Thainess - What Is It?

Neeranam

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Thainess:

The ability to queue at a government hospital for hours without rioting.

The ability to give incorrect directions about two-thirds of the time.

The ability to tell anyone what the interlocutor thinks they want to hear.

The ability to sleep at any time in any body position without benefit of a bed.

The ability to have extraordinary physical flexibility,  even obese or elderly Thais

The ability to consume food over four or five hours.

The ability to converse with a friend for a similar period.

The ability to lie convincingly, and be unembarrassed when caught out.

The ability to be Olympic - class fence-sitters.

The ability to regard the most abjectly incompetent driving of vehicles as perfectly normal.

Point 6 and 8 spot on lol.........

• Like 1

Thainess: there are million way to describe Thainess the basics are is who they perceived each other in their eyes and how they treat each other accordingly and therefore, and as many Thais there ate so are the interpretations of the word Thaines...

Edited by ezzra

52 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Thainess:

The ability to queue at a government hospital for hours without rioting.

The ability to give incorrect directions about two-thirds of the time.

The ability to tell anyone what the interlocutor thinks they want to hear.

The ability to sleep at any time in any body position without benefit of a bed.

The ability to have extraordinary physical flexibility,  even obese or elderly Thais

The ability to consume food over four or five hours.

The ability to converse with a friend for a similar period.

The ability to lie convincingly, and be unembarrassed when caught out.

The ability to be Olympic - class fence-sitters.

The ability to regard the most abjectly incompetent driving of vehicles as perfectly normal.

Nice summary

Plus cook nice food

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Nice summary

Plus cook nice food

Yes and no. I once bought 5 kg of beef for a village party, quite expensive.

By the time a cousin of my GF had finished making a stew, the liquid part of the stew could have doubled as paint stripper.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Try 6 hours, I am a witness. I have also had two Thai women go into a secondhand shop for 4 hours, and come out without buying anything. According to them, they had a wonderful time.

well that wasn't my wife, she can't go into any shop without buying something

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Iamfalang said:

Let's meet for coffee at 11:30 a.m. at the coffee shop ONE minute from your place. OK?

OK.

Sure, 11:30?

Sure.

11:30 a.m., OK!!!

OK

It's now 12:15 and you send your 3rd text, Where are you?

Leaving now.

Thainess

Well same same, you should get to know Thai time, if you want to meet at 10am it means anywhere between 10am and 11am. ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Or another version:

Thainess or the Thai identity (Thai: ความเป็นไทย, RTGS: khwam pen thai) is a conceptual identity regarding the quality of being Thai, i.e. characteristics seen as distinctive to the Thai people, their culture, and those belonging to Thailand as a whole. It forms the central identity upon which discourses on Thai nationalism have been constructed, with main contributors including King Vajiravudh (Rama VI) during his reign from 1910 to 1925 and Luang Wichitwathakan during the early post-absolute monarchy period (after 1932). Though poorly defined, it is often expressed as devotion to the three pillars of "nation, religion, king", a concept first popularized by Vajiravudh. It was used as a tool by both the absolute monarchy and the People's Party governments to build political hegemony over the country through the process of Thaification, as well as in the anti-communist effort during the 1960s–1970s. It has also become a form of promotional representation by which images of the country are presented to international visitors, especially from the late 20th century. The concept has continued to evolve in various directions, and has been increasingly questioned by scholars since the 1990s and into the 21st century.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thainess

Interesting.  Seems to position "Thainess" as an ideal for people to measure up to, whereas I would say that foreigners generally consider Thainess to be more about how people behave.

Perhaps there are two meanings to the word "Thainess".  A prescriptive version and a descriptive version.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hummin said:

The quality to be polite no matter how rude the other person is.

A policeman using two hours calming down a drunk swearing punching tourist, and try not to harm hi m in any way.

The quality to make a smile even they hurt or are insecure

The quality to work hard for small money

and much more

I'm not sure I can agree with the first sentence, I've seen Thais do some very rude things to others, depending on where they think they are in the social spectrum.

The last two sentences, completely agree.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Thainess isn't necessarily what you (or whomever wrote that for you) think or claim it is.  It can be negative or positive, depending on how you encounter it, what effect it had on you, or what your opinion of it is.

Fair point.

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 1