Another (death) blow to Patong's embattled tourism industry

Adumbration

Massive landslide on top of "Mount Mayhem" has just destroyed the road from Kathu to Patong.  Looking at the photos it will take them months to repair it properly and billions of baht.  

Sorry I have some photos here of the damage but I am getting servor error messages when I try to upload.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Billions and tourist killer? 

Tourists really do not care, only foreigners who live here seems to roar up every time something happens, but most continue to stay. Just another day in paradise

Tourists dont care

Covid has killed it

I suppose they have to write a scary headline

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

Billions and tourist killer? 

Tourists really do not care, only foreigners who live here seems to roar up every time something happens, but most continue to stay. Just another day in paradise

Yes billions of baht to repair is correctly.

Hey, used to be kamala was the most remote to phuket town, now with the road between Patong an Kathu closed, its Patong  LOL

no big deal, Phuket has come back from much worse,  i'd say by mid dec it will be all fixed  an now they will push the tunnel to be made quicker
From the airport many taxi's use the road down the west coast  anyway

Edited by zzzzz

41 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

From the airport many taxi's use the road down the west coast  anyway

I may have read the road from Kamala to Patong has collapsed too. May just have to take the southern route through Chalong around the Buddha mountain to Kata and then up to Patong.

13 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Yes billions of baht to repair is correctly.

They need to span that curve in the road, always have many accident there and then down the hill into the straight away.  But by spanning that downhill section they will avoid it ever slipping out again.

I thought there was some kind of a house or structure down at the bottom of that hillside that had beach access, maybe my memory is poor.  I used to drive that road, ride it as well many times a week when I lived in Rawai and Chalong over a 5 year period.

13 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

Some more photos here showing extent of damage:

1666170529_3.jpg

1666170529_3.jpg

1666170529_1-org.jpg

1666170529_4-org.jpg

That reminds me of a joke: – "a large hole has appeared in the road on Patong Hill and workmen are said to be looking into it" (look closely at the pic). 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I don't think that's the case TR, as the bottom of that hill is many kilometres away from any beach! And as I was searching frantically for a way around the melee yesterday, I tried every which way but loose, with little back roads and dirt roads, to try and find a way back into Patong, but to no avail and I've posted about it elsewhere.

I'm taking a friend from Patong to Bangkok Int Hospital Friday so any suugestions for what's the best route and how long should I allow for travel?

16 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I thought there was some kind of a house or structure down at the bottom of that hillside that had beach access, maybe my memory is poor.  I used to drive that road, ride it as well many times a week when I lived in Rawai and Chalong over a 5 year period.

From your description, are you confusing the road from Karon (hence Rawai/Chalong) to Patong, rather than the road from Kathu to Patong (over Patong Hill) which is the one that has collapsed?   On the Karon side, there are a couple of small track type roads that lead to beaches.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Nowhere near the beach, are you thinking of the road to Karon?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Patong2 said:

I'm taking a friend from Patong to Bangkok Int Hospital Friday so any suugestions for what's the best route and how long should I allow for travel?

Best (my opinion) would be north through Kamala to Cherng Talay, then to Heroines, then right towards Phuket Town, right at the Bypass, left at Sam Kong.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Nowhere near the beach, are you thinking of the road to Karon?

Death blow ... ????

Most tourist will never be on that stretch of road.  A simple inconvenience to those living there, if they use it.

19 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I don't think that's the case TR, as the bottom of that hill is many kilometres away from any beach! And as I was searching frantically for a way around the melee yesterday, I tried every which way but loose, with little back roads and dirt roads, to try and find a way back into Patong, but to no avail and I've posted about it elsewhere.

9 minutes ago, pagallim said:

From your description, are you confusing the road from Karon (hence Rawai/Chalong) to Patong, rather than the road from Kathu to Patong (over Patong Hill) which is the one that has collapsed?   On the Karon side, there are a couple of small track type roads that lead to beaches.

I think I am thinking of the roadway you are describing that runs along the beach.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Patong2 said:

A couple of choices I can think of and @pagallim has mentioned one, going north through Kamala and hooking up with the dual carriageway which then heads into Phuket town, and provided the large slips and flooding which were evident yesterday at Kamala have been cleared, then that will probably be the "safest" route, although a little longer.

Otherwise go south to Chalong circle and take the road which heads back into Phuket town and takes you directly past Bangkok International Hospital, as there was only one large flood which was holding traffic up from Chalong north.

Allow 45 to 60 mins to be on the safe side.

• Like 1