What’s the best way to pay for a new car at a dealership?

srowndedbyh2o

The last vehicle I bought, about 1.8 million baht, I used the phone app to do it.  Within the phone app you can change the limit amount.  So I changed it first, made the transfer, then set it back down lower again.  When you do a transfer it shows the account name on the confirmation page before finalizing it.  Show that to them to make sure it is the correct account before finalizing it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, DFPhuket said:

The dealership had a QR code to scan so there were no concerns about mistyping the account number. When scanning, the app gave the name of the company. It was then simple to get a one time password (OTP), and finish the transfer. I don't recall if they took a picture of the confirmation or asked me to email it to them. The whole process took about 3 minutes.  

Likewise, did so recently, and with the name of the company showing in the App I had no concerns that the transfer was going to the correct account, well not too many.

Whilst I was in the dealership there was another couple with an enevlope stuffed with 1,000 Baht notes paying for their car, each to their own. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, rwill said:

The last vehicle I bought, about 1.8 million baht, I used the phone app to do it.  Within the phone app you can change the limit amount.  So I changed it first, made the transfer, then set it back down lower again.  When you do a transfer it shows the account name on the confirmation page before finalizing it.  Show that to them to make sure it is the correct account before finalizing it.

thanks for the tip, BBL app lets me go up to 2 mil. not enough to buy a Lambo but still very generous. 

all sorts of other settings too, dunno why I never bothered to look before now ????

• Like 1

3 vehicles 2 in the last 3 years,  I just go into bank show my passport get a cashiers check for whatever amount.  

Funny, picture with cash? 

When we pick up the vehicles they had a giant check made full amount for the vehicle took picture with it in front of vehicle of course I wasn't in it although I paid for it. ????

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

I only have experience with Bangkok Bank's Bualuang banking app. it shows the name of the recipient. 

11 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

...add the payee to your favourites so you don't have to redo the above process.

Thanks. I didn't realize there was a 'favorites' that you could save recipients to in the app.

11 hours ago, Cardano said:

If you are not confident inserting the correct amount in a banking app should you really be driving a car?

You have a point. When I went in to get my Thai drivers license I had to prove I could use the apps on my phone (while driving) before they would issue my drivers license. ????

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, srowndedbyh2o said:

Thanks. I didn't realize there was a 'favorites' that you could save recipients to in the app.

no worries. I find it most useful for paying my rent. so much easier than having to re-enter the re-verify the landlord's account details. 

dunno what I'd do without Google Lens either. the translation function is awesome and there's no chance of me ever learning to read Thai.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Really, my first truck 10 yrs ago we shoed up with 900K cash at dealership. Just business as usual. I like the way Thais look at using cash.

When offering to pay bail for someone's release until a court appearance, the court wants to see cash. (well that's what my friend said anyway)

When we bought our Pickup the dealership insisted to have the Sr. Accounting person to go with us to our bank when we withdrew the money. She signed a statement that she got the money for the car and we could pick up our car.

Their explanation was, too many fake bank notes around.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, vinny41 said:

And what if the dealership provide incorrect details missing out a digit or they type a zero instead of a nine

Once the money goes into someone else account its a complete nightmare to get the money returned.

you get a chance to confirm that the recipient is who they are supposed to be when the name in the system shows up before you hit send to transfer

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

When I bought a new car,  Toyota Phayao refused to accept any payment except for cash at their office.  Claimed that bankers cheque or transfer would cost them money in bank fees.  Thailand 4.0 ?  I did not try to argue, but got cash from my bank, who were not in the least surprised.  No wonder criminals like Thailand for money laundering.

Toyota cashiers dept full of note counters, so obviously the way they did things.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Robin said:

When I bought a new car,  Toyota Phayao refused to accept any payment except for cash at their office.  Claimed that bankers cheque or transfer would cost them money in bank fees.  Thailand 4.0 ?  I did not try to argue, but got cash from my bank, who were not in the least surprised.  No wonder criminals like Thailand for money laundering.

Toyota cashiers dept full of note counters, so obviously the way they did things.

This place is still back in the dark ages in so many ways , this is one of them. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

thanks for the tip, BBL app lets me go up to 2 mil. not enough to buy a Lambo but still very generous. 

all sorts of other settings too, dunno why I never bothered to look before now ????

You can make two payments? ????

4 hours ago, rwill said:

Interesting... I think my maximum limit is 500,000 baht when transferring to the same Bank and less when transferring to a different Bank (within Thailand). 

When we bought our last car, and when I bought my motorcycle I wanted to pay by Credit card which would have given lots of points  / air-miles... unfortunately they have it locked up with 3% charge which is quite disappointing !

Edited by richard_smith237

1 hour ago, Robin said:

Same at Toyota, Chiang Mai yesterday I paid cash, counting machine up and running!