Thainess - What Is It?

Neeranam

On 10/15/2022 at 6:20 AM, Neeranam said:

Fair points, but I would argue that, as a teacher, I can instruct others, esp foreigners, about what it is. 

It is interesting, I wonder if other countries have a similar thing taught at school. 

On a forum that generally bashes Thais, I guess it is no surprise that many view it as negative. 

Thainess is anything but negative. It is the reason I have made many sacrifices to live here. Thainess is the essence of Thailand. It is precious and be experienced anywhere at any time.

• Love It 1

23 minutes ago, d4dang said:

Thainess is anything but negative. It is the reason I have made many sacrifices to live here. Thainess is the essence of Thailand. It is precious and be experienced anywhere at any time.

I think all of us here made sacrifices to live here but some of the older, cantankerous ones forget.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2022 at 10:36 PM, Sparktrader said:

Only happened once to me in pharmacy

happened to me at a massage parlour in Maha Chai. Farung big nong chai dek tum garn nuk krup 500 Baht. My Thai work crew 300Baht each. The extra 200 Baht made me a hit.

3 hours ago, Orinoco said:

Wat !!!!!!!!!!!! :giggle:

Don't do that, spend the money on Beer Chang

it makes more sense, and the benefits are obvious.

Ps The thread is starting to look like the,

Do you believe in God thread. :coffee1:

Making merit is a huge part of Thainess, it fits way better than whinging about the price of things for foreigners,

Spirit houses, children becoming a monk spending a week in the temple making merit for dead relatives, showing compassion, Thainess, in its own way, respecting the dead, making merit for the next life, yet having a live for today attitude ???? Thainess a bit of a conundrum 

• Love It 1

2 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Making merit is a huge part of Thainess, it fits way better than whinging about the price of things for foreigners,

Spirit houses, children becoming a monk spending a week in the temple making merit for dead relatives, showing compassion, Thainess, in its own way, respecting the dead, making merit for the next life, yet having a live for today attitude ???? Thainess a bit of a conundrum 

Looks more like your the one,  doing the whinging in your posts.

34 minutes ago, d4dang said:

On 10/15/2022 at 6:55 AM, Iamfalang said:

A couple years before COVID when I was 'teaching,' I heard HUNDREDS of kids (High School) using the F-word in class.   Some of these kids are 18, they understand.  Fortunately for them, I didn't care and would just give them a look and shake my head.   I wouldn't hear it again from that class for a few weeks.   To them, it's comical.   <deleted>...hahahahhaha.    I even saw a kid and a TEACHER with the F-word on their shirt.   Is it rude?  Not to me, I don't care, it's not my country.

If a falang did any of the above (teacher or not) ........................worst....................falang.........................ever.   

We can choose to disagree, I don't think I've ever met a Thai who found the F-word highly insulting.  

I was on the BTS and a Thai girl about 14 was wearing a T shirt '<deleted> = Fun' she was with her mother

23 hours ago, retiree said:

Where is the Thai source of this definition?    Parts of your translation do not make sense, e.g.

By Group method thought process. operating process,  Process face circumstances  [sic]

I can't find it, it was a few years ago. The language the MoE use is unlike that you'll see elsewhere in Thailand, very 'up their own <deleted>', as we say in Scotland, and using big words when not necessary -  difficult to translate.

Here's another part I translated, as an example" - 

แนวทางการจัดการเรียนรู้รายวิชาเพิ่มเติมหน้าที่พลเมือง
ความนำ
การศึกษาของประเทศไทยให้ความสำคัญกับการพัฒนาคุณภาพของเด็กไทย โดยสะท้อนจากพัฒนาการจัด
การศึกษาอย่างต่อเนื่อง กระทรวงศึกษาธิการเห็นความสำคัญของการปฏิรูปการศึกษาเพื่อให้นำไปสู่การปฏิบัติ
ที่ชัดเจนยิ่งขึ้น โดยเฉพาะการปฏิรูปครู ปฏิรูปโรงเรียน และปฏิรูประบบบริหารจัดการศึกษา ทั้งนี้ ในประเด็นของ
หลักสูตรได้เน้นการพัฒนาหลักสูตร การเรียนการสอน และการบริหารจัดการ เพื่อให้คนรุ่นใหม่เกิดกระบวนการคิด
อย่างมีระบบ และแก้ปัญหาอย่างเป็นเหตุเป็นผล รวมทั้งการพัฒนาคุณธรรมจริยธรรม การสร้างระเบียบวินัย
การมีจิตสำนึกความรับผิดชอบต่อสังคม การยึดมั่นในสถาบันชาติ ศาสนา พระมหากษัตริย์ และความภาคภูมิใจ
ในการเป็นคนไทย ซึ่งจะนำไปสู่การพัฒนาและยกระดับคุณภาพของสังคมไทยในอนาคต แนวคิดดังกล่าวคือ
การพัฒนาความเป็นพลเมืองไทย และพลเมืองโลก ในระบอบประชาธิปไตยอันมีพระมหากษัตริย์ทรงเป็นประมุข
ซึ่งเป็นวิสัยทัศน์ของหลักสูตรแกนกลางการศึกษาขั้นพื้นฐาน พุทธศักราช ๒๕๕๑ นอกจากนี้ ในการจัดการศึกษา
ของโลก มีแนวโน้มเกิดการเปลี่ยนแปลงในมิติด้านเนื้อหาและการเรียนรู้ เช่น การส่งเสริมการพัฒนาด้านทักษะ
การรู้เท่าทัน ทักษะชีวิต (Life Skills) การบูรณาการในลักษณะสหวิทยาการ รวมทั้งมีการเน้นวิชาการศึกษา
เพื่อความเป็นพลเมือง (Citizenship Education)
กอปรกับในขณะนี้มีนโยบายด้านการเรียนการสอนวิชาประวัติศาสตร์และหน้าที่พลเมืองของคณะรักษา
ความสงบเรียบร้อยแห่งชาติ (คสช.) ที่ส่งเสริมให้เด็กและเยาวชนในชาติได้มีความรู้ความเข้าใจในเรื่อง
ประวัติศาสตร์ ความเป็นไทย รักชาติ ศาสนา และเทิดทูนสถาบันพระมหากษัตริย์ และเป็นพลเมืองดีในระบอบ
ประชาธิปไตยอันมีพระมหากษัตริย์ทรงเป็นประมุข มีความปรองดองสมานฉันท์ เพื่อสันติสุขในสังคมไทย และ
กำหนดค่านิยมหลัก ๑๒ ประการ เพื่อสร้างคนไทยที่เข้มแข็งนำไปสู่การสร้างสรรค์ประเทศไทยให้เข้มแข็ง ดังนี้
๑. มีความรักชาติ ศาสนา พระมหากษัตริย์ ซึ่งเป็นสถาบันหลักของชาติในปัจจุบัน
๒. ซื่อสัตย์ เสียสละ อดทน มีอุดมการณ์ในสิ่งที่ดีงามเพื่อส่วนรวม
๓. กตัญญูต่อพ่อแม่ ผู้ปกครอง ครูบาอาจารย์
๔. ใฝ่หาความรู้ หมั่นศึกษาเล่าเรียนทางตรงและทางอ้อม
๕. รักษาวัฒนธรรมไทย ประเพณีไทยอันงดงาม
๖. มีศีลธรรม รักษาความสัตย์ หวังดีต่อผู้อื่น เผื่อแผ่และแบ่งปัน
๗. เข้าใจ เรียนรู้ การเป็นประชาธิปไตยอันมีพระมหากษัตริย์ทรงเป็นประมุขที่ถูกต้อง
๘. มีระเบียบวินัยเคารพกฎหมาย ผู้น้อยรู้จักเคารพผู้ใหญ่
๙. มีสติรู้ตัว รู้คิด รู้ทำ รู้ปฏิบัติ ตามพระราชดำรัสของพระบาทสมเด็จพระเจ้าอยู่หัว
๑๐. รู้จักดำรงตนอยู่โดยใช้หลักปรัชญาเศรษฐกิจพอเพียงตามพระราชดำรัสของพระบาทสมเด็จ
พระเจ้าอยู่หัว รู้จักอดออมไว้ใช้เมื่อยามจำเป็น มีไว้พอกินพอใช้ ถ้าเหลือก็แจกจ่าย จำหน่าย และขยายกิจการ
เมื่อมีความพร้อมโดยมีภูมิคุ้มกันที่ดี
๑๑. มีความเข้มแข็งทั้งร่างกายและจิตใจ ไม่ยอมแพ้ต่ออำนาจฝ่ายต่ำ หรือกิเลส มีความละอายเกรงกลัว
ต่อบาปตามหลักของศาสนา
๑๒. คำนึงถึงผลประโยชน์ของส่วนรวมและต่อชาติมากกว่าผลประโยชน์ของตนเอง

สำนักงานคณะกรรมการการศึกษาขั้นพื้นฐาน ตระหนักถึงความสำคัญของการพัฒนาการศึกษาไทย
ในประเด็นของการพัฒนาการเรียนการสอนหน้าที่พลเมืองในฐานะที่เป็นกลไกสำคัญในการเตรียมพลเมือง
ของชาติไปสู่การเป็นพลเมืองดีที่มีประสิทธิภาพ นอกจากจะมีการกำหนดสาระหน้าที่พลเมือง วัฒนธรรม และ
การดำเนินชีวิตในสังคม ในกลุ่มสาระการเรียนรู้สังคมศึกษา ศาสนา และวัฒนธรรม แล้ว และเพื่อพัฒนาผู้เรียน
ให้มีความรู้ ทักษะ เจตคติ และคุณลักษณะอันพึงประสงค์ สอดคล้องกับนโยบายการพัฒนาการเรียน
การสอนหน้าที่พลเมือง และค่านิยมหลัก ๑๒ ประการ จึงนำมาสู่การกำหนดรายวิชาเพิ่มเติมหน้าที่พลเมือง
โดยเน้นการพัฒนาผู้เรียน ในเรื่อง ความเป็นไทย รักชาติ ยึดมั่นในศาสนา และเทิดทูนสถาบันพระมหากษัตริย์
ความเป็นพลเมืองดีในระบอบประชาธิปไตยอันมีพระมหากษัตริย์ทรงเป็นประมุข ความปรองดอง สมานฉันท์ และ
ความมีวินัยในตนเอง เพื่อให้สถานศึกษานำไปจัดเป็นรายวิชาเพิ่มเติมในหลักสูตรสถานศึกษาตามกรอบความคิด
ในการพัฒนารายวิชาเพิ่มเติมหน้าที่พลเมืองได้อย่างมีประสิทธิภาพ

Guidelines of Learning Management for Additional Civics

Introduction

Thailand’s education system stresses the importance of improving the qualities of Thai students, which is reflected by the ongoing development of educational management. The Ministry of Education sees how important it is to reform the educational  system  in order to bring about clarity, especially in the reformation of teachers, schools and educational administrators. For that purpose, the issue focuses on curriculum development, instruction and management to make the new generation think systematically with reason, as well as moral and ethical development, having a sense of social responsibility.  Also, adhering to the national institutions of monarchy and religion, having pride in being Thai, which will improve the quality of Thai society in the future. This concept is for the development of Thai people and citizens all over the world.  To be  a democracy, with the King as Head of State is the vision of the core curriculum of basic education, B.E 2551(2008). Besides this, the education of the world is likely to change in the content and learning dimensions, such as promoting the development of skills (Life Skills) and integration in an interdisciplinary manner, with an emphasis on education.  Also at this stage, in the educational field of history and civics, it’s a strategy of the National Council for Peace and Order, (NCPO) to encourage Thai children and juveniles to have a better understanding of the country’s history, Thainess, patriotism, religion, and reverence for the Monarchy – to be upstanding citizens in a Constitutional Monarchy, with  the King as head of state.  Also, to have harmony and reconciliation to promote tranquility in Thai society. The NCPO stipulates the following 12 core values for Thai people to vigorously spearhead  Thailand’s regeneration.

1. Upholding of the three main pillars: the Nation, the Religion, and the Monarchy;

2. Honesty, sacrifice, and patience with positive attitude for the interest of the public;

3. Filial piety towards parents, guardians and teachers;

4. Seeking of direct and indirect knowledge and education;

5. Preservation of Thai traditions and cultures;

6. Morality, integrity, considerateness, generosity, and sharing;

7. Understanding and learning of true democratic ideals with His Majesty the King as Head of State;

8. Maintaining of discipline, respectfulness of laws and the elderly;

9. Being conscious and mindful of action in line with His Majesty’s the King’s royal statements;

10. Applying His Majesty the King’s Sufficiency Economy, saving money for time of need, being moderate with surplus for sharing or expansion of business while having good immunity;

11. Keeping physical and mental strength, unyielding to the evil power or desires, having sense of shame over guilt and sins in accordance with the religious principles;

12. Putting the public and national interest before one’s own.

The Office of Basic Education Commission is aware of the importance of the development of teaching civics in the development of Thai education as an important mechanism for the citizens. Culture and daily life in society , in essence learning social studies, religion and culture, and to develop the learners’  knowledge, skills, attitudes, and features consistent with  learning development policy  - teaching civic duties and 12 core values, and secondly, to assign additional duties of a citizen. With an emphasis on developing  patriotic Thais, adhering to religious ideals and being an upstanding citizen in a democracy, with the King as head of State. This is a  roadmap for solidarity and self-discipline, promoting responsible citizens with more academic subjects in the school curriculum, in accordance with the framework of thought in this development ,  to serve citizens more effectively.

Edited by Neeranam

14 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

Looks more like your the one,  doing the whinging in your posts.

Not at all just pointing out a more appropriate view of Thainess 

How about Thai being so fond of children, yet there remains patches of corporal punishment in schools and in the home that given the Thainess conundrum is accepted?

Not critical just the observation of an inquisitive mind

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 473geo said:

I have seen no evidence in my life that has persuaded me that afterlife exists, that is why I think the way I do 

Thai people may read life experiences differently that is their choice happy to respect their faith in the future 

I have, when I met the Dalai Lama in India. I remember vividly a senior Lama laughing for ages when he was told many Westerners don't believe in reincarnation. 

7 minutes ago, d4dang said:

I was on the BTS and a Thai girl about 14 was wearing a T shirt '<deleted> = Fun' she was with her mother

I never know if these type of T shirts are worn by 'rebels' for the fun of it or are misunderstood ???? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sungod said:

Absolute rubbish..........top tip for arguing, dont make it up.

How would I have a chip on my shoulder for being a foreigner? You are what you are.

Or Is it because I dont desire to be a 'pretend Thai' such as you do?

I'm not arguing with you. People like you have made this forum a shadow of its former glory 15 -20 years ago. 

You have said the dual pricing is a racial thing, which obviously it is not as I get in to things for the local price, and am a 6'4" Scotsman. Goodbye. 

6 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I have, when I met the Dalai Lama in India. I remember vividly a senior Lama laughing for ages when he was told many Westerners don't believe in reincarnation. 

What did you expect? He has not travelled in my shoes, and I like surprises ????

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I'm not arguing with you. People like you have made this forum a shadow of its former glory 15 -20 years ago. 

You have said the dual pricing is a racial thing, which obviously it is not as I get in to things for the local price, and am a 6'4" Scotsman. Goodbye. 

Twisting words again, cant remember saying it was racial. If you dont want to argue then best not reply!

I too get the local price on occasion, but dual pricing is very much a reality here, so much there is a website devoted to it!

Keep living in your dream world......

27 minutes ago, 473geo said:

I never know if these type of T shirts are worn by 'rebels' for the fun of it or are misunderstood ???? 

Used to see many wearing a Scots band called the Exploited's t-shirts, with "f8ck off w8nker" on them