What’s the best way to pay for a new car at a dealership?

srowndedbyh2o

We ordered a new vehicle a while back and are waiting for delivery.

We will be buying this vehicle for “cash”. No payments. I’ve never purchased a car in Thailand before. When buying a new car for ‘cash’ at a dealership, do you need to actually pay physical cash, or can you transfer funds to the dealership? Can you go into your bank and have them do a transfer of funds to the dealership? Can the bank make out a check to the dealership? Or do you do a transfer using the banks app on your phone?

I’m not comfortable carrying around that much cash money. Even if it is only from the bank to the car dealer. Also not so comfortable transferring that much money with a phone app. One misplaced number and ‘Poof’! Your money is gone. ????

So what’s the best way to pay for a new car at a dealership?

I picked up a new car last week. Paid 50K deposit when I ordered it, paid the balance by bank transfer two days before I picked it up - when I inspected the vehicle prior to final pre purchase checks, window tints etc.  Very easy.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Never seen that....  But it sounds good for a Thai bash to accuse them of being shallow... 

Cashiers check is the way to to... metisdead has the answer you are looking for, Op. 

where is the bashing? just my experience, it's done for face. OP should ask his other half which she prefers.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

In some cases it can take longer and can involved a court case, Thai Banks are not allowed to simply reverse transfers that have been paid into someone else account. They are required to get permission from the incorrect bank holder to transfer the funds back

Or if they spend it

1 minute extra to make sure best

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I have also paid in ‘cash’ for a car. A Thai has also paid me in when buying my car. 

What I haven't seen is the ‘bundles of cash’ for the photos...  

Well thats what we did, lots of photos!

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

There's absolutely nothing stopping anyone who has personal experience of cocking up an app transfer from fronting up at the dealership with a bag of folding stuff. Nothing whatsoever.  This also applies to those who are just scaremongering with their anecdotal tales of digital banking woe.

Scaremongering you need to get out more you clearly don't know what your talking about

Here a lady that transferred 293,439 baht to a wrong account , The person that incorrectly received the money in error went on a spending spree paid off balance of car loan, purchased new motor cycle, purchased 1 baht of gold.

managed to recover and return 160,000 baht as for the outstanding amount of  133,439 the original owner of the money was advised " "It's all used up." The rest is not ready to go to jail instead"

https://www.sanook.com/news/8561578/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

There's absolutely nothing stopping anyone who has personal experience of cocking up an app transfer from fronting up at the dealership with a bag of folding stuff. Nothing whatsoever.  This also applies to those who are just scaremongering with their anecdotal tales of digital banking woe.

Gteat