Another (death) blow to Patong's embattled tourism industry

Adumbration

I read a number of comments in the Phuket media about this slide.  Posters who live in Patong commented that the road from Patong to Karon is also on the brink of collapse because apparently the authories commenced road works alongside this road to dig drainage canals.  But they commenced work during the rainy season and now the excavations have all washed out the dirt under the road in several places.  Many people agreed that it the Karon road may well collapse as well.

33 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

I read a number of comments in the Phuket media about this slide.  Posters who live in Patong commented that the road from Patong to Karon is also on the brink of collapse because apparently the authories commenced road works alongside this road to dig drainage canals.  But they commenced work during the rainy season and now the excavations have all washed out the dirt under the road in several places.  Many people agreed that it the Karon road may well collapse as well.

If you mean road along the surf, patong to karon, I'd be real surprised, as I think that is built on mostly rock, unlike the one in OP news-blip, which every year needed repair, and hasn't been right since day 1.

I believe it's called 'job security' ????

Looking at the photo, I think it's a bit beyond quick fix.  They may decide to do it right once and for all.  A concrete & steel bridge/elevated roadway, across or around the valley would make a lot more sense.

Edited by KhunLA

36 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

If you mean road along the surf, patong to karon, I'd be real surprised, as I think that is built on mostly rock, unlike the one in OP news-blip, which every year needed repair, and hasn't been right since day 1.

I believe it's called 'job security' ????

Looking at the photo, I think it's a bit beyond quick fix.  They may decide to do it right once and for all.  A concrete & steel bridge/elevated roadway, across or around the valley would make a lot more sense.

They will request funding from Bangkok to fix it properly and then the project will proceed with inferior design and substandard (or missing entirely) materials.  TIT.

Much of the road to Karon is built on mountside dirt same as this road that has collapse.  The drainage trenches they have dug (between mountain and road) have washed out under the road with the dirt flowing into the sea.  I will try to get some photos...but I do not live in Phuket myself....But used to for a decade or more.

6 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

They will request funding from Bangkok to fix it properly and then the project will proceed with inferior design and substandard (or missing entirely) materials.  TIT.

With that attitude, I wouldn't drive on Thai roads as they all my collapse underneath of you.  Which of course never happens elsewhere outside of TH.

You better walk ... just pray there isn't a sinkhole under the walkway ????

In your mind, no matter what Thais do, it will be inferior, and you won't trust it.

Why do you live here ?

Edited by KhunLA

16 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

I'd say at least 70%+ of the tourists that stay n Patong would use the road going over to kathu, heading to: central,  phuket town, Nightmarket, airport, and for tours departing to Phi Phi

I'd be surprised if 70% leave the beach areas, and those that do, another 30 minute won't kill them, hopefully.  Unlike the now impassable road, as more than a few deadly accidents on that every year.

Besides, now the taxis can charge 2 or 3k baht instead of 1k ????

• Haha 1

Google maps “knows” Patong hill is closed and will suggest going via the Kamala or Karon routes. Obviously there will be a significant increase in traffic so I’d suggest looking at Google maps before you go. Enough people use the app that it is usually accurate with live data on jams and travel estimates 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yenots said:

getting rid of the bars, massage parlours and the dirty old men that go there

I agree!!! Worst of the worst!!!  Ban alcohol, bars, massages, dirty old men, and when LOS has literally ZERO tourists and closes down and kicks out all falangs and the government has no money for roads, hospitals, schools, anything.................well, then I'll be happy!!!!

I have been in Thailand for 32 years and would NEVER go to a bar, seedy place, talk with massage lady or do anything to make someone think I'm a dirty old man!!!!  Elephant washing every morning, Wat at noon, and pick strawberries every night.    

If I hear Pattaya, BKK, Phuket, CM, Udon Thai or one more sex place I'll go crazy!!!!!!!!

I'm guessing 20% GDP related to these dirty old men, but they make me sick!!! I'm here to save the soi dogs!!!!!  

Edited by Iamfalang
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Adumbration said:

And don't forget, the cross-over mountain road from Kata to Chalong is also undergoing repairs from a washout a year or two ago (again commenced during monsoon season). I wonder what the recent heavy rains have done to this "repair." If that goes, it will be down to single lane each way on the north lanes or the long route over the mountain to Rawai and up Chao Fa to central Phuket and beyond.

51 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I'd be surprised if 70% leave the beach areas, and those that do, another 30 minute won't kill them, hopefully.  Unlike the now impassable road, as more than a few deadly accidents on that every year.

Besides, now the taxis can charge 2 or 3k baht instead of 1k ????

100% of tourists leave at some point and for the vast majority it would have been via this road. 

I know people who have businesses in Patong but live in Kathu. I also know someone who lives in Patong but their kid goes to school near Central Floresta. The alternative route is not a "simple inconvenience", but a major one. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Yes billions of baht to repair is correctly.

Are you sure inflation is THAT high yet? ???? Sorry but you are exagerating more than a tabloid would.

It's not the first time for a landslide there btw.

6 minutes ago, Timbob said:

100% of tourists leave at some point and for the vast majority it would have been via this road. 

I know people who have businesses in Patong but live in Kathu. I also know someone who lives in Patong but their kid goes to school near Central Floresta. The alternative route is not a "simple inconvenience", but a major one. 

Coming / going to beaches, to/from HKT, nobody needs that road:

image.png.8be39d7269d0000ffa516235abb5259a.png

For others, oh well, just add another 30ish minutes to you commute to/from, if need to go there.  Though if in more southern part of island, wouldn't use anyway.

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Coming / going to beaches, to/from HKT, nobody needs that road:

For others, oh well, just add another 30ish minutes to you commute to/from, if need to go there.  Though if in more southern part of island, wouldn't use anyway.

That route will probably get jammed now. Oh well, I guess people can always swim.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, blackshadow said:

YES but it is THE MEN who are going to fix it that is the problem......they cant build a sand castle on a beach !!!!!

Oh yes they could, and that's about the same level of building expertise that they will use on this road – – this after a few million baht has been skimmed off to go into various pockets!

Edited by xylophone

1 hour ago, Timbob said:

That route will probably get jammed now. Oh well, I guess people can always swim.

Simple mismanagement of all things by govts ... worldwide.  More so in 3rd world countries, with the seemingly endless growing pains.   Why they remain 3rd world.

Simply accept or leave ... options abound.

Edited by KhunLA

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

They need to span that curve in the road, always have many accident there and then down the hill into the straight away.  But by spanning that downhill section they will avoid it ever slipping out again.

I have travelled every square inch of this country on my motorbike over the last 20 years, never had a scratch, but this road, and exactly this curve, was almost my end. I somehow slipped and ended up in BKK hospital with 53 stiches over my face. I still do not understand what went wrong. I dont drink, wear a helmet (!!!), and my bike is tip-top. I stil think someone hit or clipped me. Seeing these photos make me shiver. I haven't used my bike since, as I dont understand how it happened. This road is crazy dangerous. Time for a tunnel or new road.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, yenots said:

Could knock the whole of patong down for me, getting rid of the bars, massage parlours and the dirty old men that go there would be great for Phuket, it’s the only thing that ruins it for me and it probably loses them more money in tourists that won’t come here because of that seedy image! 

Thai women are easy enough to hook up with on the internet in 2022, why would anyone visit a bar area to get a jump other than pure desperation?

A girl from a bar area is not yours, it’s just your turn while the moneys flowing yet the two week millionaires still flock there……smh 

Ever been to Pattaya Mate?

• Love It 1

2 hours ago, Timbob said:

Yes.  You have brought up a very excellent point that I overlooked.  No Thais live in Patong because they know it is an overpriced tourist trap with <deleted>ty restaurants and overpriced groceries.  There are are tiny amount of old guard locals in that village with houses but most have been bought out or displaced with development.  Perhaps 95 percent of the Thai staff who work in Patong would live in Kathu and Phuket town in cheaper 2500 baht per month rooms and having to go to work via kamala or karon would be a huge burden in both time and costs for them.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

Yes that is the stark reality on the ground.  Not some fairy tail make believe nonsense posted by @KhunLA and other numpties that have never lived on Phuket.

So traffic will be like high peak season at rush hour, all day, everyday for the foreseeable future.  That's why I don't live and stopped visiting Phuket, the past 12 ish years, except during covid  & lovely it was.

• Thumbs Up 1

Once the place partially opened prices shot up 10 fold and Taxis started there bulls**t pricing again.

Who wants to vacation in a place where people are constantly trying to rip you off.

I enjoyed it during the pandemic.  They bent over backwards to have you stay at there resort.

Thai's are very adept at Social media.  Reports of overcharging and terrible service were always on social media sites.  

It was inevitable the bad behavior would eventually ruin peoples apetite to visit what could be a wonderful place.

Plenty of other beach places to visit. 

Edited by MrJ2U
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

So traffic will be like high peak season at rush hour, all day, everyday for the foreseeable future.  That's why I don't live and stopped visiting Phuket, the past 12 ish years, except during covid  & lovely it was.

Traffic is definitely a sore point.

Especially around Makro/ Tesco's area. 

• Like 1