Many Russians on BKK-HKT flight.

CANSIAM

On 10/10/2022 at 11:26 AM, plus7 said:

Yes, yes.... I but it happened in US history and Vietnam war. Do you want to discuss it too ? I doubt, it is such an obvious topic.

Don't you know that even Ukranians try to escape draft too ?

About russians, some flee, but much more go to the war. With fears, but go.

I have not seen the documented numbers so I would be hesitant to make this determination.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2022 at 11:32 AM, Jingthing said:

Well yes I do think about Vietnam.

I knew some draft dodgers but all were active dissenters (but the penalties for that were mild compared to Russia). 

I was an active dissenter myself, sorry, Okies from Muskokies. 

About Russians fleeing. Come on man. Can you name one time in world history where there has been such a dramatic and large wave of "draft dodgers" fleeing any other country? 

I do not take issue but counsel restraint as we do not have the facts and figures yet. As for a dramatic and large wave of draft dodgers, I feel guilty as I would have to research this. My suspicion is that: 1. current media coverage may be influencing our thinking and 2. I do seriously suspect we would find previous wars around the globe where we would find substantial numbers of me fleeing military service ( yes, just an educated guess based on my reading of history).

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

Maybe they can apply for political asylum in some countries. I seem to remember Canada as a destination in earlier wrongful political decisions.

Well during the entire very long Vietnam War according to this there were roughly only 40,000 that fled to Canada and they classed as immigrants not refugees.

I never heard of a dodger on that era that went to any other country than Canada  Of course there were some but definitely mostly Canada. One of my best buddies migrated to Manitiba with his entire war protesting family. I remember the farewell party. Manitoba sounded like Siberia.

https://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/u-s-vietnam-war-draft-dodgers-left-their-mark-on-canada/

• Like 1

The war was over before I was 18 but I would have been 4F. I started protesting at 13. Let my freak flag fly and all that.

My story might beat yours. A neighbors family was driving down to a major protest in their Citroen but my Dad forbade it. Not sure that he was very pro war but he thought my activities might threaten his defense oriented government job.  So he literally tied me to a chair in the basement! Naturally I escaped. Don't get me wrong. He was a sweetheart.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

https://foreignpolicy.com/2022/10/04/russia-putin-mobilization-central-asia-conscripts-flee/

According to this an estimated "hundreds of thousands" of Russians had fled the country to avoid conscription in a very short period of time as of 2 October. They keep coming and to several different countries. The line at the Georgian border could be seen from space.

I challenge all to cite a comparably large or bigger such movement of men fleeing conscription in history. 

Edited by Jingthing

15 minutes ago, whereyougo said:

Doubt it. Why do expats assume everyone else is also poor? 

I don't.

Some of them left with one days notice. 

They are not typical expats!

They ran for their lives.

They have issues with Russian Bank cards working.

They are a wide range of wealth levels and ages.

Some have valuable marketable skills.

Some don't.

Very few left with detailed long term financial plans.

Use your common sense.

The longer they need to be out of Russia the number that will run out of money will inevitably increase.

They may need to be out indefinitely. Nobody knows how long.

Edited by Jingthing

I would leave too if someone tried to force me into an illegal war on a sovereign country. If it was to fight for my home country I would stay.

Not all Russians are Putin lovers. If they have the money , why shouldn’t they leave ? A huge amount of Russians have condos in Thailand and homes in many other countries, or have left Russia a long time ago.

They can get visas , renew them, do border hops, stay in Cambodia, Vietnam, Bali for a long time on their savings. Anywhere that will have them. These countries aren’t reserved exclusively for Europeans and Americans. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

I don't.

Some of them left with one days notice. 

They are not typical expats!

They ran for their lives.

They have issues with Russian Bank cards working.

They are a wide range of wealth levels and ages.

Some have valuable marketable skills.

Some don't.

Very few left with detailed long term financial plans.

Use your common sense.

The longer they need to be out of Russia the number that will run out of money will inevitably increase.

They may need to be out indefinitely. Nobody knows how long.

Never said they were expats. Only a minor portion left that could afford to longterm wether using own funds or those of wealthy parents. They can remain indefinitely in SEA especially rural areas. 

THOSE that got Nothing are porobably in body bags. Why are you struggling with this lol? 

Edited by whereyougo

20 minutes ago, whereyougo said:

Never said they were expats. Only a minor portion left that could afford to longterm wether using own funds or those of wealthy parents. They can remain indefinitely in SEA especially rural areas. 

THOSE that got Nothing are porobably in body bags. Why are you struggling with this lol? 

BAIT IGNORED

In fsct, Phuket is very busy with Ivans agsin. And more to come, their community is growing and they stick together. ED Visa for $ and hete we go. Unfortunstely, Cha Cha and his clowns don't ban them. As longvas their Zar bombs Ukraine, they are guilty the same. Don't want to get close to these people.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deli said:

In fsct, Phuket is very busy with Ivans agsin. And more to come, their community is growing and they stick together. ED Visa for $ and hete we go. Unfortunstely, Cha Cha and his clowns don't ban them. As longvas their Zar bombs Ukraine, they are guilty the same. Don't want to get close to these people.

Some are more guilty than others.

5 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

No complaints about lovely mother Russia and the boom times until the water got a bit too warm maybe? I have a Russian (St Petersburg) friend who married a Swiss some years back, and she saw and wrote, as a journalist, about the deliberate, inexorable, degradation of Russias moral centre spanning decades since Putin came to power. She can't go back home now because of her speaking out. I hope the Ukrainians drive every last son back behind the Russian border pre-Crimea invasion and show them no mercy.

Unfortunately even in a better case scenario getting Crimea back would be very hard. In fact even if Ukraine got all the rest of the east back I reckon at that point the west would be ready to push a deal hard. Not fair but what else is new?

Will Thailand - another land favorable to oligarch occupation - become the new Russian Crimea escape from reality?

July 2022

The Thaiger:

"Russian billionaire's super yacht Samui spurs hope of wealthy tourists"

What's good for the goose is good enough for the gander?

1 hour ago, Srikcir said:

Will Thailand - another land favorable to oligarch occupation - become the new Russian Crimea escape from reality?

July 2022

The Thaiger:

"Russian billionaire's super yacht Samui spurs hope of wealthy tourists"

What's good for the goose is good enough for the gander?

No, but Georgia might. So many Russians there enjoying themselves that Putin might feel to attack them again to liberate the draft dodgers from the great wine. 

On 10/10/2022 at 4:41 PM, Jingthing said:

I doubt it.

Have you seen the prices out of Russia?

I posted about this before. I follow a number of Russian youtubers who have escaped or are trying to escape. One of them was talking to a lot of them during a peak fleeing day in Moscow airport. Thailand, Bali, and Vietnam were specifically mentioned as ultimate destinations. Georgia has been most popular but because of the Russians, rents have skyrocketed and the government is talking about cracking down on easy visas for them. 

To add, men trying to leave are questioned at borders and SOME are turned away from leaving. The top targets of that are the younger men. 

I'm sure the Thai junta will sympathetically NOT grant them asylum like the little Sri Lankan criminal who fled his responsibilities recently. 

On 10/11/2022 at 2:33 PM, LALes said:

America learned an important lesson from the Vitnam War...never use a draft to fight an unpopular war. 

Better yet, never fight an unpopular war, period. I guess George Bush the Second never got the memo.

On 10/10/2022 at 10:34 AM, CANSIAM said:

Actually the escaping Vladisvostok fella said many onboard, Im sure many are holidaying rather than fleeing as well.........

And I have a good idea where they are, having just returned from a trip to Villa Market in Chalong, where I would estimate that 70% of the customers were Russian!

I stopped off at Big C (Patong) on the way back and sure enough the Russian contingent is growing there too.........

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, xylophone said:

And I have a good idea where they are, having just returned from a trip to Villa Market in Chalong, where I would estimate that 70% of the customers were Russian!

I stopped off at Big C (Patong) on the way back and sure enough the Russian contingent is growing there too.........

What sort did they seem?

Old school types?

Z types?

New wave draft dodgers?