Mystery leaks hit Russian undersea gas pipelines to Europe

Scott

image.png

European countries on Tuesday raced to investigate unexplained leaks in two Russian gas pipelines running under the Baltic Sea near Sweden and Denmark, infrastructure at the heart of an energy crisis since Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

Experts and also Russia, which built the network, said the possibility of sabotage could not be ruled out.

Sweden’s Maritime Authority issued a warning about two leaks in the Nord Stream 1 pipeline, shortly after a leak on the nearby Nord Stream 2 pipeline was discovered that prompted Denmark to restrict shipping in a five nautical mile radius.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/27/energy/nord-stream-pipeline-leaks/index.html

CNN-logo-July-4-2020-e1593906141959-300x

• Haha 2

Just now, WorriedNoodle said:

The Russians can say anything they like - no one will believe them anyway. Makes no sense to blow up something that can be turned off. There again the Russians make no sense anyway so perhaps its logical for them.

+1

And will they ever admit that they have done it? No.

Terror tactics IMHO

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

I'm asking a simple question, with all the special units and special operatives trained assassins and hitmen some big country have under their control, and even within Russia itself, how hard it is to get rid of this menace to humanity Putin guy?...

Here’s the simple answer: very hard. He mostly keeps himself locked away and when he does go out he is surrounded by his innermost circle, who he has enriched and are just as bent as he is. His government is under perpetual surveillance for insurrection; any hint and they are subsequently removed. Appearances are set up and attendees are closely vetted so the ‘right’ people are there.
Of course, his palace could be flattened but then you have WWIII.  

• Thumbs Up 2

Anyone who can't see this as an attack instigated by Russia has their heads buried in the sand, including Russia's favourite puppet Tucker Carlson who said it was the US.

This from the day before the sabotage on the Nord Stream pipelines:

Norway regulator warns on risk of 'deliberate attacks' after drones seen near oil and gas fields

https://www.spglobal.com/commodityinsights/en/market-insights/latest-news/oil/092622-norway-regulator-warns-on-risk-of-deliberate-attacks-after-drones-seen-near-oil-and-gas-fields

Baltic Pipe: Norway-Poland gas pipeline opens in key move to cut dependency on Russia

https://www.euronews.com/2022/09/27/baltic-pipe-norway-poland-gas-pipeline-opens-in-key-move-to-cut-dependency-on-russia

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, connda said:

Yet give it a couple of days.  The Western information war benefits by assigning blame to Russia just like they did when Ukraine was shelling the Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant.
Apply Occam's Razor.  Who benefits?

US and Qatari LNG suppliers.

Link to when Ukraine was shelling its own Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant?

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

I don’t think that Russia will be so stupid as to advertise a possible attack on the Baltic Pipeline. If they wanted to, they would have just gone ahead and sabotaged it.

The main beneficiary of this sabotage is the US. Many European leaders have come to realise that they have been duped by the US into fighting this proxy war but are impotent to do anything about it.

They didn't advertise this, just as they didn't advertise Bucha. The pipelines were not even in use so nobodies actually benefiting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

They didn't advertise this, just as they didn't advertise Bucha. The pipelines were not even in use so nobodies actually benefiting.

Nobody may be benefitting yet. Even Claude Blanchemaison, the former French Ambassador suggests that the beneficiaries are those that supply gas to Europe.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Nobody may be benefitting yet. Even Claude Blanchemaison, the former French Ambassador suggests that the beneficiaries are those that supply gas to Europe.

Really, well that would be Norway with the pipeline then.......................

31 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Really, well that would be Norway with the pipeline then.......................

Could be. But the implication was very strong that it was a ‘far away’ country or countries. At the moment, it could either be Qatar or the US, depending on who has the ability. 

Another revelation that came to light was that there was a possible deal for gas supply to resume in exchange for Ukraine giving up 20% of its territory. This would give Ukraine a motive as well.

No good theories as to why Russia would sabotage their own pipeline when all they had to do was just turn a tap.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Could be. But the implication was very strong that it was a ‘far away’ country or countries. At the moment, it could either be Qatar or the US, depending on who has the ability. 

Another revelation that came to light was that there was a possible deal for gas supply to resume in exchange for Ukraine giving up 20% of its territory. This would give Ukraine a motive as well.

No good theories as to why Russia would sabotage their own pipeline when all they had to do was just turn a tap.

I was joking.............I already said who I think it was and why. I'll let you speculate on your own theories. 

1 hour ago, Gweiloman said:

Actually, the last thing the US govt. would want is Europeans to lose access to another important source of gas like the Baltic pipeline.. That would raise the price of gas worldwide and be politically disastrous for the current administration in the U.S. And of course, be  big boost for Putin.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

What implication was there the a "far away" country was responsible? Can you share with us where that implication is located?mplications?

And please share with us the source of your claim that "there was a possible deal for gas supply to resume in exchange for Ukraine giving up 20% of its territory."

But if you can't, and I doubt strongly you can, then stop spreading falsehoods.

There used to be someone posting on this thread who repeatedly claimed that he "heard" various reports that somehow he could never link to. I think he has a successor.

• Like 2

the pipelines were blown up.

objectively, these pipelines weren't a problem for Russia, but had become embarrassing or a nuisance for lots of governments, among which, going from the most important to the least :

- Ukraine

- USA

- Norway

- Germany

Why ? because turning the gas back on could have been an item in ceasefire negotiations or a way for Russia to pay for war reparations.

Who could have done it ?

- USA

- Russia

- EU countries

- UK

You can make a Venn diagram.

So, who benefits by taking off Nordstream and Russian gas through the Baltic sea from the negotiation table ?

Blowing up Nordstream isolates Russia.

And there is another pipeline for Russian gas to go to the EU ... that pipeline is in Ukraine and could be repaired after the war.

So I'd say the main beneficiaries are Ukraine and the USA.

China is watching, wondering how to take advantage of this situation.

Who did it?

I'd bet the USA.

Poland's former defence minister is of the same opinion, but I bet he regrets having let that slip out.

The timing is interesting too... just as that fake voting takes place.

I support the move because working pipelines could have helped the Russians in negotiations.

It will be interesting to watch if any country undertakes an attempt to save the pipelines. They need to be sealed and the salt water pumped out, otherwise corrosion will set in and they will be completely destroyed.

one of Biden's promises is fulfilled:

Edited by tgw
  • Like 2