MG Extender Grand X 4 door auto

superal

I have been viewing the above at on line adverts . The MG offers all the similar spec that the more expensive Toyota / Isuzu equivalents . Any of our members own the MG Extender and if so what are your opinions of the pick up ?  Secondhand they are very much cheaper than others of the similar spec .   Also come with a 4 year warranty or 120,000 km . Interested to hear owners views .

33 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Thanks for the links but there were so many irrelevant comments that went off topic . I think we are all aware that the Chinese bought the MG badge to try to connect with western buyers who will be familiar with that maker . That is the reason for my post which is asking if there are current owners of the MG Extender and if so , their opinions . Not seeking opinions from those of yesterdays MGB/C etc nor those who may have a dislike of anything made in China cos they can start their own topics .

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, superal said:

Thanks for the links but there were so many irrelevant comments that went off topic . I think we are all aware that the Chinese bought the MG badge to try to connect with western buyers who will be familiar with that maker . That is the reason for my post which is asking if there are current owners of the MG Extender and if so , their opinions . Not seeking opinions from those of yesterdays MGB/C etc nor those who may have a dislike of anything made in China cos they can start their own topics .

good luck with that, i have a mg zs 6 months old, very good so far, except for the original front screen film blocking the easy pass gizmo, and the cars satellite link, sorted after 3 different mg centres visited, keeping my fingers crossed reliability wise, 

the mg haters will be along soon

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

MG is a brand of SAIC. Much/most of the technology used by SAIC is derived from GM - mostly the old GM Europe (Opel) and most chassis and drivetrain is designed/developed by European subcontractors and manufactured in China.

China does not have the engineering design capacity or IPR ownership to produce internationally competitive vehicles, so most of their cars sold in export markets make extensive use of components with foreign IP, and made under licence in China.

The MG Extender is a rebadged Maxus T70 (itself an updated T60) also sold with an LDV badge in certain markets (Aus/UK). 

The 2.0 Diesel is a re-worked GM/Opel unit and the petrol is the GM/Opel LGE engine.  

SAIC use a variety of transmissions. I believe the manuals are a Hyundai TRANSYS design and the autos come from Aisin, Bosch (CVT) or Punch.  I think the 6-speed auto in the Extender Diesel is a Punch unit made in China (Punch are a Belgium-based powertrain company).  EPAS is a TRW design I believe.

No idea how good they will prove in the long term.  Speaking personally it would be Toyota every time for me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, HauptmannUK said:

MG is a brand of SAIC. Much/most of the technology used by SAIC is derived from GM - mostly the old GM Europe (Opel) and most chassis and drivetrain is designed/developed by European subcontractors and manufactured in China.

China does not have the engineering design capacity or IPR ownership to produce internationally competitive vehicles, so most of their cars sold in export markets make extensive use of components with foreign IP, and made under licence in China.

The MG Extender is a rebadged Maxus T70 (itself an updated T60) also sold with an LDV badge in certain markets (Aus/UK). 

The 2.0 Diesel is a re-worked GM/Opel unit and the petrol is the GM/Opel LGE engine.  

SAIC use a variety of transmissions. I believe the manuals are a Hyundai TRANSYS design and the autos come from Aisin, Bosch (CVT) or Punch.  I think the 6-speed auto in the Extender Diesel is a Punch unit made in China (Punch are a Belgium-based powertrain company).  EPAS is a TRW design I believe.

No idea how good they will prove in the long term.  Speaking personally it would be Toyota every time for me.

If price come into it I don't go with along with all the car/truck nobbery.

The Maxus has good reviews in Oz by all accounts.

4 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

If price come into it I don't go with along with all the car/truck nobbery.

The Maxus has good reviews in Oz by all accounts.

No snobbery implied at all. I am just stating the origins of the vehicle.  

I have been professionally  involved in the automotive industry for a long time and back in the UK we also have a medium sized family business selling and servicing cars. As things stand right now I would be much more confident in selling a customer a used Toyota product than a used MG product.  Simply because we know from experience that if we sell a used Toyota, Lexus, Honda, Suzuki, we rarely have the customer coming back with complaints and repair costs will be minimal.  Some brands we basically no longer sell or repair (JLR) because its more hassle than its worth.  At the moment we don't really know where MG will sit because their current model range is too new and most vehicles still being looked after within the MG network. Residual values (in the UK) are not great, which is a concern.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HauptmannUK said:

No snobbery implied at all. I am just stating the origins of the vehicle.  

I have been professionally  involved in the automotive industry for a long time and back in the UK we also have a medium sized family business selling and servicing cars. As things stand right now I would be much more confident in selling a customer a used Toyota product than a used MG product.  Simply because we know from experience that if we sell a used Toyota, Lexus, Honda, Suzuki, we rarely have the customer coming back with complaints and repair costs will be minimal.  Some brands we basically no longer sell or repair (JLR) because its more hassle than its worth.  At the moment we don't really know where MG will sit because their current model range is too new and most vehicles still being looked after within the MG network. Residual values (in the UK) are not great, which is a concern.

Fair call,  I'm not in the market anymore and keeping my truck but if MG had been around at the time with the new labeled Maxus for Thailand I could save myself nearly  100,000 baht on the equivalent model so I would have given it a try. 

• Like 2