Strange but True ? - Advice needed

skippybangkok

BMI 30+ and eating way too much sugary stuff, my last blood sugar measurement was 117 on the 120 = Diabetes scale.  A worry for many reasons...

Started immediately on Intermittent Fasting (IF) - 8 hours eat what I want, but a lot less sweet stuff, 16 hours only water or black coffee.

Weight dropped quick, but strangely Blood Sugar measurements taken over the last week using the same machine / method has been 88, 90 and today 77 which is staggering.

Is this the real situation now, or is it just low cause I take the reading before breakfast and I am still pre-diabetic ?

p.s. - I find IF quite easy, can still eat relatively normally, just have to wait a bit longer in the morning.

I think you are getting an indication of “fasting” blood sugar levels. Work with a doctor and get an sugar challenge  test and an “AC7 “ test i think it is called.  The challenge test will give you and the doctor an indication of how your body is responding to sudden high blood sugar and the AC7 will indicate long term control of blood sugar. 

bravo on dropping the weight. Every bit helps and excess mass seems to result in several metabolic diseases. Keep it up and it will become habit and life changing. 

• Thanks 1

Any Meat and eggs plus rice or noodles

Drinks low sugar unless walk a lot

2 beers a week

4 hour eating window. Supplement with a sodium/magnesium/potassium powder

Works well

Last 5 mins before sleep input your goal weight into sc mind present tense - eg "i enjoy being 80kgs, im fit and strong, i can walk all day so easy" - do that for 21 days. 

Edited by Sparktrader
  • Thanks 1

Was the reading of 117 taken in the morning after fasting overnight? If so, possibly pre-diabetes.

Have an HbA1c test and see if your long-term glucose levels are within acceptable levels. Also take a glucose challenge test to see if your blood glucose levels spike.

If you discover Type 2 early and change diet and lifestyle, Type 2 can be reversed. Even if it is too late to be reversed, it can be managed to keep it from progressing rapidly and thus delay the very serious effects of this disease.

3 minutes ago, Andre0720 said:

Stay away from refined sugar, not just cutting down.

This means no more Thai food, as all Thai food contains some 20% added refined sugar, granular, or from added commercial sauces.

Stay away from it...

Can't understand my Mrs. Whenever we go to a noodle restaurant she puts at least two spoonfulls of sugar in my bowl. I tell her I neither want nor need it but she persists.

1 hour ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Was the reading of 117 taken in the morning after fasting overnight? If so, possibly pre-diabetes.

Have an HbA1c test and see if your long-term glucose levels are within acceptable levels. Also take a glucose challenge test to see if your blood glucose levels spike.

If you discover Type 2 early and change diet and lifestyle, Type 2 can be reversed. Even if it is too late to be reversed, it can be managed to keep it from progressing rapidly and thus delay the very serious effects of this disease.

yes.

normally about 104, but I was really loading up on sweets the week prior. 

but now 77 - also prior to eating. But I fast 16 hours now 

31 minutes ago, skippybangkok said:

yes.

normally about 104, but I was really loading up on sweets the week prior. 

but now 77 - also prior to eating. But I fast 16 hours now 

Test 2 to 3 hours after a meal for a true reading as to how your body is working as far as the pancreas is concerned.  As a diabetic, my readings upon waking are between 90 and 105, after a meal they sit between 120 and 130.  2 hours prior to the next meal I test again and generally back in the 90's.  90 day average for myself is 97, and my A1C is 5.5.  As a diabetic, exercise and diet as well as the few meds I take for it like Metformin and Jardiance keep me fairly level, but do stay away from too many carbohydrates and those sugars.....

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

Every time I see the weight watchers threads, I kind of wonder why I am so lucky to enjoy all the stuff others seek to deny themselves,????????????

Then I consider how active I am for my age, with the understanding that if my weight creeps up I have luxury of going a week without and everything is ok again ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 473geo said:

Every time I see the weight watchers threads, I kind of wonder why I am so lucky to enjoy all the stuff others seek to deny themselves,????????????

Then I consider how active I am for my age, with the understanding that if my weight creeps up I have luxury of going a week without and everything is ok again ????

genetics.. lucky indeed.