Where to buy a reliable scale in Bangkok

TheLaughingMan

1 minute ago, Gaccha said:

I use an 'Honor Scale 2-809'.

It provides weight, bmi, body fat percentage, skeletal bone mass, visceral fat, bone mineral content, basal metabolic rate.

You can get upgrades which measure your stress levels and so on... 

Anyway, I bought it on Lazada. It uses the Huawei Health App, so it integrates with, for example, a Huawei sportswatch and so on. 

I like it. Pretty cheap. 

Oooh I didnt even consider the app aspect, Id probably be looking for something that is usable with my apple watch and iphone health system.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, moogradod said:

When in BKK go try Central Department store and look for a scale "TANITA" brand. They offer everything up to the professional level. At least in Pattaya Central Festival they have some basic models so I expect more in BKK. My Tanita is capable of doing about what the "Honor" scale can. Tanita is not cheap, though. I brought mine from Switzerland so I do not know about the prices here - expect a very hefty price tag but at least you can touch and feel what you are buying instead of ordering a lower level product from Lazada.

Thats great thankyou

1 hour ago, TheLaughingMan said:

I did google and was unable to get the answer I needed and why is almost EVERYONE on this website forum a complete and utter <deleted>?!  Do you people think this behaviour is normal?  I left for 6 years and dealt with rational pleasant people and then I come back and cant ask any kind of question without some jerkface commenting nonsense.  WHY?!

I have also been looking for a set of scales similar to the ones in hospitals, where the readout is around waist level. I can't find them anywhere.

I have just read down and found this.

48 minutes ago, Gaccha said:

I use an 'Honor Scale 2-809'.

It provides weight, bmi, body fat percentage, skeletal bone mass, visceral fat, bone mineral content, basal metabolic rate.

You can get upgrades which measure your stress levels and so on... 

Anyway, I bought it on Lazada. It uses the Huawei Health App, so it integrates with, for example, a Huawei sportswatch and so on. 

I like it. Pretty cheap. 

Sadly the response from Lazada was 

Honor Scale 2-809
0 items found for "Honor Scale 2-809"
Sort By:
View:
Search No Result
We're sorry. We cannot find any matches for your search term.

I started to look at weight scales but there are 60 pages of them.

Edited by billd766
added extra text

10 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I have also been looking for a set of scales similar to the ones in hospitals, where the readout is around waist level. I can't find them anywhere.

TANITA as a brand for sure. Just look at their website. My Tanita has a handle that may be pulled from the base station until just before your eyes and you can easily read the results.

Unfortunately I do as well not know where to get something like this in Thailand. Why not ask in Central, or at a hospital directly ?

Or the most obvious: Ask Tanita on their website for distributors for Thailand.

Edited by moogradod
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, moogradod said:

TANITA as a brand for sure. Just look at their website. My Tanita has a handle that may be pulled from the base station until just before your eyes and you can easily read the results.

Unfortunately I do as well not know where to get something like this in Thailand. Why not ask in Central, or at a hospital directly ?

Thank you for your suggestion.

Unfortunately I live about 350 km from Bangkok and Central.

I suspect that nobody in the local hospitals will know either as that sort of stuff will be handles by the Min of Health.

22 minutes ago, Cardano said:

Can you please explain how a weighing scale can accurately provide any measurement other than weight? bmi, body fat percentage, skeletal bone mass, visceral fat, bone mineral content, basal metabolic rate

Electric current and algorithms. Used with compatible app.

They are called bio-impedance scales...

I have one... made by Xiaomi. 

Edited by bobbin
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Cardano said:

Can you please explain how a weighing scale can accurately provide any measurement other than weight? bmi, body fat percentage, skeletal bone mass, visceral fat, bone mineral content, basal metabolic rate

I wanted to ask exactly the same.

I always find it amazing what some products claim to be able to do.

I would prefer an old mechanical one. Simple and functional. Once the batteries runs out in the new fancy ones, one is too lazy to find and change the battery because it's one of those stupid button batteries and the local shops don't have them and it's a perfect excuse to stop monitoring your weight and thus loose control of it:)

13 hours ago, billd766 said:

I have just read down and found this.

Sadly the response from Lazada was 

Honor Scale 2-809
0 items found for "Honor Scale 2-809"
Sort By:
View:
Search No Result
We're sorry. We cannot find any matches for your search term.

I started to look at weight scales but there are 60 pages of them.

Only upto a 100kg but lazada have this.......

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.739aO

Found another upto 150kg same design.(best seler) upto 1.5m height.

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.73On4

Same better price

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.73OtP

SmartSelect_20221006_085622_Lazada.jpg

SmartSelect_20221006_090754_Lazada.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, billd766 said:

have also been looking for a set of scales similar to the ones in hospitals, where the readout is around waist level. I can't find them anywhere

10 second search in Lazada ????

Screenshot_20221006_094622_com.lazada.android.jpg

1 hour ago, bobbin said:

And you saw my answer , posted 12 hours ago, right?

Now I looked it up. Thanks.

But I have to admit I still doubt if all these properties can be accurately measured with a little current and weight sensors. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bioelectrical_impedance_analysis#Accuracy

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I still doubt if all these properties can be accurately measured with a little current and weight sensors. 

BMI is just a calculation from weight & height.  The others are all derived from one basic measure:  inferred water content (muscles -- high water content -- conduct better). 

It turns out that the distribution of weight, height, and inferred water content map fairly consistently to all of the other measures, e.g. for a given BMI, high muscle content has a higher metabolic rate than high fat.   Four problems:

- the hand and foot devices are more accurate than just feet,

- the inferred model varies by ethnicity, sex, and at the extremes,

- subject test states (e.g. dehydration) can effect daily results, and 

- while average performance can be good (as verified by more direct measures), individual reports can have high variance.

There is extensive discussion of this stuff in the context of evaluating these devices to determine eligibility for high school wrestling in the US, which sets minimum body fat requirements, e.g.: 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1421483/     

and this comment and response

https://scholarlyworks.lvhn.org/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=3159&context=medicine 

Bottom line is that if you measure yourself under the same diet / exercise conditions every day then day-to-day trends (but not necessarily numbers) are probably meaningful.  And, if you validate your body fat result against a more accurate test, then the numbers are more likely to be meaningful.   Otherwise, pick up an extra battery at the 7/11 and just track weight or BMI.  

-- Retiree 

Edited by retiree
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Only upto a 100kg but lazada have this.......

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.739aO

Found another upto 150kg same design.(best seler) upto 1.5m height.

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.73On4

Same better price

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.73OtP

SmartSelect_20221006_085622_Lazada.jpg

SmartSelect_20221006_090754_Lazada.jpg

Thank you very much.

I found the second one by snipping out most of the text.

It is definitely the sort of thing I am looking for.

• Like 1