CW extension retirement report.

PS to my first post.

Just thinking about the request from immigration to next year bring bank statements.

The point is being the immigration officer carefully examined the bank book pages and found some groups of months with zero activity. 

If it's a blanket rule that bank statements MUST be required then why not say that straight off the bat. 

Lost in translation. 

More likely they meant show activity every months or you must provide bank statements.

Just more rubbish from immigration. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

PS to my first post.

Just thinking about the request from immigration to next year bring bank statements.

The point is being the immigration officer carefully examined the bank book pages and found some groups of months with zero activity. 

If it's a blanket rule that bank statements MUST be required then why not say that straight off the bat. 

Lost in translation. 

More likely they meant show activity every months or you must provide bank statements.

Just more rubbish from immigration. 

Keep the 800k in a dedicated account and there won't be any activity, unless you have a fixed account adding interest semi-annually.

Stop by the bank every 60-90 days or so and get the passbook updated.   Of course there is no additional activity, since this account is solely for immigration, but you have entries showing balance unchanged.

Next extension, bring your other savings account passbook(s) to show activity.

7 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Last time the IO asked me for bank statement (fixed account ????????) then sent me to the next desk, next desk IO asked me for older book (I did not have it with me) even though the book showed 3 years record. My guess is some transferred IOs or just trying to be more kind to retirees ????????????

Edited by The Theory

I use BBL at CW and this year it was faster than ever,  less than 10 minutes. Never 40 minutes. 

IO never asked to see activities (fixed deposit account for immi).

This year, the bank offered me 2 kinds of letters: one, only the statement, same as every year.  Another one,  all activities (in my case, no activities). Both cost 100 or 200, I forgot.  I was like, "which one is better???" and took both.

When IO saw both letters,  she was like, "which one is better???" and decided she liked the letter with the activities more.  Gave me back the other one.

12 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

Stop by the bank every 60-90 days or so and get the passbook updated.   Of course there is no additional activity, since this account is solely for immigration, but you have entries showing balance unchanged.

As far as I know, only Bangkok Bank will print a balance update in your book if there's been no activity. For other banks, nothing will be printed unless there has actually been some kind of transaction, so if you try to update it, your passbook will just be returned to you with no new entry. 

• Like 1

I don't get it. 

I can understand immigration not accepting bank book pages as evidence of funds being maintained when it's an every day account and transactions can be consolidated.

Attached is photocopy of the (circled in red) thing that the io was banging on about.

Namely from 15/07 till 02/11....

There were no transactions .

Fine can someone explain how I could have withdrawn funds and redeposited and not be shown in bankbook records. 

Just another example of manic immigration rules. 

IMG_20221020_073516_977~2.jpg

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

Keep the 800k in a dedicated account and there won't be any activity, unless you have a fixed account adding interest semi-annually.

I have 800k in a dedicated account with Bangkok Bank but still have to get statements. I get a 12 month statement which will always fall short because this has to come through Head Office. So I top up with an up to date 6 monthly statement as well. This is acceptable to the IO and is no real hassle to obtain. 

• Like 1

On 10/19/2022 at 12:12 PM, DrJack54 said:

Was initially refused by io as some months no activity 3 months or more. 

Passed up to next level io.

Basically me saying account kept exactly same way as in past few years.

Eventually was made to write on bottom of one of the forms...

"Next year I will provide bank  statements"

Geezus.

So as long as there is some monthly deposit/withdrawal a copy of the passbook is sufficient?

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, John Drake said:

So as long as there is some monthly deposit/withdrawal a copy of the passbook is sufficient?

Seriously can't answer that.

I would have thought that would have been the suggestion from the OP if that was the case.

Instead she pointed out that I need to write on the form that "next extension I will provide bank statements"....

Perhaps sounds trivial, however it's difficult to post advice when immigration is a moving target.

I have read MANY MANY posts from folk using money in bank method at CW and stating photocopies of bank book pages is sufficient.

The couple of posts I have read where statements were required ended up being down to consolidated transactions.

That can occur if using everyday bank account.

I have also read posts with wording to the effect...."my bankbook only comes out of draw" for extension.

In earlier post there is picture of what the io was  on about.....

The point is my extensions have previously been A..OK .

This screenshot shows exactly same ......meaning no transactions for some months.

No issue till now. 

IMG_20221020_093443_742~2.jpg

Edited by DrJack54

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I have read MANY MANY posts from folk using money in bank method at CW and stating photocopies of bank book pages is sufficient.

The couple of posts I have read where statements were required ended up being down to consolidated transactions.

That can occur if using everyday bank account.

I have also read posts with wording to the effect...."my bankbook only comes out of draw" for extension.

In earlier post there is picture of what the io was pointing to an on about.....

The point is my extensions have previously been A..OK .

Yes, it's the expectations. I just want to go to immigration with everything ready and prepared. No surprises. FWIW, I extended back in late August and only used copies of the passbook. It's for a locked Bangkok Bank account, where I maintain a minimum of 800K all year and have social security deposited to it monthly, along with a once yearly private annuity deposit--and of course IRS refunds and any stimulus type checks. Once every two months or so, I go in and withdraw everything above 805K and put it in my regular Bangkok Bank account. So the pages in the passbook are never consolidated and not even cluttered with a large amount of transactions.

Edited by John Drake

My IO is CW, since the no letter policy from USA Embassy started I open a FIX Account ( not easy I  may said ) my name only. Never had touch. Every year go to local bank 2 days before going to CW, get letter and up book. Go CW do update down stairs get copy from bank, IO never have any questions. I how 843,386.20 Baht balance in the book.

Edited by Dickp
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dickp said:

I open a FIX Account

None of the thread is about FD account.

Yes that's an option however there is no reason why a saving account cannot be used.

Well no reason until now when immigration shifts goal posts. 

25 minutes ago, John Drake said:

So the pages in the passbook are never consolidated and not even cluttered with a large amount of transactions.

I read about consolidated transactions. I'm sure that occurs when large number of transactions are made each month.

The account that I have provided photos of and was the bankbook that immigration had issue with is just rubbish made up by immigration.

In 2020 when covid hit we were Koh Samet.

Given the situation in Bangkok  decided to stay Samet. In fact stayed 7 months. 

During that time made many 20k ATM withdrawals over several months. 

When finally back in BKK and made deposit with teller, EVERY withdrawal was listed in my bankbook. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I read about consolidated transactions. I'm sure that occurs when large number of transactions are made each month.

The account that I have provided photos of and was the bankbook that immigration had issue with is just rubbish made up by immigration.

In 2020 when covid hit we were Koh Samet.

Given the situation in Bangkok  decided to stay Samet. In fact stayed 7 months. 

During that time made many 20k ATM withdrawals over several months. 

When finally back in BKK and made deposit with teller, EVERY withdrawal was listed in my bankbook. 

Transactions are consolidated if it's a much longer time, not just 4 months like in your passbook.

I use a dedicated FD account with BBL, get the "letter for immigration" at the branch at CW on the day i go there,  don't even look at whatever i get and never had a problem. Like Dickp.

But you are right,  they may invent a problem any time.

Firstly, they must make the LTR visa attractive by harassing the paupers who just have some other extension. 

Second and more important,  it is a basic concept of social control that the ruled should not understand the rules by which they are ruled.

Immigration should not be a predictable, automatic procedure where the ruled (that's us) can calculate the outcome in advance. It must be an unpredictable maze (read Kafka). That makes it very clear who has power and who is powerless (that's us).  Power is not: demanding reasonable things that the subject knows in advance.  Power is demanding (and getting) unreasonable, nonsensical things, made up on a whim. Like nonsensical passbook updates.

And then, if you kowtow, you may be pardoned (as you were). But the power has been exercised,  and that's all it's about. 

You should read up on military sociology. 

Edited by Lorry

On 10/20/2022 at 1:07 PM, John Drake said:

Not as long as the passbook is NOT updated over a period involving X number of transactions (no idea what X is). Then, you'll get a consolidated entry netting out all the transactions. That's where a withdrawal *below* the minimum amount required in the account could occur. And that is why the 12 month bank statement requirement came about, as the 12 month statement shows all transactions. Some Imm offices have enforced it, like CM, while others, like CW, have allowed copies of passbook pages to suffice.

In DrJack's case, the IO saw a 4 month gap in his passbook entries -- and probably recalled a briefing about consolidated entries occurring when passbooks aren't frequently updated. Well, there was no consolidated entry (it would have been coded), but the IO was none the wiser. So, maybe the higher ups at CW have decided that, if their IOs can't adequately read passbook entries, might as well require 12 month bank statements.

I'm sure that individual situations will vary with the IO, as with all aspects of the annual Imm goat rope. But, I guess, to be safe -- best get the 12 month bank statement. No big deal, actually -- except for Bangkok Bank (and maybe others), where you have to build in a 7 business day lead. time.

1 hour ago, JimGant said:

In DrJack's case, the IO saw a 4 month gap in his passbook entries -- and probably recalled a briefing about consolidated entries occurring when passbooks aren't frequently updated

The more I think about my experience on Wednesday and what the young io had issue with the more I believe they are (in some cases doing a job they don't fully grasp)

In the attached pic. The no transactions from 15/07/21 till 02/11/21 that the io had issue with was irrelevant.

Why? Because the 100deposit on 02/11/21 was the day of my previous extension.

Checking of bank book for this year's extension had nothing to do with dates prior to that date.

She should have been interested in the 3 months post 02/11/21 to check for the 800k+ and then rest of the months up to my application on 19/10/22.

All very boring however imo she didn't have a clue. 

Regards consolidated transactions....I posted in another thread yesterday, where due to being on Koh Samed (no banks) for 7 months, I withdrew over 4 month period ongoing amounts of 20k. 

When I arrived back in Bangkok I made a deposit into that account and EVERY withdrawal was shown. 

Thinking the bank statements have become the norm due to keeping things simple for the clerks. (Mind you was simple already) 

IMG_20221021_143051_577~2.jpg

Edited by DrJack54