TrueMoney Wallet QR Code Scan

I am finding than an increasing number of small food vendors, etc. in Thailand are now only accepting “scan to pay” QR codes and not cash.  

I would like to find a mobile app (independent of my main bank account app) that I could load with some “prepaid” funds to make small “scan to pay” payments.  This would be just for food items, small purchases, etc. when out and about in Bangkok. I would imagine I probably wouldn’t load it with more that a few thousand baht a month for these small purchases here and there. 

The TrueMoney Wallet app has an icon labeled “Scan” (see photo).  Anyone know if this feature can be used to “scan” QR codes and make a payment directly out of the prepaid funds already in your TrueMoney Wallet?

6EADB846-E630-41D4-952F-30FAA5C81EE8.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Ohyesuare said:

TrueWallet only works with vendors who accept it. It isn't like the scan to pay PromptPay transfer that the bank apps use. Also TrueWallet requires a pink card or Thai driver's license I think if you're not a Thai citizen. 

Truemoneywallet I'm pretty sure i used my passport rather than driving licence

8 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Truemoneywallet I'm pretty sure i used my passport rather than driving licence

I initially did as well and used it for years with only that but then they put out some new anti-money laundering regulations not too long ago and required you to video call and show pink ID, thai driver's license or citizenship to keep using it so I just stopped using it. Similar to what they have now done with PayPal Thailand if you want to hold a balance.

Edited by Ohyesuare

1 minute ago, Ohyesuare said:

TrueWallet only works with vendors who accept it. It isn't like the scan to pay PromptPay transfer that the bank apps use. Also TrueWallet requires a pink card or Thai driver's license I think if you're not a Thai citizen. 

I think you have hit the nail on the head in terms of what I have been told by others already. I asked some English speaking staff (Thais) at a hotel about the “scan” feature in TrueMoney Wallet.  

Like you, they seemed to tell me that TrueMoney’s scan feature is not universally accepted like the scan feature embedded in mobile banking apps (i.e. Bangkok Bank app).  Can you elaborate a little more on this? Basically, my understanding is something like this:

1) If a food vendor displays a QR code, basically ALL the mobile banking apps (Bangkok Bank, K-Bank, Krungthai, etc.) can be used.  I guess this is right because I see the Thais all paying that way and they must be using a variety of banks amongst themselves.

2) But for whatever reason, you cannot just scan that same QR code with the TrueMoney Wallet “scan” feature and click pay.  The vendor has to somehow accept TrueMoney specifically?  Do they have a different QR code for TrueMoney Wallet users  or something?  Is there a sign they put up to let you know they accept it?

10 minutes ago, ASEANTraveler said:

I think you have hit the nail on the head in terms of what I have been told by others already. I asked some English speaking staff (Thais) at a hotel about the “scan” feature in TrueMoney Wallet.  

Like you, they seemed to tell me that TrueMoney’s scan feature is not universally accepted like the scan feature embedded in mobile banking apps (i.e. Bangkok Bank app).  Can you elaborate a little more on this? Basically, my understanding is something like this:

1) If a food vendor displays a QR code, basically ALL the mobile banking apps (Bangkok Bank, K-Bank, Krungthai, etc.) can be used.  I guess this is right because I see the Thais all paying that way and they must be using a variety of banks amongst themselves.

2) But for whatever reason, you cannot just scan that same QR code with the TrueMoney Wallet “scan” feature and click pay.  The vendor has to somehow accept TrueMoney specifically?  Do they have a different QR code for TrueMoney Wallet users  or something?  Is there a sign they put up to let you know they accept it?

Usually there is a truemoneywallet sign, i use it Otteri and paying on Lazada, 7 Eleven takes it too. Cash is still king here

“Cash is still king here.” I would be fully okay with that ???? Actually, I much prefer cash.

But, I seem to be seeming a lot of food vendors only taking the “scan.”  Maybe my fault..perhaps they have a basket of small baht notes and coins down below the cart.

You are not seeing the “scan only” trend in your area? Are you in BKK or somewhere else in Thailand?

7 minutes ago, ASEANTraveler said:

“Cash is still king here.” I would be fully okay with that ???? Actually, I much prefer cash.

But, I seem to be seeming a lot of food vendors only taking the “scan.”  Maybe my fault..perhaps they have a basket of small baht notes and coins down below the cart.

You are not seeing the “scan only” trend in your area? Are you in BKK or somewhere else in Thailand?

I'm in Pattaya and i see Thais paying using their phone for street food, maybe 50%, but they always take cash. Maybe Bangkok is different but i doubt they'd turn down cash

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If your concern is to avoid fraud, I am pretty sure you can set limits for such payments in your bank app.

For me, it’s more along the lines of just not having my bank account all “mucked up” with every little 70 and 90 baht transaction.  If the TrueMoney Wallet thing would work, then you just load a couple thousand baht on to it each month and forget about it.  But, I do not think it will work to scan the general QR codes you see the street vendors using.  Scubascuba3 helped me to understand how it works with his “I use it at Otteri” example.  Apparently…you have to see the “TrueMoney Wallet” placard/sign like in the picture on the washing machine.

C46A0597-7FF4-4F5E-888E-D61FD3C6409D.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ohyesuare said:

I initially did as well and used it for years with only that but then they put out some new anti-money laundering regulations not too long ago and required you to video call and show pink ID, thai driver's license or citizenship to keep using it so I just stopped using it. Similar to what they have now done with PayPal Thailand if you want to hold a balance.

Yes, that was something that they introduced sometime last year. They required one of the following documents to be shown on a video call:

- Work permit 

- Alien identity card

- House registration

- Driving license

- Student certification letter

I used my Thai driver's license.

The QR system used by most Thai bank is called PromptPay, they can pay each other via QR code, mobile phone number or their national ID no.

Truemoney is their own thing, 

you can't scan or send money to Prompt Pay account from True Money, once you put money in True Wallet, you can't take the money back out by transferring back to your bank or via prompt pay without incurring fees

Vendors that accept Truemoney will need to have true money edc terminal to accept true money as oppose to just any bank account for QR PromptPay

If you want a separate wallet and not your usual banking app to load money in and pay vendors QR PromptPay from, There's 'Dolfin' app that can do that 

16 minutes ago, digbeth said:

The QR system used by most Thai bank is called PromptPay, they can pay each other via QR code, mobile phone number or their national ID no.

Truemoney is their own thing, 

you can't scan or send money to Prompt Pay account from True Money, once you put money in True Wallet, you can't take the money back out by transferring back to your bank or via prompt pay without incurring fees

Vendors that accept Truemoney will need to have true money edc terminal to accept true money as oppose to just any bank account for QR PromptPay

If you want a separate wallet and not your usual banking app to load money in and pay vendors QR PromptPay from, There's 'Dolfin' app that can do that 

Yeah…I’d really like to have a separate wallet to load baht and pay using the QR PromptPay codes.  I read about your suggestion: Dolfin.  Went to the App Store (iPhone) and got error message trying to download it.  I am an American.  iPhone from USA but I am here in Bangkok now.  Anyone seen this message/having this problem/been able to successfully download “Dolfin” and use it?

A10772CA-7CD1-4860-BA0D-88D74A559476.png

26 minutes ago, ASEANTraveler said:

Yeah…I’d really like to have a separate wallet to load baht and pay using the QR PromptPay codes.  I read about your suggestion: Dolfin.  Went to the App Store (iPhone) and got error message trying to download it.  I am an American.  iPhone from USA but I am here in Bangkok now.  Anyone seen this message/having this problem/been able to successfully download “Dolfin” and use it?

A10772CA-7CD1-4860-BA0D-88D74A559476.png

To download, your appstore usually needs to be Thailand version. For Android i use my Thailand registered gmail address, maybe similar for Apple,i then switch between UK and Thailand playstore as required. No idea how good Dolphin is, no ones mentioned it before

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

To download, your appstore usually needs to be Thailand version. For Android i use my Thailand registered gmail address, maybe similar for Apple,i then switch between UK and Thailand playstore as required. No idea how good Dolphin is, no ones mentioned it before

Hopefully digbeth will reply and let us know if he/she can give a personal endorsement using “Dolfin.”

For me:

1) I can probably switch my iPhone App Store location to Thailand, but am reluctant as it might disable some of the USA apps I critically must have

2) I’d like to know if digbeth can tell us if you also need the Thailand DL, pink ID card, House Book, etc. to verify as a foreigner to use “Dolfin.”  I will have a Thailand DL in the future, but don’t have it yet.  I don’t have the other items…House Book, Pink ID, etc.

Payment by phone through apps the new scourge of inefficiency and blocking the checkout counters.

For example yesterday was in a supermarket, picked up a cornetto and went to the till to pay, first till had a woman struggling with the teller to pay and they seemed to be deeply perusing the phone. After a little waiting went to the second teller and the same situation. A third teller opened up but I was beaten to the checkout by another young lady paying by phone.

I gave up and put the ice cream back in the fridge and upon departing the supermarket at all three tellers the women were still struggling to pay through their phones.

Edited by userabcd

I am also looking for an option to use PromptPay or TrueMoney without cluttering up my bank statement with 20B purchases.

Unfortunately, I’m not able to obtain the TrueMoney Wallet as the app won’t take a photo of my passport. 

Therefore, I opened up a savings account with SCB that I use for all my small food cart purchases using PromptPay. If I were to update my bank book I’m sure I’ll the machine will run out of ink. (Most likely I’ll run out of pages first.)

12 hours ago, userabcd said:

Payment by phone through apps the new scourge of inefficiency and blocking the checkout counters.

For example yesterday was in a supermarket, picked up a cornetto and went to the till to pay, first till had a woman struggling with the teller to pay and they seemed to be deeply perusing the phone. After a little waiting went to the second teller and the same situation. A third teller opened up but I was beaten to the checkout by another young lady paying by phone.

I gave up and put the ice cream back in the fridge and upon departing the supermarket at all three tellers the women were still struggling to pay through their phones.

It's not the payment by phone apps that are the scourge, it's the technical incompetence or ignorance of people trying to use them. I pay with my phone via the Bangkok Bank app very frequently and daily and it takes less than a minute. I have it set to not ask for a PIN for small transactions, face unlock for the phone and Bangkok Bank app so I usually have it ready to go before the cashier even gets the QR code to show on the terminal and then it's just a quick scan and confirm and I'm ready to go before my receipt is even printed out.

• Thumbs Up 2

While TrueMoney wallet was still working for me, it was very convenient to use it at 7-11. As far as I know and have been told at some stores awhile ago, you can't use regular scan to pay there (Bank apps/PromptPay), does anyone know if this is the case? I rarely go to 7-11 or I'd ask again myself.

7-11 does not take PromptPay or Thai bank debit cards with the Visa or Mastercard logo.  I tested mine from 4 different banks and they all failed. 

I asked several 7-11 employees and they all said credit cards only are accepted, but not debit cards. 

However, I did discover that my Wise Mastercard debit card does indeed work at 7-11.  I use it regularly at 7-11 for small purchases like a 7 baht bottle of water, unless I have a need for small change.