Mystery leaks hit Russian undersea gas pipelines to Europe

Scott

12 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

I said 'was seen' [read more carefully, past tense] of course

it has left the Channel. Using same source as you.

The source has it in the Baltic for a week, so wheres the link to your information, you know where you said it scurried away to the English Channel after being 50 next to nordstream 

Edited by Bkk Brian

11 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

One good thing coming out of this terrorist act is that Russia is now forced to look to the east to sell their gas. Naturally, China will be their biggest customer and China will benefit from the cheap gas that Europe had been enjoying for decades. Australia will suffer (natural gas is a much cleaner fuel then coal). China will build pipelines as part of their BRI and supply gas to Central and SEA.

All this time, Europe will be forced to import much more expensive LNG from US and Qatar. This is the beginning of the end for Europe and when that happens, the US will diminish in power alongside Europe. 

The future belongs to the Global South and the East.

I've generally supported you till now, but the idea that China would rule Australasia is anathema to me. I hope it never ever happens.

If that means supporting the USA, I'm in boots and all.

23 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Always try to get your facts correct

There’s still some Russian gas flowing to Europe through a pipeline passing through Ukraine into Slovakia, and another crossing the Black Sea to Turkey and then to EU member Bulgaria. 

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/world/europe-is-facing-an-energy-crisis-as-russia-cuts-gas-heres-why

I posted this in a post before yours.

Europe is already not buying Russian gas (other than the piddly amount from the Ukraine pipeline).

Try to keep up (and not be so light on facts)

Edited by Gweiloman
  • Love It 1

7 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

I posted this in a post before yours.

Europe is already not buying Russian gas (other than the piddly amount from the Ukraine pipeline).

Try to keep up (and not be so light on facts)

You also said Russia is not selling any gas to Europe. Only Norway is.  Try to be consistent.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 300sd said:

Already did. Try not to be too blind. Bye,bye

Really? Here's the last comment before your latest.

1 hour ago, 300sd said:

Wrong but nice try. Perhaps next time I'll spell it out for you.

This raises the question of whether or not  you read what you write.

• Thumbs Up 1

An interesting view from someone very experienced with oil and gas pipe maintenance , indicating it could well have been accidents caused by typical Russian incompetence. The same way the Kursk sank, Chernobyl blew up, and MH17 was shot down. 
https://thelawdogfiles.com/2022/09/nordstream.html

Edited by Gulfsailor
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Gulfsailor said:

An interesting view from someone very experienced with oil and gas pipe maintenance , indicating it could well have been accidents caused by typical Russian incompetence. The same way the Kursk sank, Chernobyl blew up, and MH17 was shot down. 

Nord Stream leaks in Baltic Sea due to blasts equal to 'several hundred kilos' of TNT explosive: Danish-Swedish report to UN

Nord Stream 1, which opened in 2011, is co-owned by several European energy companies, but Russian gas giant Gazprom holds a 51% stake

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Nord Stream leaks in Baltic Sea due to blasts equal to 'several hundred kilos' of TNT explosive: Danish-Swedish report to UN

Nord Stream 1, which opened in 2011, is co-owned by several European energy companies, but Russian gas giant Gazprom holds a 51% stake

I think that there will be records of all the shipping in the Baltic on a daily basis logged somewhere in the records of Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Estonia, Latvia. Lithuania, Poland, Germany and probably all the NATO countries including the USA, the UK and Russia.

It is known where the breaks are so it should be possible to track any vessel, surface or submerged, in almost any time period, which was travelling very slowly or anchored near those points.

I have no idea how sensitive the sonar detectors are or if they would be able to pick up small underwater vehicles with a small crew and carrying  couple of hundred kg of TNT equivalent explosives and the triggering system which could e be set of from land, sea, air or even a satellite, and does not even need to be in the country of origin.

2 hours ago, Gulfsailor said:

I see some real suckers commenting on that blog post you linked to, taking in all the utter B.S from the author who has no clue what he’s talking about ????

Edited by coolcarer

15 hours ago, Gulfsailor said:

Maybe not so interesting

Hundreds of pounds of TNT were used to damage the Nord Stream pipelines, Sweden and Denmark tell the UN

Leaks that have badly damaged the Nord Stream natural gas pipelines were caused by hundreds of pounds of TNT, Denmark and Sweden said in a joint report to the United Nations.

The countries cited the latest development in a joint report to the UN Security Council on Friday, adding the explosions were a deliberate act, Denmark's TV2 first reported.

The pipelines that carry gas from Russia to Europe began leaking on Monday, with the Swedish coast guard saying there were two leaks in the Swedish economic zone, and another two in the Danish zone. 

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/world/hundreds-of-pounds-of-tnt-were-used-to-damage-the-nord-stream-pipelines-sweden-and-denmark-tell-the-un/ar-AA12t9D5

I am open to any explanation. So far I have seen claims of sabotage but have not heard of any proof of that nor are there obvious suspects.

I don't think we can discard other explanations like lack of maintenance just yet.

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

I am open to any explanation. So far I have seen claims of sabotage but have not heard of any proof of that nor are there obvious suspects.

I don't think we can discard other explanations like lack of maintenance just yet.

Really? Simultaneously in 2 different pipelines that differ a lot by age?

And the Scandinavians are saying there was an explosion. As Rabas pointed out, methane won't explode underwater because there's no oxygen. I think the case for sabotage is proven. Who is responsible is a different matter.

11 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Really? Simultaneously in 2 different pipelines that differ a lot by age?

And the Scandinavians are saying there was an explosion. As Rabas pointed out, methane won't explode underwater because there's no oxygen. I think the case for sabotage is proven. Who is responsible is a different matter.

Sorry, that is not proof. Indications, sure.

19 minutes ago, stevenl said:

4 different explosions? 

Hans Liwang, a researcher at the Swedish Defence University, told the local daily DN that traces of the explosive device can be found along the pipeline, but it is highly likely that the evidence will disappear when the gas moves up.

European security officials observed Russian navy support ships in the vicinity of the pipeline leaks on Monday and Tuesday

• Like 1

Different explosions can be when one incident sets of the next one 

Yes, there are indications of sabotage, but I'll wait with my judgement. From your second link 'suggesting sabotage' 'believed by explosives', so far from proved.

Edited by stevenl