Thai bank account and driving licence issue (change of name by deed poll)

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

I would say bring proof of UK  name change, maybe a confirmation letter from UK embassy.

Get Thai translations and photocopies, get new Thai driving licences and change name at the bank. 

Thank you. Would it make it easier and less complicated to use the service of, say, Siam Legal or a similar agent to sort it all out?

1 hour ago, Thomas KH said:

Thank you. Would it make it easier and less complicated to use the service of, say, Siam Legal or a similar agent to sort it all out?

I would guess so if he still has any problems with the certified proof his gets in UK and it is not translated to Thai correctly. 

My Thai wife changed her name to my surname at marriage and got things changed over OK I don't see why it will be a problem for your friend if he has cerfied proof. 

17 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

I would guess so if he still has any problems with the certified proof his gets in UK and it is not translated to Thai correctly. 

My Thai wife changed her name to my surname at marriage and got things changed over OK I don't see why it will be a problem for your friend if he has cerfied proof. 

Except your Thai born wife was doing these changes in Thailand. The procedures for the locals can be cut and dried but any similar dealings by a foreigner is fraught with the incorrect translation, letter from embassy or certified by MOFA circus.

Don't the UK authorities issue some formal documentation with the before/after details of the name change by deed poll? I recall reading a fairly recent post about someone seeking advice on what's needed for Thai immigration to transfer/renew an extension when the same person is presenting their new passport with their new name (deed poll change). I recall mention of there being two official methods of doing the name change in the UK but only one provides this supporting documentation?

If the OP's friend still has full control over the existing, old-name accounts, including online access, why not open new account(s) and do regular transfers from old to new accounts over a period of time?

• Thumbs Up 1