JOHN’s PLACE

jonwilly

8 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Do stop over reacting . 

I misunderstood a post on ASEANNOW , that hardly requires seeking outside help .

Like going to see a doctor or a psychiatrist and explaining "Help, I was reading a post on ASEAENNOW and I misunderstood the context because the year wasn't written after the month of August was written and I assumed they meant the previous month of August  , can you cure me "

????????

Show doctor the comments

8 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Do stop over reacting . 

I misunderstood a post on ASEANNOW , that hardly requires seeking outside help .

Like going to see a doctor or a psychiatrist and explaining "Help, I was reading a post on ASEAENNOW and I misunderstood the context because the year wasn't written after the month of August was written and I assumed they meant the previous month of August  , can you cure me "

????????

Crackdown in August implies this year you are correct.

I was in CM in August implies this year not 2001.

Crackdown in late 2001 would be the way to say it.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jonwilly said:

Looks like I have confused matters.

I was writing about when I came to CM back in April 2001.

Your posts have been clear giving reference to the time you were writing about.  It is the others trying to nit pick some language issues who are confused by themselves, they needed no help from you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/4/2022 at 12:19 AM, Bill97 said:

Or CM Orchid?

Pretty sure the Royal Grand Suite at what was the "Imperial Mae Ping" (now InterContinental Chiang Mai Mae Ping) was the favored pied-à-terre.

Have been wrong before though. 

• Like 1

On 10/2/2022 at 12:27 PM, roo860 said:

There was a Thai style agogo that John owned just across from his place on the small soi, they had a couple of sofas and arm chairs, couple of girls wearing shorts and t shirts on the poles. That was approximately 1997.

They used to wear a lot less than shorts & t shirts during the soapy show

My mate who had met John at JP went into a Patong Go Go a few days later and was baffled as to why he was there .. "I'm his twin brother" uh ok ..

I was told at the time the 'Hi Hi So' who was upset with the Loh Kroh scene was a 'Male' and wanted it all shut down

So it's time to remove the John Place 20% discount card from my wallet then

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

one wonders at the persistence of memories of an obscure dive, and why they are even of the slightest passing interest.

compared to the much more infamous venues from Chiang Mai of yore, like "Grandad's Last Boner," that had an on-premise defibrillator (accepted only 500 baht notes), and "Whale Belly's Last Stand" that had body-body bungee-jumping with oil au naturel ...

imho, John's Place was a ... nothing.

~o:37;

1 hour ago, orang37 said:

one wonders at the persistence of memories of an obscure dive, and why they are even of the slightest passing interest.

compared to the much more infamous venues from Chiang Mai of yore, like "Grandad's Last Boner," that had an on-premise defibrillator (accepted only 500 baht notes), and "Whale Belly's Last Stand" that had body-body bungee-jumping with oil au naturel ...

Not to forget "star six" with the artistic late night shows. 

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, orang37 said:

Johns place was a good place to go and watch football and to have a cheap feed , hamburger and fries for 79 Baht and a Gordon Blue for 89 Bhat

• 2 weeks later...

I believe John's Place was used as a location for Denzil Washington's  movie

American Gangster in 2008/9

Looked weird with all the early 70's cars and tuk tuks whizzing by outside in the film, not to mention the strangely dressed people