How much do the average Thai person earn ?

Baron Samedi

1 minute ago, GarryP said:

I thought the government introduced a minimum starting salary of 15k for those with a university degree. 

Sinario :-

Company interview :- Thankyou for coming to the interview and congrats on your degree for the job we have over 200 applicants and will employ someone who will except 10,000 a month. 

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Dunno also 7-11 workers and intern nurses are on peanut wages so I don't know where your going with bringing the law into the Thai work situation, if my Mrs don't get any customers the 2 that work with her only get food no money, they understand that. 

48hr week.

8hr per day.

Over time paid after 8hr.

Thai labour laws are very specific on this.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ArnieP said:

These are actual people in Udon. Not made up, imagined, or fantasy earnings:

Hospital nurse (Govt) 19,000฿ per month

Bank clerk 19,000฿ per month

7-11 worker 11,000฿ pm (doing 12 hour daily shifts)

Teacher (state school) 15,000฿ per month

It is exactly what friends and prior family members are currently making in Udon.  The ex-BIL's wife who is a dentist makes between 30K-40K a month depending on the extra work she does.  If she was in Bangkok she would be making twice that, and more if she had a dental clinic instead of working in a hospital.

In a country like Thailand (or most of developing Asian countries for that matter) average does not really tell much at all about real income levels - actually the 'average' part of population is likely very small, as very high incomes on top (for small % of population) and very low income on bottom (for large %) arithmetically just averages out somewhere, probably to a number that does not tell much about income distribution at all. Average persons with that measure are few and far in between.

Top that off with substantial percentage of informal income in both ends, let it be corruption income (which is substantial indeed, many times official salary income for quite a few people), prostitution income (which also is substantial for many) etc which is likely not included in official statistics.

Still  many official positions that people fight to get to in some way or another (nepotism often the method) where salary is meaning less - actually people might pay big lumpsum to someone higher up to get the small salary job as the corruption income opportunity that comes with the job is substantial. This was very common also in China when lived there.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 2baht said:

I'm sure some make millions but that is not the average Thai person as asked by the OP.

Was wondering why OP asked for estimates of average salary, which can only get some meaning if presented in conjunction with the median figures.

• Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

48hr week.

8hr per day.

Over time paid after 8hr.

Thai labour laws are very specific on this.

As l would have to keep saying Thai labour laws may well be very specific for some employers but not all. 

I would say if they were enforced then it would get people the sack. 

Many people with there own small  business or are down as self-employed who get people to work for them don't take any notice of labour laws. 

I get my Mrs to employ people to do certain work for me on my farmland and give em 200 baht up to them whether they take it on or how many hours they work. 

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

My knowledge centres around Eastern Thailand (in particular Chonburi and Rayong) but as you have no included that area I'll not reply with numbers.

Doesn't matter. Go ahead ????

10 hours ago, scorecard said:

Google is your friend, get going.

Usually it is but not here.

6 hours ago, gomangosteen said:

The Bank of Thailand provides quarterly statistics https://www.bot.or.th/App/BTWS_STAT/statistics/ReportPage.aspx?reportID=667&language=eng from 2001 to 2022, but any suggestions of breaking down into your classes and regions ... well your being rather fanciful there.

Thanks. Nice stats. Much better than anything else I've come across so far ????

5 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, what are your definitions of lower middle and upper class ?? Home ownership, mortgage, big screen TV ???

The regional thing seems a bit vague as well, a bank manager, teacher, gov employee would get the same amount no matter what their location.

Lower class = agricultural workers, factory workers, street vendors, supermarket employees, security guards, etc...

Middle class = office employees, middle managers, qualified technicians, military officers, small/medium business owners, etc...

Upper class = doctors, lawyers, top managers, big business owners, etc...

Don't mind that location thing if it's annoying you.

It was just a way for me to figure out which parts of the country were superior economically speaking.

4 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

Great article ????

I would have thought that the South would be richer.

Not that much compared to the North/NE really... Surprising.

4 hours ago, Iamfalang said:

Here is the REAL Question:

If I said only 15,000 for a teacher with less than 5 years experience, will you help them?

9000 for 7-11, will you help them?

15000 for business owners because of COVID, will you help them?

I'm not planning to help anybody ????

Too greedy for that...

I do buy a couple of lady drinks to the girls though when I'm having a night out.

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

Ridiculous post and completely irrelevant.

Only a foreigner would think that earnings are related to class.

Yeah well...

Can't say your reply is adding much added value to it.

14 minutes ago, Baron Samedi said:

Lower class = agricultural workers, factory workers, street vendors, supermarket employees, security guards, etc...

Middle class = office employees, middle managers, qualified technicians, military officers, small/medium business owners, etc...

It was just a way for me to figure out which parts of the country were superior economically speaking.

Great article ????

Too greedy for that...

I do buy a couple of lady drinks to the girls though when I'm having a night out.

Yeah well...

Well you can get averages of wages on Google. 

One from memory was a range of 24,000 baht to 440,000 baht a month.

Doing the average doesn't tell you much IMHO.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

I'm sorry but you are completely wrong. The salaries the poster quoted are NOT unusual for roles in Bangkok (and I'm only talking about Bangkok) and I can talk with some authority as I run an executive recruitment company in Bangkok. A list of some of our current jobs that are paying this kind of money (salaries are monthly and in THB) are:-

Data Analyst – Online  - 140-150k
Data Scientist – Finance – 170k
Actuarial Consultant – Insurance – 120-150K
VP Risk Management -Insurance – 150-180k
Head of Finance (Supply Chain) – 300k
ECommerce and Digital Tech Director – 300-400k
VP Production – F&B – 400k
Factory Manager – FMCG – 300k
HR Director – Insurance - 300-400k
Marketing Director – FMCG – 400k
Managing Director – Blockchain – 500-600k
Head of Technology – Blockchain – 300-400k
Chief Commercial Officer – Online – 600k
Head of Corporate Strategy Planning – Securities – 600k

We don't look at roles paying less than 100k (usually a lot more) and currently we have 146 jobs on.

Someone is making good money, because the EVs registered last month, between the MG EP & ZS aren't inexpensive (except Leaf).

image.png.d4477735ae265257895f785a24a6a9cc.png

11 hours ago, scorecard said:

These numbers are not typical, far from it. 

Compared to average foreigners who is a supervisor or working with logistics for factories make 85 - 125k a month. Insurance, flight back home, holidays, and other personal agreements + bonuses. 

2 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Compared to average foreigners who is a supervisor or working with logistics for factories make 85 - 125k a month. Insurance, flight back home, holidays, and other personal agreements + bonuses. 

Is that the information the OP is trying to gather? 

42 minutes ago, Baron Samedi said:

Great article ????

Too greedy for that...

Yeah well...

"Great article ????

Not that much compared to the North/NE really... Surprising".

If you look at the color coded map on the right hand side of the page you'll see that the South is in fact mostly richer than the North. It's not until you compare the NE against the South that you begin to understand why people from Issan flock to the islands for work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Sinario :-

Company interview :- Thankyou for coming to the interview and congrats on your degree for the job we have over 200 applicants and will employ someone who will except 10,000 a month. 

Which is a sore point with young graduates and has been for decades.

I've had many discussions with yount Thai uni students , most have never worked and have little to zero knowledge about contracts of employment and the details therein, etc.

Their instant argument is 'I have (will have) a bachelor degree therefore I should get paid more, regardless of any other considerations, including whether the job is difficult or very simple/needs advanced knowledge or long-term past experience or advanced academid knowlege etc., or needs none of these'.

Bottom line:  I have (will have) a bachelor degree therefore I should get paid more, regardless of any other considerations'.

What's obvious is such discussions is an underlying attitude that people with a degree should get paid more because they have a (perceived) higher status.

Had this discussion many times often heated. Ultimately there is no definative answer so I always forceably changed the subject in the classroom.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

55 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Is that the information the OP is trying to gather? 

Well, maybe somebody would find it interesting as an additional information. 

150 to 300k is not average income either for any thai, and least say for very few. 

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

I concur my Thai son has a bachelor's degree and couldn't find work after leaving Uni and he also wouldn't take a lesser job. 

He was saying going interviews they wanted people with experience ???? which I find is typical shortsighted management.

He did realize after a while what his Uni teacher said to him and that was to set up his own business and put himself about. 

Reluctantly he did just that with someone who studied the same as him who was in the same position in finding work so they set up a partnership company.

He hasn't looked back and has well, working hard still also long hours sometimes but enjoys his work on some productions.

So my 7000 baht a month and some 70,000 baht per year for 4.1/2 years was not in vain. ????

How does somebody get experience if nobody hires them?

1 minute ago, Sparktrader said:

How does somebody get experience if nobody hires them?

Exactly and funny because they hired a college girl looking for a secretary job who couldn't get companies to employ her because she had no experience.