Gallbladder Problem

siftasam

I wish someone somewhere could invent a revolutionary procedure to extract the stones without actually removing the gallbladder. I have these stones (discovered at Raffles Hospital in Singapore) in 2014. Totally asymptomatic back then but I now have occasional episodes of abdominal pain (i.e. pain that sometimes radiates to my back). Quoted price of 340k thb is manageable and well within my means but I'm not very keen on having the gallbladder extracted after reading about potential lifelong post-op issues.

A temp solution of mine is to put it off... sort of distract myself and think about happier things. Pretend it isn't there. Bad habit, i know.

1 minute ago, Thomas KH said:

I wish someone somewhere could invent a revolutionary procedure to extract the stones without actually removing the gallbladder. I have these stones (discovered at Raffles Hospital in Singapore) in 2014. Totally asymptomatic back then but I now have occasional episodes of abdominal pain (i.e. pain that sometimes radiates to my back). Quoted price of 340k thb is manageable and well within my means but I'm not very keen on having the gallbladder extracted after reading about potential lifelong post-op issues.

A temp solution of mine is to put it off... sort of distract myself and think about happier things. Pretend it isn't there. Bad habit, i know.

Did you consider a change in diet i.e. low fat?

About four years ago, I thought I was having a heart attack. It turned out to be gall bladder sludge in the bile duct, referred pain to my stomach. Resolved with 5 mg of Endone. Ultrasound did not indicate the presence of gallstones.

In the OP's case, I suppose it depends on whether he has gallstones, and their size.

To reduce the demands on my gall bladder, I avoid fats, and opt for cheese and yoghurt as more digestible.

23 hours ago, siftasam said:

A belated but very sincere thank you for all your replies.

The problem seems to be now out of my hands(?)

I felt soreness on my right side last week and thought at first it was a kidney infection/ UTI. I had a similar soreness 10 years ago that turned out to be very small kidney stones which thankfully 'passed'.

I went to a different hospital, had a blood test, a urine test and an X-ray.

The culprit is gallstones, so once again a doctor has advised that my gallbladder be removed.

I see no alternative since I'm told there's nothing can be done without surgery to stop or ameliorate the problem; so next week I'll check that this is possible now considering a problem I have (high PSA prostate level) and a problem I had last year (a DVT in my leg).

I'll read back over all your wonderful comments and recommendations and, I'm sure, I'll comment on them more.

Again, may I thank you all very much indeed!

sorry to hear that bad news, where exactly were the pains on your right side, on the side or towards the back, 

On 10/7/2022 at 11:07 AM, Mentors65 said:

I recommend Phyathai 2 in Bangkok for this, from my own experience

And for me Phyathai 1 in Bangkok, if it gets to needing the surgery. Had it removed there in July by Dr. Wudhichai Kittipadakul (https://phyathai1international.com/dr-wudhichai-kittipadakul/) and he is awesome. Maybe someone you wish to talk to before making a decision on whether to cut it or not.

In my case I didn't really have much of an option given severe infection after years of discomfort that was misdiagnosed previously.

Yes, cost was around 300k from what I remember and I have left hospital with 4 patched holes, 3 days after the surgery. Follow up appointments to remove stitches, etc. were free of charge.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/25/2022 at 4:34 PM, Sheryl said:

An incisional hernia is possible after any open abdominal surgery but would be very, very unlikley with laparoscopic surgery.

Apple cider vinegar does not dissolve gallstones. Diet changes can reduce painful attacks (i.e. low fat intake will reduce need for gallbladder to express bile)  but not eliminate the stones he already has either.

Mine was laparoscopic, at the navel incision. Not to deter others, as even if I had read the small print on the consent form, I was in so much pain for a week, I would've signed anyway.