What is the current Government electricity rate for tenants?

spambot

After inquiring on 6 month leases in both Bangkok and Pattaya. All confirmed Electricity charges are at Government rate, but mostly all charging a different rate. The rate quoted most regularly (in both Bangkok and Pattaya) is 8 Baht and a few (both locations) charge 4.5 / 5 Baht

Does anyone know what the actual current Government rate is?

• Like 1

As above.

About 5 Baht now depending on consumption.

8 Baht is the usual way of hiding rental cost.

Would not be surprised if they start to charge even more after the recent rise of government rate.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

there is no 1 rate. You will probably be on 1.1.2

2E45DBD0-E1BA-4112-892E-362398426A89.jpeg.dc5525cb528de5190d0229c858937e56.jpeg

there is an an additional  FT charge that is around ฿1 per unit though there is a sliding scale discount at the moment, if you use a lot, no discount.

the 4.5 /5 Baht is roughly correct. The reason that nobody can be precise is that your consumption could be using 1 meter for more than 1 place but a private meter to calculate your charge.

Thanks for that - Yup its same as this which I was looking at earlier.

https://www.mea.or.th/en/aboutelectric/116/280/form/11

I am not absolutely sure, but I think that this relates to single domestic dwelling and there is a separate fixed rate that was introduced on 1 May 2018, called Thai Landlord-Tenant Code, designed to prevent charging tenants more than a Government rate. I think this was only for landlords with more than 5 rental accommodations. The was introduced at 4 Baht in Bangkok, then amended to allowing 20% extra charge for landlords to cover maintenance, 4.5Baht.

I am assuming however that this rate is probably no longer applicable and been amended, but I really have no idea.

What I do remember is that each location has a different electric authority and last time I was in Bangkok it was governed by the MEA rate

25 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

As above.

Would not be surprised if they start to charge even more after the recent rise of government rate.

Thanks KhunBENQ,

Yes I think you are right.

I did have a landlord that was charging 6 Baht Kwh, who immediately after the 'Landlord-Tenant Code 2018' was introduced (see previous post) my unit Electricity charge came down to the specified 4.5 Baht rate, but then my rent went up by 500 Baht a month.

I suspect that if the apartments quoting 8 Baht did bring their Electricity unit cost down inline with Gov rate they would similarly just increase their monthly rental charge.

What is the current Government electricity rate for tenants?

Whatever the landlord can get away with; that means, whatever they like!

Some years ago, landlords were told that they can't charge more that the published rate.  But, nothing changed.  A lot of landlords are currently openly advertising 10/11 baht per Kwh, more than double the published rate.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, arick said:

You should be recieving the bill and paying it directly yourself 

Incorrectly stated, there ar various different ways that electricity can be supplied and charged. You seem to think that your preferred way is the only one. However you shouldn’t be paying a premium over the PEA/MEA rate.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, spambot said:

Thanks KhunBENQ,

Yes I think you are right.

I did have a landlord that was charging 6 Baht Kwh, who immediately after the 'Landlord-Tenant Code 2018' was introduced (see previous post) my unit Electricity charge came down to the specified 4.5 Baht rate, but then my rent went up by 500 Baht a month.

I suspect that if the apartments quoting 8 Baht did bring their Electricity unit cost down inline with Gov rate they would similarly just increase their monthly rental charge.

Actually it is against the law to "resell" electricity, so 8Baht/kWh is illegal it should be 4.5 to 5 Baht depending on your usage as set by MEA/PEA. But TIT so no enforcement. It is just a way of ripping off the poorer people. Condominiums and Houses receive a bill direct from MEA/PEA and thus the correct rate. "Apartment" owners write their own bills and generally it is 8B/kWh 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Incorrectly stated, there ar various different ways that electricity can be supplied and charged. You seem to think that your preferred way is the only one. However you shouldn’t be paying a premium over the PEA/MEA rate.

Does anyone know whether or not there are rules concerning rates charged by juristic persons to condo co-owners, and mubaan owners?

A link to definitive legislation would be useful.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

As above.

Yes.  Always ask this before renting.  That easily adds 3-4000 in a monthly payment.

• Like 1

Depending on the rental? 

If you are renting a place and the actual government bill is being deliver to you then the rate is in the range 4-4.75 baht a unit. 

Higher if you are a high user.

If paying through the owner,  condo,  etc.  You are renting from most likely they are tacking on in general it might be 7-8 baht a unit.  

I've not since a government slip asking 7-8 baht

Edited by thailand49
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Depending on the rental? 

If you are renting a place and the actual government bill is being deliver to you then the rate is in the range 4-4.75 baht a unit. 

Higher if you are a high user.

If paying through the owner,  condo,  etc.  You are renting from most likely they are tacking on in general it might be 7-8 baht a unit.  

I've not since a government slip asking 7-8 baht

I'd say more like 50% of the time.  Just make sure you ask up front so you can calculate it into your monthly expenses ahead of the time.

When I first came to thailand I was paying X, then I moved to a double size condo and my electric went down. Made no sense until I learned about this.

• Love It 1