Anyone heard of a COD scam here?

Kenny202

Got a call from Kerry Express tonight, we were out. Guy said he had a delivery but couldn't leave it because 800 baht COD. I do get a lot of deliveries and sometimes lose track but just about 100% sure I didn't order anything COD....not off Lazada or Facebook. I know the Kerry driver so the delivery itself is legit. Even the tracking number and point of origin look weird. No name of sender or anything just a number. He is bringing it back tomorrow so be interesting to open it up, if they will allow it. 

• Like 1

Just now, CharlieH said:

Bare in mind you should pay before you open it, and it could be a plastic toy !

If you didnt order it , REFUSE IT.

Oh I didn't know that! I wont be paying for it that's for sure. Bit pointless having COD if you have to pay before checking the goods

• Haha 1

COD scam is common... 

The delivery company sell your details...  (data privacy is not a thing at all in Thailand). 

They [the scammers] know your phone number, address, name... they know you use Lazada / Shopee etc...   You are told you have a delevery which you have to pay for - CoD..... Except you never ordered anything...  

Some people pay for the CoD delivery because, like you they order plenty of things and its difficult to keep track of if you are busy... their spouse orders stuff etc..    

They open the package and.... Boom.. is only a bloomin’ sex toy !!!... 

• Like 2

Paying by Credit card is the most secure way IMO...

I know people prefer to pay CoD but that opens us up to this scam. 

If we never order CoD we can’t be scammed... So.. when a CoD parcel arrives for me, my Wife knows I didn’t order it because I only ever order by credit card (through Lazada or Shopee etc).

There is of course a risk of getting a fake or the wrong item paying by CC, but thats easily reversed with Lazada and shopee... I’ve sent loads of items back for being fake or not as described and never had an issue getting a refund, sometimes it takes a few weeks but the issues have always been resolved. 

Once we’ve paid cash to a CoD scam, thats it, no recourse so IMO its best to avoid CoD full stop unless is tesco’s delivery etc.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, VinnieK said:

Check your Lazada acct,.. there must be a notification in the 'to receive' box with all the details if the item

If nothing's there.. it's a scam

Its nothing from Lazada or Shopee so no chance of returning the items nor is it Facebook. It has to be a scam. My wife googled it in Thai before and many reports of similar incidents.

• Like 1

I ordered from lazada and paid for it when it came driver said cod I said no I paid for it already and showed him I was told to contact lazada and have them reimburse me I did when driver came back I told him I not pay until I see item after 5 minutes he opened package it was correct so I paid him

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Sometimes you can tell it's a scam COD by the package weight and size

Not always, been scammed once here buying a thing off facebook (not cod). Box of old rusty bolts arrived

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Havefunme said:

I ordered from lazada and paid for it when it came driver said cod I said no I paid for it already and showed him I was told to contact lazada and have them reimburse me I did when driver came back I told him I not pay until I see item after 5 minutes he opened package it was correct so I paid him

Could have been a genuine mistake by the seller or an attempt to catch you unawares and obtain payment twice?

There are lots of different types of scams around COD.

Another doing the rounds on Lazada is you buy something COD on Lazada, the seller ships you some rusty nails outside of Lazada’s system and never marks the item “shipped” on Lazada.  You pay COD, the freight company pays the scammer and Lazada eventually cancels the order because it wasn’t shipped.  You have no recourse through Lazada.

Never order anything COD, you can’t check the parcel before opening it and there is now way to get a refund from the freight company or Lazada.

Suppose you accept a parcel COD you haven’t ordered and it’s drugs, the moment you sign for it the BIB arrive and you get a few years complimentary stay at the Bangkok Hilton.  It happened to a girl in Phuket.

COD is a mugs game.

• Like 1

I nearly got caught on a COD scam that was on FB. A brand new Sony camera, latest model, a special promotion price of around 3-4K Bt. I entered thinking what the hell it's COD, I got nothing to lose, then a couple weeks later I got a phone call from a delivery man saying they had my parcel and there was 3-4K Bt to pay. I thought WOW how lucky I got one of those Sony cameras, I'm a lucky SOB. But when the parcel came it was too small and too light, so I was suspicious. The delivery man said I could not have a look a check it out first, had to pay the money then I could open it. He advised me against it, and said it could be a plastic toy or a cake of soap, I'd I'd be out of pocket a few thousand baht. So there are lots of these COD scams going on. Be careful.

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

There are lots of different types of scams around COD.

Another doing the rounds on Lazada is you buy something COD on Lazada, the seller ships you some rusty nails outside of Lazada’s system and never marks the item “shipped” on Lazada.  You pay COD, the freight company pays the scammer and Lazada eventually cancels the order because it wasn’t shipped.  You have no recourse through Lazada.

Never order anything COD, you can’t check the parcel before opening it and there is now way to get a refund from the freight company or Lazada.

Suppose you accept a parcel COD you haven’t ordered and it’s drugs, the moment you sign for it the BIB arrive and you get a few years complimentary stay at the Bangkok Hilton.  It happened to a girl in Phuket.

COD is a mugs game.

Kinda agree, i did use COD briefly because I didn't trust items from China would arrive (like AliExpress), doesn't seem to be a problem on Lazada so now no COD

Edited by scubascuba3

16 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Got a call from Kerry Express tonight, we were out

If you are able to receive a message from delivery guy, you should be able to take a look in your shopping app for any order on the way too. 

Never had a call from delivery companies without open orders. 

On 10/4/2022 at 8:58 PM, CharlieH said:

Bare in mind you should pay before you open it, and it could be a plastic toy !

If you didnt order it , or dont recall it, REFUSE IT.

of coarse you need to pay first or they wont give it to you sometimes i say let me see the package to feel the weight so i gt a good idea but once my wife ordered  something dr. jill face cream was $1,800 baht for 2 bottles when she opened after it was something (<deleted>) worth $100 - $200 baht had no recourse as i just got the run around from the seller and  lazada, that pay first is bull the seller knows it therefor they screw you a lot.

16 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Kinda agree, i did use COD briefly because I didn't trust items from China would arrive (like AliExpress), doesn't seem to be a problem on Lazada so now no COD

of coarse you need to pay first or they wont give it to you sometimes i say let me see the package to feel the weight so i gt a good idea but once my wife ordered  something dr. jill face cream was $1,800 baht for 2 bottles when she opened after it was something (<deleted>) worth $100 - $200 baht had no recourse as i just got the run around from the seller and  lazada, that pay first is bull the seller knows it therefor they screw you a lot.

16 hours ago, scubascuba3 said: