Cat bite - Doxycycline

digital

2 hours ago, digital said:

I wasn't sure what this 'serum' was, my wife was checking around and they kept saying you might need 'serum', I thought they meant an antibiotic but its just for rabies. Dr didn't mention it but my wife was asking him about it and he said didn't need it, don't know why maybe because of low risk.

"Rabies serum" would have likely been rabies immunoglobin (Human-HRIG or Equine-ERIG).

It is usually administered for what your bite was, a class 3 rabies exposure, in junction with the first rabies vaccine shot, unless you have had a previous course of rabies vaccine.

The RIG provides some immediate immunity and protection while the rabies vaccine takes at least 7 days to develop an immune response.

Possibly, the doctor said you didn't need it because it was not available. which I have found to sometimes be the case.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LosLobo said:

"Rabies serum" would have likely been rabies immunoglobin (Human-HRIG or Equine-ERIG).

It is usually administered for what your bite was, a class 3 rabies exposure, in junction with the first rabies vaccine shot, unless you have had a previous course of rabies vaccine.

The RIG provides some immediate immunity and protection while the rabies vaccine takes at least 7 days to develop an immune response.

Possibly, the doctor said you didn't need it because it was not available. which I have found to sometimes be the case.

It was a smaller hospital I went to that I haven't used before, I went early am to a clinic where I know the Dr but he doesn't have it so suggested I go there. Had the rabies vaccination at a bit under 24 hours.

I think the rabies risk is tiny for an indoor cat that never goes out, same as our other cats. She has had rabies vaccines before, but I've just checked and its just over 3 years since the last (I thought it was about 2), I read she probably will still have some protection even after this time. But as she's not been out shouldn't have been exposed.

I don't think the Dr thought there was much of a risk, he recommended to have the vaccines as we have cats. He didn't mention the 'serum' until my wife asked, maybe because low risk? it was a gov't hospital so would have expected them to stock it but who knows? 

Edited by digital
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Lorry said:

Probably no stock. (It costs like 1000 US)

But not really necessary either. 

Based on Thailand prices in 2013, I would suggest that costs now would be approximately 20,000 baht for HRIG and 5,000 baht for ERIG,

10-MS-14-201427.pdf (mahidol.ac.th)

"Rabies immunoglobin always should be used in conjunction with rabies vaccine in previously unvaccinated persons"

Rabies Immunoglobulin - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics

5 hours ago, crouchpeter said:

What! Remove his brain?

Exactly.

Test for rabies of the animal can only be done after it died. It involves slicing up the brain. Expensive, too.

You don't want to wait that long with the vaccination (I know of one guy who didn't get vaccinated but then the dog died. He really had its brain examined.  No rabies. The guy didn't sleep very well until he got this result)