Would you imagine Thailand or Scotland to be more welcoming to American retirees?

GammaGlobulin

12 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I don't see any problem with myths that do no harm. When i was about 8 or 9, I got a gift from my parents - Odham's Dictionary of the English Language.

One of the appendices was a complete list of characters in Greek and Roman mythology, along with descriptions of their lives or claim to fame. I found it quite enthralling, long before film makers moved in on the field.

Are you sure that you are from Australia? 

Before taking to the links, and putting 18 holes, just below your age, mostly in the woods, what was your profession? 

Did you work for Boeing? 

The thing is, one seldom encounters a man from Australia able to write a paragraph without first downing two liters of Foster's. 

And, very few are able to write paragraphs as tight as yours, no matter how tight they might be.

Many myths are harmful if too many of us believe in these myths. For example, Santa Claus, Mao Zedong, Rudd, and Karl Marx. 

Also, when Maoist puppets like Rudd are left free to propigate delusional thinking, after being indoctrinated at the seat of CPC power, then such mythology becomes dangerous for everyone. 

Myth and historical mythology are two separate and distinct quantities. 

For example, it is a myth that women are the weaker sex. 

After all, is it a man or a woman who carries your bag on the course? 

And, does she hold your pin, too, as you sink it in the hole? 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I cannot believe you posted that with a straight face.

A diet of haggis, neeps and tatties has no appeal for me. I am convinced the Scots invented whisky to make their food vaguely palatable.

Haggis is an abonominarion.

Haven't been there but I'm sure I would love the cultural offerings in Edinburgh. 

Edited by Jingthing

6 hours ago, Iamfalang said:

OMG, another old falang who thinks they can roam the world and harass these very, very, very young girls and that other people will respect this action.

maybe in Thailand it works in your mind.

good luck trying that in Scotland...... 

I used to do near new Hungarian girls, at lunchtime in Geneva.  Some days  it was the only way to get back productive for the  afternoon.

I can't imaging even trying to compare Scotland to Thailand. I love Scotland as a country but the winter heating bill alone would be enough to decimate an average monthly pension, add a piece of fresh fruit every week and your monthly budget would be blown. But, if you like salted porridge like my dear dad did then you will be fine. 

If you wanna go to Scotland then just pack your bags and go why would anybody post about they wanted to go to Scotland do you think the people that are reading this are experts and immigration or anything else that deals with Scotland just get off your ass and go there quit talking about a TIT

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

In both countries the Americans will have to learn the local language and culture.

That will obviously be difficult for most Americans. 

Or most Brits, if English and with Received Pronunciation. Local dialect and footie culture, no problem.

Points for Scotland:

They speak Scottish (Which might be harder to understand)

They are in general friendly

It rains and snows.

It can be very cold

It can be expensive

It might be lonely

Short winter days

Need a visa

Health treatment would be expensive

Need a car

Points for Thailand

They don't all speak English

They are in general friendly

It can be hot and sunny

It can be inexpensive

It will not be lonely

Need a visa

Health treatment would be expensive

Long sunny days

Might need a car

Hard choice?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Maybe based on the last refuge from the insanity of the rest of the world?

Not sure, yet.

(Or, maybe as tit for tat in some partial compensation for the Lend-Lease Act of March 11, 1941?)

"Last refuge" with wee Krankie in charge? You need to see a doctor immediately

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Haggis is an abonominarion.

Haven't been there but I'm sure I would love the cultural offerings in Edinburgh. 

Plenty of culture in Edinburgh, that's only part of it, rubbish not collected due to strikes.

2dee007924a131a035277cb0b7c54db8-1661358165-1024x576.jpeg

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

You said you never been to Thailand 5555

Chinese

Scotland

U must be the best troll ever

Actually, there are those who have been to Paris, and yet have never SEEN Paris. 

I must have been speaking figuratively, while you misread me literally. 

Sorry for the resultant contextual confusion. 

• Haha 1

If a person had a chance to retire in Scotland.  A lot would depend on finances. Amount of retirement income. 
While Thailand seems to draw a lot of retirees with minimal income and finances .  That could not afford to live well in a western country. 

1 hour ago, allanos said:

The Scots are (in)famously parsimonious.

There is a somewhat apocryphal story of a Jewish shopkeeper

who was obliged to leave Aberdeen because he was unable to make

a living!

It's never the wrong time to propagate antisemitic stereotypes. 

11 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It's never the wrong time to propagate antisemitic stereotypes. 

And, does this mean that there is no RIGHT time to listen to Wagner and Herbert von Karajan? 

By the way, guys in Philly always mispronounce Karajan, presumably because they think Herbert is from Spain. 

Edited by GammaGlobulin

3 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Are you sure that you are from Australia? 

Before taking to the links, and putting 18 holes, just below your age, mostly in the woods, what was your profession? 

Did you work for Boeing? 

The thing is, one seldom encounters a man from Australia able to write a paragraph without first downing two liters of Foster's. 

And, very few are able to write paragraphs as tight as yours, no matter how tight they might be.

Many myths are harmful if too many of us believe in these myths. For example, Santa Claus, Mao Zedong, Rudd, and Karl Marx. 

Also, when Maoist puppets like Rudd are left free to propigate delusional thinking, after being indoctrinated at the seat of CPC power, then such mythology becomes dangerous for everyone. 

Myth and historical mythology are two separate and distinct quantities. 

For example, it is a myth that women are the weaker sex. 

After all, is it a man or a woman who carries your bag on the course? 

And, does she hold your pin, too, as you sink it in the hole? 

Quite sure I am Australian, that's what my passport says.

I am a retired research scientist. Having to write reports in terms managers can understand is why I write tight paragraphs, as you put it. Discourses such as yours would be beyond their attention span.

Women carrying my bag here ( actually, they use trolleys and golf carts ) is about employment opportunity in Thailand. Look at any professional golf tournament on YouTube, the overwhelming majority of caddies are male.

I always have the pin out when I am putting, and frankly think the new-found practice of leaving the pin in because it is no longer a penalty is downright stupid.

My only stimulant prior to writing this post is a piece of Lindt 99% cocoa.

2 hours ago, allanos said:

The Scots are (in)famously parsimonious.

There is a somewhat apocryphal story of a Jewish shopkeeper

who was obliged to leave Aberdeen because he was unable to make

a living!

Perhaps you have heard how copper wire was invented. Two Scotsmen had a tug of war with a penny.

• Haha 2