How much do the average Thai person earn ?

Baron Samedi

7 hours ago, Baron Samedi said:

I've been trying to find relevant data about who earns how much in Thailand.

Couldn't find anything detailed enough to be interesting / relevant.

Ridiculous post and completely irrelevant.

Only a foreigner would think that earnings are related to class.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, gomangosteen said:

All that's cone out of this is that we collectively have nfi about the earnings nationwide. As I detailed in last week's thread on the same topic, how to factor in annual bonuses and allowances. My partner's company paid senior staff bonus in gold this year, won't show in any 'average' calculation.

These are the Bank of Thailand average nationwide wage earnings by category as at 30 September 2022, based upon wage deposits coded to employment classification.

Not broken down by region, or 'class' of employee. 

Pointless comparing to averages in other countries; Thai rates, Thai tax (low), Thai economy (my own example I was on contract in NZ May-Aug this year, 38% tax plus superannuation contribution plus insurances etc I came out with about half)

BoT September 2022

Legislator, senior officials and managers    31,449.56  
Professionals    28,022.56 
Technicians and associate professionals 22,534.11
Clerks 15,813.31
Service workers, shop and market sales workers 12,178.29
Skilled agricultural and fishery workers  7,006.48 
Craftsmen and related trades workers  12,136.87 
Plant and machine operators and assemblers    12,213.89
Elementary occupations    8,629.69 
Workers not included elsewhere    20,108.53

Less than 6% of the population pay taxes via the equivalent to PAYE, tax deducted at source, The Revenue is desperately trying to expand this tax net. The BOT figures only reflect earnings of workers where tax is paid at source, that means the other 94% of the population are not included, hence the category of "workers not included elsewhere of 20 mill". The Thai workforce is about 26 million people.

• Thumbs Up 1

What's average ?

You also can't judge by govt stats of medium income.   Through the top 1-5-20% earnings in with the bottom 50% earners skews any results.

Just like everywhere, minimum wage jobs and not careers, and should be stepping stones to bettering your financial position in the future.

Flipping burgers or cashier at 7-11 aren't career moves unless going into management of.

People's incomes are what the make of themselves.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Do they get free food? Have to factor that in. Three meals a day. Must be worth 90 baht a day?

The ladies in our local Big C food hall all seem to be happy souls. Big money don't always make you happy.

I buy my chicken-foot soup from one stall. Three big bags of soup for 40 baht. That does me for six meals.

I guess they do get free food and She likes her Big'C' job her husband works away a lot and earns good money and he pays all the household bills so it's pocket money and company for her. 

Many don't work in our village and get money from the govt, have 2 brother in-laws and a sister in-law who do nowt because they get money from the govt.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Thai Labour Court is very strict on employers.

That friend will hit pay dirt when she leaves and goes after the (ex)employer.

Dunno also 7-11 workers and intern nurses are on peanut wages so I don't know where your going with bringing the law into the Thai work situation, if my Mrs don't get any customers the 2 that work with her only get food no money, they understand that. 

11 minutes ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

I concur with most of the figures here. A vast number of Thais make the minimum 7-11 salary of 9k baht a month. A secretary at one of my former schools made this. A primary school teacher in my village makes this. Members of my extended fam in the BKK service industry make this.

A vast number of Thais make even less, as said, by selling food in the markets or around the villages. It's why you see many shops selling in bulk, bags of snacks, packs of sausages and meatballs, cases of sodas, and stacks of the cups and lids to serve them in ice with. It's a huge part of their employment base, though shouldn't be, as they ought to be doing more meaningful work, yet it isn't there.

Indeed, most teachers make around 15k, then could move up to 40-50k with seniority. And as discussed in another thread, much of this is subject to corruption. Upon hiring they're informed that the privilege of this sought after govt position comes with a monthly salary cut for the school director. Or it could come upfront, as the 9k teacher in my village wasn't able to find a position, until her dad finally coughed up 100k baht for it to appear.

But, why pay 100k to only get 9k back a month? And why are the teachers often seen with new cars, big houses, and latest iPhones? Ah, that's because the esteemed govt position also comes with an unofficial extra salary, the special govt loans they're allowed to keep taking out, and get into massive debt with.

Spot on,  like I said the threads a can of worms.

My police friend is the rank under a chief of police in his province, road block share outs apart from bars also letting gambling places etc stay open got him to that position.

He is going to retire soon because to get to the chief police position is too expensive. 

3 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Google tell me average wage in USA ,AUS and UK are as follows (converted to baht at todays rate).

USA - 220,000.00

AUS 110,000.00

UK - 170,000.00

Me thinks your claim "the low end of your ridiculous figures are higher than average wage in".

Is not accurate !!

FWIW I have a Thai friend who is very high up in a multinational company based here in Chonburi, he is on 500k+ a month, high earners like that are few and far between but the do skew any "average wage" calculations.

I'd check out median salaries rather than average. It gives a better picture. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BonMot said:

Grads from top universities start at 12k in BKK assuming they can find work at all.

Wife makes about 22.5k central BKK media company. 45hrs week. 3.5 weeks holiday, sick leave, SSO. Pay rise is 750-1250 annum depending on earnings. Bonus is seemingly always 10k.

I think bank managers prolly make about 40k. Teachers 15+ years at good public secondaries under 40k. My guess 711 Bangkok central and many fast food b70 hr

I thought the government introduced a minimum starting salary of 15k for those with a university degree.