Personal Accident Insurance

Has anyone had any success obtaining this in Thailand? I have a policy with Allianz but it only goes to 500k coverage. I'm really interested in covering an accident like slipping over in the bathroom and breaking a hip. The Allianz policy does go some ways to covering this, but seems to limit the cover to 60% of the maximum. TIA.

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

How much is that policy? how much medical cover per accident?

I have Axa, 250k per accident and 6,900 baht per year, there was a 500k policy for 15k a year

It was 6700, but now they're quoting 9100.

Like all pai I've seen here, it's linked to life insurance, and rather grisly physical damage - dismemberment and the like. But it does over motorbike accidents as both rider and pillion upto 250k I think.

The maximum cover is 500k pa but then there's a sliding scale of percentages per particular accident. There's a section for broken bone cover, where they give an example of broken hip only attracting 60% of the 500k, all the way down to 10 or 15% for various other breakages. I'm chasing the broker for clarifications and an English version (I have an old one) of their Ts & Cs.

I use AXA for house insurance. I don't think they go above 70 for pai.

I contacted Wrlife. Remember them? - as I have med insurance with them and they have an option they say is for pai, but it turns out it's just life. It was suggested I buy outpatient cover instead!

58 minutes ago, bradiston said:

It was 6700, but now they're quoting 9100.

Like all pai I've seen here, it's linked to life insurance, and rather grisly physical damage - dismemberment and the like. But it does over motorbike accidents as both rider and pillion upto 250k I think.

The maximum cover is 500k pa but then there's a sliding scale of percentages per particular accident. There's a section for broken bone cover, where they give an example of broken hip only attracting 60% of the 500k, all the way down to 10 or 15% for various other breakages. I'm chasing the broker for clarifications and an English version (I have an old one) of their Ts & Cs.

I use AXA for house insurance. I don't think they go above 70 for pai.

I contacted Wrlife. Remember them? - as I have med insurance with them and they have an option they say is for pai, but it turns out it's just life. It was suggested I buy outpatient cover instead!

i doubt it's 500k medical per accident at that price. The policies are quite ambiguous 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

i doubt it's 500k medical per accident at that price. The policies are quite ambiguous 

Agreed. Trying to get clarification is extremely difficult. I think it's 500k in any year maximum cover across all claims. So not 500k per claim.

1 hour ago, bradiston said:

Agreed. Trying to get clarification is extremely difficult. I think it's 500k in any year maximum cover across all claims. So not 500k per claim.

my guess is 500k includes other compensation, my other compensation is 1m+ but it's not important, what's important is the medical expenses per accident, in my case 250k

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

my guess is 500k includes other compensation, my other compensation is 1m+ but it's not important, what's important is the medical expenses per accident, in my case 250k

Medical expenses 100k per accident

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Richard 2020 said:

I am insured here!

https://www.bangkokinsurance.com/en/product/accident/happy45plus

They offer 5 plans.

Insurable until age 75, then renewal until 100 years old!

Correct me if I'm wrong but is this not life insurance? It makes no mention of broken bones, fractured skull, dislocations etc etc. This is very typical of Thai PAI. What happens if you slip over in the bathroom and break your hip?

a lot of credit cards like chase sapphire offer you free travel accident insurance for the first 60 days of a trip....maybe worth checking out if you are a tourist more than resident..you have to pay but get reimbursed with receipts

3 minutes ago, pomchop said:

a lot of credit cards like chase sapphire offer you free travel accident insurance for the first 60 days of a trip....maybe worth checking out if you are a tourist more than resident..you have to pay but get reimbursed with receipts

this is part of it but u have to read all fine print of course for full details

20. Medical emergencies during travel

If you or an immediate family member get sick or injured while traveling and need an emergency evacuation, you can be covered for up to $100,000 for medical services and transportation.

7 hours ago, bradiston said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but is this not life insurance? It makes no mention of broken bones, fractured skull, dislocations etc etc. This is very typical of Thai PAI. What happens if you slip over in the bathroom and break your hip?

The insurance is called:

Accident insurance PA HAPPY 45 PLUS

It also pays a sum to the relatives in case of death.

Like everywhere in the world!

Also, I do not know any accident insurance in the whole world, which breaks down all possible accidents!

That would probably be several hundred ????

For example:
In case of loss of organs, eyesight or permanent disability as a result of an accident there is up to 2.4000.000.-THB

Just read through properly!

6 hours ago, Richard 2020 said:

The insurance is called:

Accident insurance PA HAPPY 45 PLUS

It also pays a sum to the relatives in case of death.

Like everywhere in the world!

Also, I do not know any accident insurance in the whole world, which breaks down all possible accidents!

That would probably be several hundred ????

For example:
In case of loss of organs, eyesight or permanent disability as a result of an accident there is up to 2.4000.000.-THB

Just read through properly!

Broken bone coverage? And what is 2.4000.000.- THB? And does the 45 in Happy 45 have age connotations?

The three important headings for me in The Bangkok Insurance policy are:

Medical expenses in case of an accident for an IPD patient  
- Maximum coverage per year according to the insurance policy  
- Maximum coverage per accident

Maximum coverage per accident is 50,000 or 100,000, which is not very much at all.

Thanks for all the helpful responses. I've decided to stay with my current insurer, Allianz Ayudhaya. It seems as good as it gets for my age group, 70+, (for whom there isn't much choice), covers my biggest fear, which is broken bones from, for instance, slipping over on wet tiles wherever they are, and let's face it, they're everywhere, and has medical expenses up to 100k. Not as good as AXA, but AXA won't insure above 70. Plus, the broker I use (I don't think Allianz will deal direct) is quite responsive and does answer my questions as best she can in decent English, which is asking, and getting, a lot.

Some policies I've seen are just scandalous. 50k for loss of sight? Murdered? No problem. The beneficiary gets 20k! They're having a laugh aren't they? It just beggars belief!

Edited by bradiston

8 hours ago, bradiston said:

Broken bone coverage? And what is 2.4000.000.- THB? And does the 45 in Happy 45 have age connotations?

I recommend to read the insurance conditions and their achievements, nevertheless, simply once slowly and exactly through!

Then multiple inquiries would simply settle!

Otherwise ask someone who can read!

Or should the insurance for each individual possibly occurring bone fracture create a table of benefits?

So in approximately such a way:

Little finger broken, 1 limb, 2 limbs,3 limbs...Then 2 fingers broken and a toe.??? Leg fracture, lower leg, thigh , with foot
without foot also toes, if so how many...??

Just stay objective !!!

2 hours ago, Richard 2020 said:

I recommend to read the insurance conditions and their achievements, nevertheless, simply once slowly and exactly through!

Then multiple inquiries would simply settle!

Otherwise ask someone who can read!

Or should the insurance for each individual possibly occurring bone fracture create a table of benefits?

So in approximately such a way:

Little finger broken, 1 limb, 2 limbs,3 limbs...Then 2 fingers broken and a toe.??? Leg fracture, lower leg, thigh , with foot
without foot also toes, if so how many...??

Just stay objective !!!

I didn't see anywhere a reference to broken bone cover. Is it included in tour policy? Or just loss of sight, two feet, head, foot etc? Murder? Fine, but I'm interested in fixing a broken hip.

On 9/30/2022 at 4:19 PM, bradiston said:

I'm really interested in covering an accident like slipping over in the bathroom and breaking a hip.

Understand absolutely. However, knowing that insurance companies have a checklist of questions they go through before entertaining any claim, could you reasonably expect to be paid out? They would look at such things as was the bathroom already wet prior to your use? Have suitable tiles been used? I know mine definitely aren't! Was rubber matting insitu and securely fitted to reduce slip risk? Are your bones unduly fragile indicating some medical condition which you may or may not have originally disclosed or subsequently failed to update them about? I knew someone who was literally so clumsy that she repeatedly fell over her own feet. You can't expect an insurance company to pay out in such cases.   

22 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Understand absolutely. However, knowing that insurance companies have a checklist of questions they go through before entertaining any claim, could you reasonably expect to be paid out? They would look at such things as was the bathroom already wet prior to your use? Have suitable tiles been used? I know mine definitely aren't! Was rubber matting insitu and securely fitted to reduce slip risk? Are your bones unduly fragile indicating some medical condition which you may or may not have originally disclosed or subsequently failed to update them about? I knew someone who was literally so clumsy that she repeatedly fell over her own feet. You can't expect an insurance company to pay out in such cases.   

It seems PAI is a complete waste of money if you're thinking of insuring yourself against what I had in mind, which was hip replacement in the event of slipping over and breaking same. Prices in Thailand start at $7500 and go all the way up to $30,000, and beyond. The typical coverage for PAI medical expenses is 100,000 THB, maybe 200,000 and somebody here quoted 250,000, but it's based on age. 100,000 is a complete joke. 300,000 THB, $7,500, at the very minimum. I see $4500 as being a typical price in Türkiye. So much for medical hubs. I'm going to start over on this. Seems I've been deluded.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, bradiston said:

It seems PAI is a complete waste of money if you're thinking of insuring yourself against what I had in mind, which was hip replacement in the event of slipping over and breaking same. Prices in Thailand start at $7500 and go all the way up to $30,000, and beyond. The typical coverage for PAI medical expenses is 100,000 THB, maybe 200,000 and somebody here quoted 250,000, but it's based on age. 100,000 is a complete joke. 300,000 THB, $7,500, at the very minimum. I see $4500 as being a typical price in Türkiye. So much for medical hubs. I'm going to start over on this. Seems I've been deluded.

PAI is just to get emergency treatment until the money runs out, so Axa had a 500k policy for 15k under 65, so you clearly need to self insure to cover the shortfall

• Thanks 1

On 9/30/2022 at 8:45 PM, bradiston said:

snip

if you have health policy, it also does cover accident, to the limit of your policy. 

that's explanation from Kay from misterprakan.com , which I got the last year:

"You will be covered the maximum amount of the insurance per accident as long as you are not doing anything illegal (driving drunk, racing, driving without a license). 

The coverage for accidents is the same as the coverage for any illness and covid. They will just follow your coverage for premier plus. So maximum coverage is 3 million per year following the terms of your plan."

I have pacific cross. In their health plans accident is included and covers 100-400k per year (depending on which policy you have). That covers disability, loss, but also smallish outpatient accident - will include broken bones. 

Your hypothetical hip replacement after accident will be covered by your health policy. For any treatment which includes general anasthesia you will have to be admitted to hospital and health policy is paying.

With pacific cross you can upgrade accident to 1mln (possibly much more, some 5mln, when taking their top end policies) for 150b for each additional 100k.

If you decide to take only PA, bear in mind:

"Medical Expenses Benefit

Medical expenses benefit is usually 10% of the insured amount, although some insurance companies have made their own policies that cover more for medical expenses. This coverage will benefit the insured person should an accident result to an injury that requires hospitalization."

"https://misterprakan.com/en/accident/personal-accident-insurance

I would rather upgrade health policy, than get separate PA. Unless you have large deductible. Or don't want to lose no claim discount (and also risk premium hike for the next 2 years) - as is the case with pacific cross

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, internationalism said:

if you have health policy, it also does cover accident, to the limit of your policy. 

that's explanation from Kay from misterprakan.com , which I got the last year:

"You will be covered the maximum amount of the insurance per accident as long as you are not doing anything illegal (driving drunk, racing, driving without a license). 

The coverage for accidents is the same as the coverage for any illness and covid. They will just follow your coverage for premier plus. So maximum coverage is 3 million per year following the terms of your plan."

I have pacific cross. In their health plans accident is included and covers 100-400k per year (depending on which policy you have). That covers disability, loss, but also smallish outpatient accident - will include broken bones. 

Your hypothetical hip replacement after accident will be covered by your health policy. For any treatment which includes general anasthesia you will have to be admitted to hospital and health policy is paying.

With pacific cross you can upgrade accident to 1mln (possibly much more, some 5mln, when taking their top end policies) for 150b for each additional 100k.

If you decide to take only PA, bear in mind:

"Medical Expenses Benefit

Medical expenses benefit is usually 10% of the insured amount, although some insurance companies have made their own policies that cover more for medical expenses. This coverage will benefit the insured person should an accident result to an injury that requires hospitalization."

"https://misterprakan.com/en/accident/personal-accident-insurance

I would rather upgrade health policy, than get separate PA. Unless you have large deductible. Or don't want to lose no claim discount (and also risk premium hike for the next 2 years) - as is the case with pacific cross

Yes, you're right, so I'm chasing up my medical insurers to find out if they cover any accident related hospital admissions.

On 10/4/2022 at 12:01 PM, bradiston said:

Yes, you're right, so I'm chasing up my medical insurers to find out if they cover any accident related hospital admissions.

Hi Bradiston,

Can I ask what the name of your Allianz policy is?

I am looking at their My Health policy and it covers 8 million including illness or accident (I think).

Trying to get clarity on this as it seems like your cover with them is limited on the accident side of things.

The policy I am looking at is 58k though which is obviously quite expensive.

Cheers.

2 hours ago, tomster said:

Hi Bradiston,

Can I ask what the name of your Allianz policy is?

I am looking at their My Health policy and it covers 8 million including illness or accident (I think).

Trying to get clarity on this as it seems like your cover with them is limited on the accident side of things.

The policy I am looking at is 58k though which is obviously quite expensive.

Cheers.

You're looking at health insurance. I was looking for Personal Accident Insurance. It may be the health insurance will cover hospitalisation after a serious accident. My insurers have confirmed this, but they'll probably tell me exactly what I want to hear. It's a minefield.