Cat bite - Doxycycline

digital

Bitten by our indoor cat breaking up a fight, its not that deep but it bled, puncture wounds. She has been vaccinated but not for maybe a couple of years. More concerned about infection than rabies. Cleaned with soap and water, then alcohol, then betadine.

I am taking Doxycyline 100mg x 2 for last 20 days for something else, will this help for the cat bite, I read it can be taken with metronizadole for this purpose. Or should I take co-amoxiclav which seems to be most recommended. If so can I still take the Doxy? Thanks

image.png.cab062fa4f38966ad4f8820525dcee1a.png

image.png.524419758224ce04305647d2876baf89.pngsorry not a great picture, but thats the worst of it, the rest are scratches rather that bites

Edited by digital
added more info

19 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

Wouldn't it be safer to go to your local hospital and get rabies and tetanus jabs?

Thanks, I can't until tomorrow. Don't really think I need to as the cat is known to us doesn't have rabies and stays indoors. But probably should take antibiotics, would have taken coamoxiclav for 3 days, but as I'm already taking Doxycycline not sure what to do.

I would probably go get a rabies shot just to be safe as cats carry alot of dangerous bacteria inside their mouths.   

Amoxicillin with clavulanate is the current recommendation for antibiotic treatment for cat bites.

People tend to be more dismissive of cat bites than dog bites, in part because cat bites often look like a pinprick, and dog bites look much worse, Dr. Carlsen says.

That’s a mistake, he says: “Cat bites look very benign, but as we know and as the study shows, they are not. They can be very serious.”

[2]. Cat bites are easily underestimated because of the minimal appearance of tissue injury [3]. Nevertheless, cats have sharp, slender teeth that penetrate deep tissues, bones, and joints and produce deep puncture wounds, inoculated with saliva and microbes, which leave a potential dead space resulting in deep infections [4]. Clinical infection after a cat bite is mostly characterized by acute onset of erythema, swelling and intense pain within 24 hours of initial injury in 70% of patients and by 48 hours in almost 90% of cases [5]. The risk factors for severe infection after a cat bite include diabetes mellitus, immunocompromised state, older age, late presentation, or suboptimal preceding treatment [6]. Sepsis, multi-organ failure and fatal outcome may ensue, if the progression of infection is not controlled [3]. In severely infected cat bites with septic shock and multi-organ failure, mortality has been reported in 25% to 60% of cases [6]

source: https://www.cureus.com/articles/29315-rapidly-progressive-infection-of-hand-after-a-cat-bite

Cats, like many other mammals, can carry rabies. This virus is almost always fatal when untreated, but it’s extremely rare.

Most domestic cats are already vaccinated against rabies. If you know the cat that’s bitten you has a rabies vaccine, it’s unlikely that you’ll contract rabies.

But if an unvaccinated cat has bitten you, you must take the bite seriously. Once symptoms are present, rabies is typically fatal.

source: https://www.healthline.com/health/cat-bite#diseases

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Most domestic cats are already vaccinated against rabies. If you know the cat that’s bitten you has a rabies vaccine, it’s unlikely that you’ll contract rabies.

But if an unvaccinated cat has bitten you, you must take the bite seriously. Once symptoms are present, rabies is typically fatal.

source: https://www.healthline.com/health/cat-bite#diseases

Thanks Co-Amoxiclav is the same as Amoxicillin with clavulanate, seems to be the main one to use just not sure I can take with my current Doxycycline.  

Yes cats have a lot of bacteria in the mouth, less concerned for rabies (known indoor cat, previously vaccinated but a while ago) but should take some antibiotics for anything else she could have. I wanted to confirm and start asap even if decide to get the rabies shots tomorrow .

Edited by digital
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Infection is commonwith cat bite and no, doxycycline will not help.

First line tx is augmenting (among + clav)

Thanks Sheryl,

Can I take it alongside the Doxycycline?

I thought I maybe could use Doxy + Metronidazole as an alternative if can't take Doxy + Augmentin? As the table below from nice (Uk National institute for Health)image.png.cab062fa4f38966ad4f8820525dcee1a.png

18 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

With multiple bites like that I'd personally go with 5 days.

But then I've had some massively infected cat bites in my time. 

Thankyou, will follow your advice. If anything happens in next day or 2 will go to the Dr. but will start the augmentin asap.  250/125mg 3 times daily?Any particular Thai brand?

Think I'm ok as far as Rabies in concerned, this cat is indoors, shes had a few rabies vaccinesbefore its maybe been a couple of years since the last.

Edited by digital

Last year I was bitten badly by or cat, so had to go to local hosp. for treatment.  wound was cleaned and i was given 1 shot of antibiotic. and I anti-rabis shot. Ct was 2 weeks late with regular rabies shot.

Dr. said watch your cat and if it gets sick and dies, take body to vet. for Rabies test and then come to hospital for treatment.  What he did not say was " if your cat dies, you will probably die also, since Rabies is 100% fatal.  Note that anti-rabies shots given to humans do not give complete protection, only some more time to get to hospital and start s real anti rabies course, which, I am told is very unpleasant, painful, and expensive.

Moral is; make sure all your animals have their regular anti-rabies vaccine, it si cheap and every vet can do it.

In out village, a local vet comes 1 or 2 times a year and will vacc. any animal that is taken to him.  Announced by Phu Yai Ban speaker system.

If you are going to keep cats as pets, you should be giving them regular vacc. for Distemper as well, so vet. will usually give all the injections at one time, once  a year.

48 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

With multiple bites like that I'd personally go with 5 days.

But then I've had some massively infected cat bites in my time. 

Do I need a dose of antibiotic as a vaccine or is the oral enough? 

1 hour ago, digital said:

Thankyou, will follow your advice. If anything happens in next day or 2 will go to the Dr. but will start the augmentin asap.  250/125mg 3 times daily?Any particular Thai brand?

Think I'm ok as far as Rabies in concerned, this cat is indoors, shes had a few rabies vaccinesbefore its maybe been a couple of years since the last.

875/125 and twice a day.

I've had no problem with any of the local brands

• Thanks 1

Just now, Sheryl said:

875/125 and twice a day.

I've had no problem with any of the lical brands

Thanks, I've just come back from the pharmacy I asked for 250/125 but they only had 625mg (500amox/125clav) so thats what I bought.

4 hours ago, digital said:

Thanks, I've just come back from the pharmacy I asked for 250/125 but they only had 625mg (500amox/125clav) so thats what I bought.

That one, you take it 3 times a day.

Or just buy amoxicillin 500mg, available everywhere (not only in pharmacies), and add one of those to the tablets you bought.

Then you get 1000 amox + 125 clav, and  you take this twice a day.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Sheryl said:

875/125 and twice a day.

I've had no problem with any of the local brands

16 hours ago, Lorry said:

That one, you take it 3 times a day.

Or just buy amoxicillin 500mg, available everywhere (not only in pharmacies), and add one of those to the tablets you bought.

Then you get 1000 amox + 125 clav, and  you take this twice a day.

Thanks, Changed to add in 500mg amoxy (to take with the 500/125 twice a day) when run out continue with the 1000/125, Dr recommended total 7 days.

Sent the Dr this morning at hospital, had tetanus booster and first of a course of Rabies vaccination just to be sure, the serum (rabies vaccine into hand) wasn't needed.

Red and swollen today so took ibuprofen also.

23 minutes ago, digital said:

Thanks, Changed to add in 500mg amoxy (to take with the 500/125 twice a day) when run out continue with the 1000/125, Dr recommended total 7 days.

Sent the Dr this morning at hospital, had tetanus booster and first of a course of Rabies vaccination just to be sure, the serum (rabies vaccine into hand) wasn't needed.

Red and swollen today so took ibuprofen also.

Is serum the first one following a bite\scratch? why wasn't that needed? no risk?

On 10/3/2022 at 3:34 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Is serum the first one following a bite\scratch? why wasn't that needed? no risk?

I wasn't sure what this 'serum' was, my wife was checking around and they kept saying you might need 'serum', I thought they meant an antibiotic but its just for rabies. Dr didn't mention it but my wife was asking him about it and he said didn't need it, don't know why maybe because of low risk.

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

More realistically:

Never again get physically between 2 fighting cats, at least not without  heavy gloves or oven mitts on.

The best thing to do when cats are fighting is to throw water on them.

Normally I would, it was a quick reaction without thinking. They were making a racket and I went into the room and as I shouted and clapped my hands (normally enough to stop it) one pounced on the other. I grabbed her by the scruff and pulled her off and put her right down but she clamped onto me and wouldn't let go whilst scratching me up with her back legs. I've had the odd nip and scratch, but this is the worst by far.

31 minutes ago, digital said:

Normally I would, it was a quick reaction without thinking. They were making a racket and I went into the room and as I shouted and clapped my hands (normally enough to stop it) one pounced on the other. I grabbed her by the scruff and pulled her off and put her right down but she clamped onto me and wouldn't let go whilst scratching me up with her back legs. I've had the odd nip and scratch, but this is the worst by far.

I hear you. It's happened to me several times and 2 whopping cellulitis-es as a result. Almost had to spend one Christmas in the hospital as needed IV treatment.

I've learned my lesson (I hope!). Throw water or use a long handled broom - but water works best. With broom they just re-convene and go back to it, but water dowsing tends to break it up. Even after the fight breaks up need to wait a bit before trying to pick up your cat, they stay hyper agitated for while after.

• Thumbs Up 1

During my working life I was quite regularly bitten by cats. I became quite sensitive to the bacteria from their claws & teeth, & without treatment the redness & inflammation would begin within 4 hours! It became my routine - get scratched , walk to dispensary, & self medicate with Amoxyclav @ 10mg/kg for 5 days. 

Never had a problem & am still alive to tell the tale!

As Sheryl has said , Doxy is fine to be taken with Amoxyclav - & Metronidazole will upset your guts!!

32 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Even after the fight breaks up need to wait a bit before trying to pick up your cat, they stay hyper agitated for while after.

Yes - completely agree.       Dogs are like men - they will be angry , but you give them some food & they will roll over for a belly rub.

Cats are like women - they will be snarky for days....

• Haha 1