BMA road sweeper killed in hit and run accident - lady was close to retirement

webfact

image.jpeg

Bangchan police in northern Bangkok are investigating after a 59 year old Bangkok Metropolitan Administration road sweeper was found dead in the Saphan Sung area.

Somsri, who was about to retire, was found in undergrowth by the roadside five meters from the road.

She had a broken neck and leg.

The remains of a fender were found at the scene.

The victim was part of a work detail that started each day at 4 am.

Collegaues became concerned as to the whereabouts of Somsri.

They then made the grisly discovery of her body.

Police said there was no CCTV in the area where the victim was killed and it was very early morning so there were no witnesses.

They are hoping thev CTTV elsewhere will give them a lead.

The BMA are paying 1.5 million baht in compensation to the family of the victim, reported Thai Rath

Now the hunt is on for the hit and run driver. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-10-10

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Like 1

May this women RIP.  I see them everyday cleaning the sidewalks and the road edge curbside here on Rama 4, and have always worried that there are not enough lights to make them visible.  They do wear those hi-vis orange and yellow vests but then.......my condolences to her family as well.

• Thanks 1

Last week I saw a road sweeper in Bangkok.  She was cleaning he middle section of a constantly busy main road.  There are barricades and shrubbery there.  She was standing facing the opposite of the oncoming traffic. Vehicles had to move away a little bit to not sideswipe her when passing.  She was alone wearing the orange safety vest.  Three lane road. 
I know it’s too much to ask.  But cleaning an area such as this should have a crew.  With a vehicle with flashing lights.  Not one woman with a straw broom.  But I know that’s the way it is. 
And I think part of the issue is.  Some of the drivers look at the cleaners as a low class job.  So they don’t care about them 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, swm59nj said:

Last week I saw a road sweeper in Bangkok.  She was cleaning he middle section of a constantly busy main road.  There are barricades and shrubbery there.  She was standing facing the opposite of the oncoming traffic. Vehicles had to move away a little bit to not sideswipe her when passing.  She was alone wearing the orange safety vest.  Three lane road. 
I know it’s too much to ask.  But cleaning an area such as this should have a crew.  With a vehicle with flashing lights.  Not one woman with a straw broom.  But I know that’s the way it is. 
And I think part of the issue is.  Some of the drivers look at the cleaners as a low class job.  So they don’t care about them 

It basically comes down to no common sense in Thailand. I've never seen any. Yesterday, we had a woman on a motorcycle who was killed a train after she decided that the barrier didn't apply to her and she obviously didn't even look as she rode across the track. No common sense that says you should at least look, for crissake.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Sadly these people have very little protection, but as you mentioned, they show an overwhelming degree of ignorance for their own safety. 

It is these major differences which highlight the developed from the developing world. 

Sad but true.. 

• Like 1