What’s the best way to pay for a new car at a dealership?

srowndedbyh2o

2 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

I have a special banking app. After I input the account number and amount, on the next screen I see the beneficiary's name so I can make sure I'm transferring to the correct account. 

Hopefully it works in a similar manner to the confirmation of payee process where the banks check the acoount name, account number and sort code match

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-8465903/Paying-online-youll-tap-names-EXACTLY-right.html

For years in the Uk if you did bank transfers online or in branch and even if you put the name of the account of the recipient bank's didn't check name they just checked that account number and sort code was correct

For the cash is king brigade sugggest you check your existing car insurance and invested in a fire proof case of you might end up like this unfortunate guy from pattaya

Sad instead. The young man carried 1 million to the bank. The car caught fire, both the car and the money.

https://www.sanook.com/news/8376010/

15 hours ago, Cardano said:

If you are not confident inserting the correct amount in a banking app should you really be driving a car?

stupid comment this guy is just making sure he do the good thing from people in this forum that have experiance why bother being in this forum if you are not helpfull and only write <deleted>

16 hours ago, proton said:

Thais like to turn up with bundles of cash for the photos, looks better than a cheque on fb and line. If a woman is involved it might be a consideration

" Thai's". No the Thai's you know or associate with.  I have never heard of this or seen it done. As has been stated do a bank transfer. I would not use a phone banking app as I have the same fear as you. 

15 hours ago, vinny41 said:

And what if the dealership provide incorrect details missing out a digit or they type a zero instead of a nine

Why would they if it's their usual way of customers paying for the cars that they sell?   When you type in the account number, before the transfer is completed, the receiving account name comes up, wouldn't anyone query a name that wasn't the name the dealer provided?

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why would they if it's their usual way of customers paying for the cars that they sell?   When you type in the account number, before the transfer is completed, the receiving account name comes up, wouldn't anyone query a name that wasn't the name the dealer provided?

Many Dealers operate under a parent holding company and yes sometimes the dealer name and the holding parent company have different names

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, marin said:

" Thai's". No the Thai's you know or associate with.  I have never heard of this or seen it done. As has been stated do a bank transfer. I would not use a phone banking app as I have the same fear as you. 

If you had lived here longer you might have, and also know it's Thais, not Thai's.

• Thumbs Up 1

We recently purchased a new car for cash. As part of the transaction we also asked what discount we could get for a cash payment. Ended up with 85k off the price, and that was after our trade-in. We were able to transfer funds directly into the dealership's bank account as payment.

14 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Scaremongering you need to get out more you clearly don't know what your talking about

Here a lady that transferred 293,439 baht to a wrong account , The person that incorrectly received the money in error went on a spending spree paid off balance of car loan, purchased new motor cycle, purchased 1 baht of gold.

managed to recover and return 160,000 baht as for the outstanding amount of  133,439 the original owner of the money was advised " "It's all used up." The rest is not ready to go to jail instead"

https://www.sanook.com/news/8561578/

As I said, this also applies to those who are just scaremongering with their anecdotal tales of digital banking woe.

Repeatedly.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Most reputable company would insist on cashier's cheques or transfer, 

I'd prefer the cashier's cheque to transfer as I could take it back if something's wrong with the vehicle.

I'd be more concerned with the deposit, often the salesperson would take the deposit and all you ever got was a piece of paper written not on the dealership's letterhead with what freebies are include in the deal.

There are many tales of sales asking for deposit directly transferred into their account and absconding with your money, if they timed it right they could rip off many customers and disappear in a month 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, vinny41 said:

The op is correct there have been many cases where either the sender has make a mistake or the receiver when providing the bank details has incorrectly sent the wrong details 

Measure twice, cut once. This is a car dealership the op is talking about not some online Facebook hiso wannabee, The dealership will provide correct bank details and amount to transfer which you then check as correct in the app and with the dealership before you hit confirm, if the op can't use a bit of due diligence and common sense then like I said should he really be driving a car.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Foolish. 1 typo you lost 20 grand. Take 3 weeks to get back.

Send $1 to test. 

1.  If you're that stupid as to not double check that everything is correct then your problem.
2. Explain how you lose 20 grand if you get it back in 3 weeks, although don't know where you get 3 weeks from or the amount of 20 grand, maybe you're speaking from experience, if so see point 1.
3. Why send $1 to test? if you make a typo you've lost $1 for 3 weeks, or god forbid the $1 test works perfectly then you make a typo sending the other $19,999.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, proton said:

If you had lived here longer you might have, and also know it's Thais, not Thai's.

Well you ain't gonna win being the spelling nazi. Been here 34 years. Oh and you are still wrong. But thank you, noted. 

4 hours ago, mikecha said:

stupid comment this guy is just making sure he do the good thing from people in this forum that have experiance why bother being in this forum if you are not helpfull and only write <deleted>

I am being helpful, I'm trying to convince the op that he shouldn't be driving a car if he doesn't have the nounce or confidence to use a banking app.

6 minutes ago, Cardano said:

1.  If you're that stupid as to not double check that everything is correct then your problem.
2. Explain how you lose 20 grand if you get it back in 3 weeks, although don't know where you get 3 weeks from or the amount of 20 grand, maybe you're speaking from experience, if so see point 1.
3. Why send $1 to test? if you make a typo you've lost $1 for 3 weeks, or god forbid the $1 test works perfectly then you make a typo sending the other $19,999.

Stupid? No buddy it can be their mistake. You obviously dont know much about transfers. Mistakes happen.

I never made a mistake. Others have. Yes 3 to 6 weeks depending upon bank and country. Banks told me that.

Smart people know mistakes happen. Only the stupid think they dont.

A new car costs $15,000 plus.

Lose $1 who cares.

Only the foolish would move $50,000 without testing.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Cardano said:

I am being helpful, I'm trying to convince the op that he shouldn't be driving a car if he doesn't have the nounce or confidence to use a banking app.

Stupid comment. Mistakes happen. I can drive better than 99% of people. I do $1 tests. Only a fool would move $50,000 without a test.

Common sense.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Many Dealers operate under a parent holding company and yes sometimes the dealer name and the holding parent company have different names

But the dealer has told the customer the name of the account it is going to, obviously, it doesn't matter what the name is as long as the dealer provided details are correct.  And there's no rational reason for those details to be wrong.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Stupid? No buddy it can be their mistake. You obviously dont know much about transfers. Mistakes happen.

I never made a mistake. Others have. Yes 3 to 6 weeks depending upon bank and country. Banks told me that.

Smart people know mistakes happen. Only the stupid think they dont.

A new car costs $15,000 plus.

Lose $1 who cares.

Only the foolish would move $50,000 without testing.

Smart people use due diligence to limit risk, stupid people don't.

Just now, Liverpool Lou said:

But the dealer has told the customer the name of the account it is going to, obviously, it doesn't matter what the name is as long as the dealer provided details are correct.  And there's no rational reason for those details to be wrong.

Business name change

Bank ac changes

Banks get takeover

It happened to me. Bank changed number. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Stupid comment. Mistakes happen. I can drive better than 99% of people. I do $1 tests. Only a fool would move $50,000 without a test.

Common sense.

Your quote just shows who is the stupid one, "I can drive better than 99% of people".

• Like 1