Exit and returning to Thailand on Visa exempt after an extension.

Your OP is not clear.

If you mean exit Thailand then return visa exempt then the airline at departure for your return to thailand may require an onward flight.

If you have been in Thailand and planning to bounce and return via air then your reentry is not a guarantee.

You would be advised to obtain tourist visa. 

If you simply want to do a border bounce to extend your stay in Thailand, be aware that you can do this at most land crossings with 100% safety without an onward flight booking. The only restriction is that you are only permitted two visa exemptions by land in a calendar year.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

...  If you have been in Thailand and planning to bounce and return via air then your reentry is not a guarantee.

You would be advised to obtain tourist visa. 

Dr. Jack, I thought unlimited number of visa exempt entries via air allowed.

I am on exempt entry extension (came in by air) and planned to make a side-trip for a few days to maybe KL or Vientiane towards the end of this month to fly back in for a second round.

Are you saying this is dodgy and I may not get back in? How dodgy is it? Or is your comment specific to OP?

For info: This is my 1st stay here since 2017 when I did 2 months on a TR visa. I've been playing the snowbird since about 2002 - almost always with TR visa. I have no overstay history as such (2 days in 2005 or whenever).

I'd rather make a side trip to explore somewhere new from time to time than a one day land hop. That was my basic plan here before I return home in Spring next year.

Edited by BusyB

1 hour ago, BusyB said:

For info: This is my 1st stay here since 2017 when I did 2 months on a TR visa. I've been playing the snowbird since about 2002 - almost always with TR visa. I have no overstay history as such (2 days in 2005 or whenever)

With your history the plan you outline is fine.

You won't have an issue.

People can run in issues with extended stay in Thailand and back to back visa exempt entries.

Even moreso when there is brief time outside of Thailand.

Visa exempt entries via air are unlimited however that's a misnomer.

BTW you can do two visa exempt entries via land border per calendar year. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BusyB said:

I am on exempt entry extension (came in by air) and planned to make a side-trip for a few days to maybe KL or Vientiane towards the end of this month to fly back in for a second round.

If you leave and then re-enter after a few days in another country you will not have a problem.

Immigration only makes a problem if appear to be using visa exempt entries to live here by leaving and returning on the same day. Spending at least a night or 2 away it will not throw up any flags.

• Thanks 2

On 10/8/2022 at 11:53 AM, ubonjoe said:

If you leave and then re-enter after a few days in another country you will not have a problem.

Immigration only makes a problem if appear to be using visa exempt entries to live here by leaving and returning on the same day. Spending at least a night or 2 away it will not throw up any flags.

Many thanks Joe.