PayPal re-registration now requires Thai national ID card

51 minutes ago, Arkady said:

I am wondering what level of domestic business PP can do in Thailand. The number of times I have seen a Thai online merchant accepting PP can be counted on the fingers of mutilated hand. Thai SME vendors also hardly ever accept credit or debit cards.  Everyone transfers the money electronically and sends the slip by LINE. Not protection for scammed buyers but great for vendors with no fees or charge backs. 

For e-commerce I would guess that PP has only been used by Thais and foreigners who have credit cards and buy stuff from overseas vendors.  A very small percentage of Thais do this and a large percentage of foreign residents for obvious reasons. While they were offshore, you couldn't link to a Thai bank account. So it was limited to credit cards.  Coming onshore and being able to link to Thai bank accounts, I guess they hope they will be able to penetrate the domestic market.  But it does seem a very long shot.

Anyway the share price has been telling us that PP has been going down the tubes for a while.  The only innovation I can see is their compliance with Thai regulations and coming onshore but this is negative as far as I can see. Their market niche for me was largely that they were offshore and not part of the Thai nanny state regulatory environment.

Yes I agree the Paypal business model they are offering in Thailand be attractive for Thai's to adopt as there are already very good payment options available.

18 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

The usual definition of a bank is a financial institution that accepts deposits and makes loans. I'm not sure Paypal fits this definition. I think it is a money transfer service

PayPal (Thailand) Limited, the holder of an Electronic Money Service License (License No. Bor(2) 022/2561),

an Authorized Electronic Money Business Operator License (FX e-Money License) (License No. FE12564001),

a Payment Facilitating Service License (License No. Bor(3.2) 025/2561)

and an Electronic Fund Transfer Service License (License No. Bor(4) 051/2561).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Caldera said:

No Thai financial service company has ever expected me (being a foreigner) to use NDID, understanding that only Thai citizens are able to do so. They've all provided alternative means of ID verification for foreigners. Which is why I see PayPal at fault here, not the Thai authorities. 

Just why PayPal can't or won't do the same is anyone's guess.

"I see PayPal at fault here, not the Thai authorities ... why PayPal can't or won't do the same is anyone's guess."

PP has to follow the government regulations, perhaps PP wasn't given any other option.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, fdsa said:

does Paypal require to prove your residence address by showing them an electricity bill or bank account statement? I don't remember because I've registered many years ago.

Maybe a solution could be registering a new account in Paypal Singapore using a random address from Google Maps and then attaching your Thai credit card.

The first thing that PP requires for a new account is a Singapore phone number, then it would require details of your Singapore bank account.  Once the new PP account is set up that way, I believe you can request that another country's bank card details can be added.

13 hours ago, monkfish said:

It will probably work with any 13 digit number until they check it.

That doesn't work (unless the guess miraculously coincides with a real ID number, I suppose, but that might open a real can of identity theft worms), I tried a random number yesterday before I closed my PP account.

11 hours ago, Arkady said:

While they were offshore, you couldn't link to a Thai bank account. So it was limited to credit cards.  Coming onshore and being able to link to Thai bank accounts, I guess they hope they will be able to penetrate the domestic market.

"...you couldn't link to a Thai bank account. So it was limited to credit cards".

Really?  The PayPal account that I've had here for years has only ever been linked to my local banks' debit cards.

29 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Presumably, if it was something that PP could easily do, they'd do it.  The government regs are what's stopping PP offering an alternative to Non-Thais.

Could be but they are under the same regulation as other financial companies I think it's probably just the simplest solution for them. When I registered for a Bitkub account they requested a copy of my Passport and a selfie with the Passport done Realtime with their phone APP so no way to fake plus utility bill. They don't use NDID I presume because they don't want to exclude foreigners and that's a Thai company.

Edited by monkfish

PayPal was great to sell stuff from Chatuchak on Ebay say 15++ years ago

PayPal was just fine as a payment processor for many e-commerce sites (shops) selling small items (about $7 to $199) wolrdwide 

PayPal was not so great with frequent charge backs, the way they handled

PayPal was awful with their support outsourced from Bangladesh to Philippines

I think PayPal times are over - they didn't come up with any new ideas, yet PayPal (Thailand) is just hilariously funny.

16 hours ago, skraach said:

You can enter any 13-digit number as your Thai ID number, but the problem will come later when you have to verify that number at the bank before 30 November 2022.

just in case you didn't know.... my Thai ID card is registered at my bank for the past 8 years and the bank account is/has been linked to pay pal as well

I stopped using PP to receive payments years ago, their rip off charges are well behind other transfer companies like Payoneer and Wise, however, I need a PP account to pay for domain services, servers and VPS in Europe, the alternative is bitcoin wallet, which I don't have. 

Has anyone applied for the NDID for their Thai partner yet? The hosting companies aren't fussy who they take their money from but I need to get an account logged pretty soon, I have already had to do a lot of work over the past couple of months, making backups of backups should I not be able to process a payment, its a right pain in the ___ already.

16 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

just in case you didn't know.... my Thai ID card is registered at my bank for the past 8 years and the bank account is/has been linked to pay pal as well

What color is your Thai ID card?

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"I see PayPal at fault here, not the Thai authorities ... why PayPal can't or won't do the same is anyone's guess."

PP has to follow the government regulations, perhaps PP wasn't given any other option.

That's nonsense, considering how many other Thai financial services companies I've been using as a foreigner. Sure, sone of them have required an additional round of KYC when regulations have changed, but none of them have ever closed my account for failure to use NDID.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

But can you use your pink ID card to sign up for the NDID service National Digital Identity?
According to info I have read they only accept Thai ID's

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

Simpler than that. does it have a chip in it ? the answer unless a Thai citizen is no.

Agree. I spent over an hour at my bank with two officers trying to help me register for an NDID number.

They could not process my pink card without the chip. They then called both PayPal Thailand and the NDID company whom I also talked to. Pink cards are not accepted and they will only accept natural Thai citizens at this point. That could mean no naturalized citizens.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Caldera said:

That's nonsense, considering how many other Thai financial services companies I've been using as a foreigner. Sure, sone of them have required an additional round of KYC when regulations have changed, but none of them have ever closed my account for failure to use NDID.

It wasn't "nonsense", I wrote "perhaps".

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, monkfish said:

Could be but they are under the same regulation as other financial companies I think it's probably just the simplest solution for them. When I registered for a Bitkub account they requested a copy of my Passport and a selfie with the Passport done Realtime with their phone APP so no way to fake plus utility bill. They don't use NDID I presume because they don't want to exclude foreigners and that's a Thai company.

"They don't use NDID I presume because they don't want to exclude foreigners and that's a Thai company".

PayPal Thailand is a Thai company, also.

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Presumably, if it was something that PP could easily do, they'd do it.  The government regs are what's stopping PP offering an alternative to Non-Thais.

Yes, that has been my point throughout this topic.

1 minute ago, rabas said:

NDID is new. You can call the Paypal regional office in the Philippines, who is overseeing this. They will tell you all of the new requirements are coming from the Thai authorities, including the NDID.

The Thailand office will tell you the same also but some  Thaivisa posters just want to bash PayPal, irrationally, for something that's out of PP's hands, for some reason.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The Thailand office will tell you the same also but some  Thaivisa posters just want to bash PayPal, irrationally, for something that's out of PP's hands, for some reason.

If it's so then Paypal should offer an explanation and not just say they are closing our accounts End Off sorry good bye after 10 years. Are Thai authorities forcing NDID on PayPal but not other financial companies no others are forced to use NDID for example Bitcub don't use NDID??

Edited by monkfish

17 minutes ago, rabas said:

NDID is new. You can call the Paypal regional office in the Philippines, who is overseeing this. They will tell you all of the new requirements are coming from the Thai authorities, including the NDID.

I have talked to some Paypal reps who were near tears because of what the Thai authorities were doing.

I don't believe any other financial institutions are being forced to use NDID if they are being singled out then they could take legal action.
I don't believe Papal reps would cry over it they just say sorry goodbye.

PayPal may have had other ways to perform KYC, but perhaps none were within its capabilities or made financial sense for the relatively small amount of revenue it would generate. It could also be the case that the Thai government mandated the current procedure.

PayPal may have been an outlier as it is on-shoring almost all of its Thai accounts and possibly has issues that other, more established financial service providers won't have. But I suspect PayPal won't be the only company that causes us stress as the NDID scheme is rolled out.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Tried that, it doesn't work.

I've entered all zeros and it got accepted

1 hour ago, recom273 said:

I stopped using PP to receive payments years ago, their rip off charges are well behind other transfer companies like Payoneer and Wise, however, I need a PP account to pay for domain services, servers and VPS in Europe, the alternative is bitcoin wallet, which I don't have. 

what about paying with credit card? you could just make a new card and keep a minimal amount required to pay for your stuff.

6 minutes ago, fdsa said:

what about paying with credit card? you could just make a new card and keep a minimal amount required to pay for your stuff.

Unless doing some domain-trading stuff when he needs to buy expired domains immediately, I simply paid hosting for whole year as well for domains. Unfortunately there're good hosting companies who accept either PayPal or credit cards through PayPal, although their WHMC panel has crypto option.