Is it okay to be shirtless ( barechested) for a man doing exercise in a park?

topswijaya

Maybe I'm not picturing these parks you mention correctly based on everyone elses opinion.  But pools, beaches and parks get a pass by me, especially exercising.

Around town no.

But, there are unwritten rules... everybody has an expiration date or have let themselves go too far.  Have mercy on us.

I also see the famous "make my shirt into a belly shirt/bra" by the Thai men.  Usually overweight.  I don't understand that fashion statement.

17 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I would prefer it if men didn't walk about with no shirt, not a good look, including exercise 

I agree with you scuba, but if a guy is exercising in a park not among a crowd and covering up when finished should be OK.

A guy exercising in a park is not likely to be overweight with a big belly and big titties, therefor not so unsightly. ????

31 minutes ago, moskito said:

btw, in Germany they are just having a discussion about allowing topless or nude girls into public pools in summertime. Thats not a joke btw.

and in our conservative Chanthaburi town - for the swimming pool complex within the fitness park area, no tshirt/shorts permitted for women swimmers - swimsuits and swimcaps provided for hire; and for men, no 'beach-baggy' shorts allowed either - cycle shorts style (never speedos). 

17 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

No

What foreigners should realize is that this is Thailand,. Shirtless or with shirt is nothing to do with attitudes in other countries.

Bottom line ;  Except for at the beach and at a swimming pool (in LOS) it's OK* but in other locations men/youths without a shirt is seen as low class behavior. nothing to do with anything else.

(* Even at the beach/at a swimming pool many Thai men would wear a T shirt,

rather then be fully topless.)

How often do you see men/young men on a building site shirtless? Close to never, because they know it's not appropriate and they know that they will be seen as low class and they don't want that. 

I'm aware of an incident where a young Thai man was working as a waiter in a hotel in Pattaya for several years, and had developed a friendship with several regular guests. The young man was going to get married in his hoe village 40Km from Roi Et city. He invited one farang families who were on their annual holiday to his wedding and found a 3 star hotel for them about 10 Km from his village.

Day before the wedding the farang family (father, mother, 2 adult sons and their farang wives, 1 adult daughter and her farang husband) turned up at the waiter's village. All the farang men were topless, 1 wife just a bikini top with shorts. Others with full shirts.

Young waiter quickly asked all of them to put on full shirts. Farang all said 'what for, it's hot'.

Young waiter tried to explain that in Thai villages this is seen as low class activity and he was concerned their shirtless action would reflect on the class level of his family and on his bride to be.

Farang group declined to put on shirts saying 'but it's OK in Australia and every country'.

Edited by scorecard
  • Haha 2

Only if they're weightlifting. There used to be (haven't seen him lately) a farang in Lumpini who always jogged with his shirt off. Bald head, bulging stomach, hairy body...Not the type of thing you should be subjecting other people to.

On another note, is it all right for a woman to display a cameltoe in public?

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, simon43 said:

I guess it depends on the culture that you raised up in.  For me, the only time that I would go shirtless in public (in any country) would be at the beach or at a swimming pool.  The same applies to wearing shorts. But that's just me ????

Same as regards shirtless but polo shirt, shorts, sandals are the usual “uniform of the day” for me. Hotel meeting, immigration then I wear long pants.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, simon43 said:

Actually, at the age of 63, jogging 4 km every morning and weighing 64 Kg, my body is in pretty good shape ????  No bulging muscles, but no man boobs and no beer gut either.  Regardless, I keep my shirt on (a collared shirt of course...)

I do cycling every day and am around 76 Ks. My wife weighs about the same as you, but she is 5ft 9ins tall with a figure to match. At 64 Kg you must be really small.

Why does your shirt have to be collared? I don't even own a shirt with collars.

1 hour ago, moskito said:

regarding the OP question:  Only if he is running around barechested with a full tatooed body. How else we should see his tatoos, at least he made them for us to look at him, not for hisself ????????????

A definite member of the "not right in the head" brigade.

• Like 1

I'm not one for going shirtless personally, due to sunburn and or insect bites etc. , but I  have no problems with anybody who wants to ! I am not a nudist but I don't see anything shameless or shameful about the human body.  For me it seems a bit strange that certain people. both Thai and foreigners equate this with a "lack of respect" or being "low class"  

You can dress scum in a suit, but they will  still  be scum, and just because they are  wearing a suit does not mean they respect anything or anybody,

True enough they do say "clothes maketh the man" but they also say "don't judge a book by the cover"  

1 hour ago, moskito said:

btw, in Germany they are just having a discussion about allowing topless or nude girls into public pools in summertime. Thats not a joke btw.

Who are "they"? Anyway, bring it on.

Edited by possum1931
  • Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, jaywalker2 said:

Only if they're weightlifting. There used to be (haven't seen him lately) a farang in Lumpini who always jogged with his shirt off. Bald head, bulging stomach, hairy body...Not the type of thing you should be subjecting other people to.

On another note, is it all right for a woman to display a cameltoe in public?

A guy with a bulging stomach who is always jogging???? Something not right about that.

• Like 1

In my rural area many Thai men have no issues walking around topless , or they wear their T shirt as a 'belly shower' - great look. I seldom wear a shirt at home, or on my farm - as I will be drenched in sweat within 5 minutes.  I always cover up if going to shops or into the city. In the tourist area of my town - it is only the farangs that you see topless - and while they are spending money - the locals tolerate them.  

Shirt off while jogging or exercising would be okay - but preferably cover up when you're done.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wwest5829 said:

Same as regards shirtless but polo shirt, shorts, sandals are the usual “uniform of the day” for me. Hotel meeting, immigration then I wear long pants.

Knee length socks to compliment your sandals,  proper attire for the man about town.

2 hours ago, moskito said:

When I was in Germany in early 90's, my then German gf would have her kit off within 5mins at the local lake, was quite acceptable. 

Edited by roo860