install Windows 11

Mavideol

researched the forum about windows 11 but couldn't find any links, thus decided to ask if anybody has installed windows 11 and if so is it better then win 10 as I just received a message telling me that I can update from 10 to 11, just wonder if 11 is as stable and easy to use as 10

thanks

It looks a little different and that's about it.

Likely at least 90% of what you are doing you do in programs like Word or Excel, etc. They work exactly the same in Windows 11 and 10.

And be careful with that update! I don't know how often that happens, but I had one brand new computer with Windows 10 and I let Windows update to 11. Failure! The update seemed to work but when the computer started in Windows 11 there was no start menu anywhere. I researched that problem and I found out other people have the same problem. And no solution!

At the end I formatted the system, and I installed Windows 11 from scratch. In my case that was no problem, because it was a brand-new PC without any data, and I had the time. But if that would have been a normal PC in use with data, I would have been <deleted> with that problem. 

• Thanks 2

There are good videos on installing on YouTube but the general consensus appears to be it isnt worth installing for the minor changes that Microsoft have made. At the end of the day it is up to the individual to decide if they want to install it or not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

If you check for updates it should be there I don't do much fancy stuff just surf so not much to see for me ????

I have it there ready to install as it appears my machine complies, but, but....but and if.....thus decided to ask

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It looks a little different and that's about it.

Likely at least 90% of what you are doing you do in programs like Word or Excel, etc. They work exactly the same in Windows 11 and 10.

And be careful with that update! I don't know how often that happens, but I had one brand new computer with Windows 10 and I let Windows update to 11. Failure! The update seemed to work but when the computer started in Windows 11 there was no start menu anywhere. I researched that problem and I found out other people have the same problem. And no solution!

At the end I formatted the system, and I installed Windows 11 from scratch. In my case that was no problem, because it was a brand-new PC without any data, and I had the time. But if that would have been a normal PC in use with data, I would have been <deleted> with that problem. 

555 been there done that 555....   and know the frustration, I did a complete back up but heard they had some bugs with original release, maybe now they are fixed, I use mostly for e-mail (outlook, gmx and gmail) and word/excel besides that firefox as web browser as don't want to be a depending slave of microsoft edge, thanks for the feed back, appreciated

by any chance did you use any of the help, this link looks interesting

https://www.theverge.com/22715331/how-to-install-windows-11-unsupported-cpu-intel-amd-registry-regedit

Edited by Mavideol
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jerno said:

It's not worth it. Layout changes are annoying with no benefits.  Nothing better for basic users which is vast majority of people.  Am considering going back to version 10..

was thinking about keeping 10 but sooner or later it will be obsolete, as @anchadian said 3 years or before, the link below shows how to install without problems

https://www.theverge.com/22715331/how-to-install-windows-11-unsupported-cpu-intel-amd-registry-regedit

Edited by Mavideol

2 hours ago, anchadian said:

I'll stick to Windows 10 for another 3 years.

appreciate the feed back, the problem with the video and their opinion it's somehow not what I expected, as the introduction clearly indicates the people who did the video received goods/services or other things to produce it, maybe somebody who doesn't like Gates

check this link please

• Like 2

I'm planning to build a new high end gaming rig once the Intel Gen13 processors are available (probably i9-13900KF or i7-13700KF), to replace my now slightly aging hardware. Looks like I will have to go the Windows 11 route as this has a proper support  for the new Intel processor architecture and can schedule tasks properly between the P-cores and E-cores on the new Intel CPUs.

So if you're upgrading or already running Intel Gen12 or Gen13 high end i5 and up processors, Windows 11 is recommended.

On 10/2/2022 at 6:24 PM, Mavideol said:

was thinking about keeping 10 but sooner or later it will be obsolete, as @anchadian said 3 years or before

We got a member here still running Win XP. Recently a mamber inquired about continuing to use his Win 7. In fact a whole subreddit's devoted to supporting Win 7; it's still a thing. If you know what you're doing, use third-party antivir, firewall, and updated browser, you'd be fine with Win 7, assuming the software you need still runs with it. I used "obsolete" XP years after our high tech gurus here sneered at me for not moving to their cutting-edge Vista.???? 

My point is there's no rush to move to Win 11 unless it offers something you think you need.

Having tuned, tweaked, and config'd all the issues out of my Win 10 (assuming an update doesn't screw it up), I'll be staying with it for the foreseeable future. I may move to Linux, or I'll upgrade (some would say "downgrade") to Win 10 IOT Enterprise, whose support ends in 2032. I'm dual booting it on my spare desktop with SUSE Tumbleweed and really like it.

https://i.redd.it/ie2uwwjkmmu91.jpg 

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

Recently a mamber inquired about continuing to use his Win 7. In fact a whole subreddit's devoted to supporting Win 7; it's still a thing. If you know what you're doing, use third-party antivir, firewall, and updated browser

Edge works perfectly well on win7 as does supported 32bit software.

I use Win 7 to watch downloaded videos and am making this post on an old acer aspire one on win7!  A small lightweight computer with 9hr battery life great for multi VERY simple single tasking!

• Like 1