportunity at a decent institution in Scotland. 

Don't you agree? 

When I get there, I will send you a postcard. And maybe, even a few pics of me and the co-eds. 

I hope just the image of me with these co-eds in Scotland keeps you up at night. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Having just spent five months in the countryside near Inverurie for me the climate is the overriding consideration.  Even in August at times it was necessary to have a fire burning in the evening as the temperature dropped to single figures (celsius).

I don't think I would be prepared to live there twelve months a year.

But if you want a suggestion for an area to look at mine is the Moray coast north of Aberdeen.  No shortage of stone and slate cottages up there although they tend to be poor in terms of thermal efficiency.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Are you stating that such a thing is completely impossible? 

Of course, I would never marry for the convenience of moving to Scotland. 

These days, meaning the days during the past four decades, it has become ever more difficult to just live anywhere you choose in this world. 

Still, there must always exist a legal way. 

If push comes to shove, I might be able to qualify for a paid research position at some university in Strathclyde or Edinburgh. 

I mean, I have already been to McGill. I loved it there. I was there with Pinker, but never met him. 

The academic teaching format in Scotland is just about the same as Canada. 

I think I'm still young enough to get another degree before I die. 

But, I will definitely steer clear of the baloney Social Sciences. 

All I would need is a decent academic advisor, an excellent tutor, and then, it might just be Blue Skies smiling at me. 

I know plenty of people, half my age, who have gotten a second advanced degree. 

But, this might be just one of several legal options. 

People should always keep in mind that it is never too late to reinvent oneself. 

After 45 years in Asia, I think I have paid my dues. I deserve another paper-chase opportunity at a decent institution in Scotland. 

Don't you agree? 

When I get there, I will send you a postcard. And maybe, even a few pics of me and the co-eds. 

I hope just the image of me with these co-eds in Scotland keeps you up at night. 

As I suspected.

Boa sorte.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

OMG, another old falang who thinks they can roam the world and harass these very, very, very young girls and that other people will respect this action.

maybe in Thailand it works in your mind.

good luck trying that in Scotland...... 

this is the worst thing about LOS....you back to normal land and yell at the first girl...How much short time???!?!??!?!?!

impossible to reintegrate 

• Love It 2

11 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I cannot believe you posted that with a straight face.

A diet of haggis, neeps and tatties has no appeal for me. I am convinced the Scots invented whisky to make their food vaguely palatable.

Or was it to make their water potable? 

Anyway, despite your misgivings, and honestly speaking, YES, I would go to Scotland, in a heartbeat. 

What's wrong with you, anyway? 

I thought, from your many comments, that you are a genuine gentlemanly golpher. 

My grandfather had clubs of wooden shafts made in Scotland. 

Edited by GammaGlobulin

11 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Another flight of fancy that will probably change with the next book to be read. ????

Book? 

Conrad? 

There is much meat in Conrad, yet to be plumbed. 

Cyrano de Bergerac, the Swordsman of Pattaya, and his "handsome-man" nose? 

At some point, one must return to Earth. 

What better place to land, other than Scotland? 

Cost-of-living quite low. 

Quality of life, extremely high. 

If I had my ruby slippers, I would click my heels three times, and repeat the phrase, "There is no place like Scotland". 

And then, I'd be there. 

2 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Or was it to make their water potable? 

Anyway, despite your misgivings, and honestly speaking, YES, I would go to Scotland, in a heartbeat. 

What's wrong with you, anyway? 

I thought, from your many comments, that you are a genuine gentlemanly golpher. 

My grandfather had clubs of wooden shafts made in Scotland. 

AFAIK there is nothing wrong with me mentally, getting more and more challenged physically. Please, they are hickory shafts, wooden is an inadequate adjective.

In 2003, I went on a golfing tour of Scotland. Played 19 rounds of golf in 21 days. While I did enjoy myself, the food and hidebound traditions were a bit wearying.

One of my games was at Muirfield Golf Club. I don't know if it's still there, but there was a sign at the entrance. "Dogs and Women not allowed." In that order.

6 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Also, culture.

Many reasons, actually.

Lived 10 years in Scoltand.

My daughter was born there.

I enjoyed it a lot.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

AFAIK there is nothing wrong with me mentally, getting more and more challenged physically. Please, they are hickory shafts, wooden is an inadequate adjective.

In 2003, I went on a golfing tour of Scotland. Played 19 rounds of golf in 21 days. While I did enjoy myself, the food and hidebound traditions were a bit wearying.

One of my games was at Muirfield Golf Club. I don't know if it's still there, but there was a sign at the entrance. "Dogs and Women not allowed." In that order.

For sure:  Nothing inadequate about you.  NOTHING!  However, as you know, it is different in every country.  Sometimes it is Dogs and Women not allowed.  And, in other "Foreign Concessions", especially in Shanghai, it was "Dogs and Chinese not Allowed".

If only most signs had stated:  "Running Dogs are Welcome".

HOWEVER:  Please be advised that much of this is MYTH.

And, as you will agree, it is never a good idea to perpetuate a myth.

Correct?

5 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

For sure:  Nothing inadequate about you.  NOTHING!  However, as you know, it is different in every country.  Sometimes it is Dogs and Women not allowed.  And, in other "Foreign Concessions", especially in Shanghai, it was "Dogs and Chinese not Allowed".

If only most signs had stated:  "Running Dogs are Welcome".

HOWEVER:  Please be advised that much of this is MYTH.

And, as you will agree, it is never a good idea to perpetuate a myth.

Correct?

I don't see any problem with myths that do no harm. When i was about 8 or 9, I got a gift from my parents - Odham's Dictionary of the English Language.

One of the appendices was a complete list of characters in Greek and Roman mythology, along with descriptions of their lives or claim to fame. I found it quite enthralling, long before film makers moved in on the field.

what about health care?

no idea what would be available and at what cost in scotland but it is likely an important issue for most of us as we get more "senior, elderly".....in Thailand health care seems readily available at a fraction of the cost of many western countries especially if you stick to public hospitals.... and you can also have a maid /cook/caretaker daily for not much $$.....no idea but my guess is that type of care would cost a whole lot more and be more difficult to arrange in scotland and most other western countries than Thailand.  As an american i have medicare basic but to add part b as well as additional supplement cost me about $300 ++ a month ...i don't even want to contemplate what a maid/cook/caretaker would cost in usa.