Another (death) blow to Patong's embattled tourism industry

Adumbration

29 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Once the place partially opened prices shot up 10 fold and Taxis started there bulls**t pricing again.

Who wants to vacation in a place where people are constantly trying to rip you off.

I enjoyed it during the pandemic.  They bent over backwards to have you stay at there resort.

Thai's are very adept at Social media.  Reports of overcharging and terrible service were always on social media sites.  

It was inevitable the bad behavior would eventually ruin peoples apetite to visit what could be a wonderful place.

Plenty of other beach places to visit. 

100% in agreement, had some great trips to Phuket, Cape Panwa, but those easy times are done for with tourism returning en-mass.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Adumbration said:

I read a number of comments in the Phuket media about this slide.  Posters who live in Patong commented that the road from Patong to Karon is also on the brink of collapse because apparently the authories commenced road works alongside this road to dig drainage canals.  But they commenced work during the rainy season and now the excavations have all washed out the dirt under the road in several places.  Many people agreed that it the Karon road may well collapse as well.

Excellent planning once again. 

9 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

100% in agreement, had some great trips to Phuket, Cape Panwa, but those easy times are done for with tourism returning en-mass.

Amazing times despite a pandemic.

I remember talking with one guy who was paying 30,000 a month at the Le Meridien Phuket resort.  Breakfast included.  

Usually membership just to there gym and tennis courts was 12,000 a month.

Still some good deals to be had outside of Phuket. 

Everyone bags Pattaya mostly because of the sleaze and sewage but what you do get (if you stay off the beach) is value for money, for what it is, there.

Phuket has been a rip-off since five minutes after the first famous Australian Ads hit the printers:

"If you're tired of saying Fiji or Bali you can always say Phuket!"

They then explained how "Phuket" was pronounced in the sales pitch. ????

11 hours ago, Patong2 said:

I asked the question re going from Patong to BK Hospital on Friday morning?

Left Patong at 8am arrived at 8.45am going through Karon & Chalong. 

Really surprised, yes traffic heavier but all moving well.

Heavy traffic going back to Patong and had to do the same trip later in the day but although heavy, the traffic was flowing.

Police doing a reasonable job on Chalong roundabout flowing the traffic around in bursts.

It is sad to see all the cleaning up having to be done. Business owners here have had and are having a real hard time. It must be heartbreaking to see the rain clouds rolling in and destroying your customer base for the day/night. 

So 3/4 of an drive hour to get to a location that is geographically located 15 kilometers from you.  And on a day with good traffic flow.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Adumbration said:

So 3/4 of an drive hour to get to a location that is geographically located 15 kilometers from you.  And on a day with good traffic flow.

Isn't that great?

My home in New Zealand, at 8am, used to take 3/4 of an hour to drive 6.9km and that was with all access routes available. And I had no where to park unless I paid B220.

I just love living in Patong.

A Patong-Kathu shortcut does exist, but you would definitely need a high-clearance 4WD vehicle or a small and light motorbike that your can maintain control of while sliding around on the steep and muddy hills that you must traverse along the way. Once it dries out, it will be a lot easier. I talked to a woman on the Kathu side that walked the road and she verified that it was possible but said that I should not try it unless I had better shoes. I was wearing flip-flops. So I rode my bike around the one hour detour through Kata/Karon to Patong and up to the top of the mountain. There I met 2 separate persons that had ridden small, automatic motor scooters up from Kathu and they asked me if they could get to Patong if they followed the road that I had just come up on. I happily told them yes and they each took off down the road smiling.  

Going from Patong to Kathu, here is a picture of the first slippery and steep hill:

hill1.thumb.jpg.c5ef115001c844bc34454ff70d65d3a9.jpg

The steepness never seems to actually show in the picture. But be aware there is a surprise ditch in the road just as you come to the top of the hill, just big enough to upset the progress of the bikes with the smaller wheels.

Shortly after that, you will come to a fork in the road. Google says to go left at that fork. But knowing I already had one steep and slippery ass hill that I had to go back down, I turned around at that point. If I would have had actual shoes on, I would have traveled further. Picture of the fork:

fork2.jpg.72a9e0144eb691bfe9218bee183025e3.jpg

hill2.thumb.jpg.5df15769dbbb06c5b4cfb606f2c23c41.jpg

Lucky my bike has semi-dirt tires on it, so I made it safely back down the hill. I have always enjoyed climbing hills on my bikes, but always hated going back down the particularly hairy ones.

The route is plainly marked on Google maps if you look for it. It runs between the Wat Doi Thep Nimit Monastery above Patong and the เคียงเขา Forest & Cafe at the bottom of the hill on the Kathu side.

Me, I will wait for things to dry out a bit and then I will put on my boots and go for it. You guys go ahead and report back. 

Raider1.jpg.1f649d5f0e3e788fafdec024f5a288d8.jpg

fork.jpg

Edited by Issanman
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Issanman said:

A Patong-Kathu shortcut does exist, but you would definitely need a high-clearance 4WD vehicle or a small and light motorbike that your can maintain control of while sliding around on the steep and muddy hills that you must traverse along the way. Once it dries out, it will be a lot easier. I talked to a woman on the Kathu side that walked the road and she verified that it was possible but said that I should not try it unless I had better shoes. I was wearing flip-flops. So I rode my bike around the one hour detour through Kata/Karon to Patong and up to the top of the mountain. There I met 2 separate persons that had ridden small, automatic motor scooters up from Kathu and they asked me if they could get to Patong if they followed the road that I had just come up on. I happily told them yes and they each took off down the road smiling.  

Going from Patong to Kathu, here is a picture of the first slippery and steep hill:

The steepness never seems to actually show in the picture. But be aware there is a surprise ditch in the road just as you come to the top of the hill, just big enough to upset the progress of the bikes with the smaller wheels.

Shortly after that, you will come to a fork in the road. Google says to go left at that fork. But knowing I already had one steep and slippery ass hill that I had to go back down, I turned around at that point. If I would have had actual shoes on, I would have traveled further. Picture of the fork:

Lucky my bike has semi-dirt tires on it, so I made it safely back down the hill. I have always enjoyed climbing hills on my bikes, but always hated going back down the particularly hairy ones.

The route is plainly marked on Google maps if you look for it. It runs between the Wat Doi Thep Nimit Monastery above Patong and the เคียงเขา Forest & Cafe at the bottom of the hill on the Kathu side.

Me, I will wait for things to dry out a bit and then I will put on my boots and go for it. You guys go ahead and report back. 

fork.jpg

Definitely would need some off road cross road tires for that muck.

H55f9629cec7144768eab8f10c0f64bf5v.jpg_960x960.jpg

11 hours ago, Issanman said:

fork.jpg

One of the landowners will arrive there shortly with a bamboo toll gate...TIT.

• Haha 1

It appears that the authorities are attempting to renovate another way over the mountain. It would go from Chalong to Patong.  I believe that road will connect to the southern portion of Hasippi Rd. 

I am thinking this is the same road that my daughter and I attempted to navigate on our scooters a couple of years ago. But we were advised by the locals that the only safe way to traverse that particular road is by walking. They said it was not passable by scooters. I have been meaning to go back there and try again since I got my new bike, but I just haven't gotten around to it.

https://thephuketexpress.com/2022/10/24/local-road-from-chalong-to-patong-to-be-renovated/

34 minutes ago, Issanman said:

It appears that the authorities are attempting to renovate another way over the mountain. It would go from Chalong to Patong.  I believe that road will connect to the southern portion of Hasippi Rd. 

I am thinking this is the same road that my daughter and I attempted to navigate on our scooters a couple of years ago. But we were advised by the locals that the only safe way to traverse that particular road is by walking. They said it was not passable by scooters. I have been meaning to go back there and try again since I got my new bike, but I just haven't gotten around to it.

https://thephuketexpress.com/2022/10/24/local-road-from-chalong-to-patong-to-be-renovated/

I saw the photo of you new bike.  Interesting design..Suzuki...cross between wave and a trail bike.  Where did you get it and what was the cost.  Would go alright in my village where we often go on the open beach to fish or launch our boats.

1 hour ago, Adumbration said:

I saw the photo of you new bike.  Interesting design..Suzuki...cross between wave and a trail bike.  Where did you get it and what was the cost.  Would go alright in my village where we often go on the open beach to fish or launch our boats.

Suzuki Raider J Crossover 56,900฿ at Suzuki BigBike Phuket downtown Phuket.

It's a new model for Thailand and it is the most fun I have had on 2 wheels in quite a long time. I bought the first one of this model sold in Phuket. 

It's 112.8cc but they call it a 115i engine.

It's enough power for my current riding style at 69 years old.

I also have an NMax but the Suzuki is way more fun.

I changed the wheels, tires, shocks, and added the luggage rack and box.

They really need these bikes for the farm country up where I stayed before in NE Thailand, but there are so few Suzuki shops up there that it probably won't even be seen by most of the people who could really use a bike like this. When I stayed up there, our closest Suzuki shops were about 100km away from our village.

I am waiting for the drier weather so I can take my Suzuki out there and explore more of the secret roads that cover this island. Some of the roads are barely passable without a vehicle like this. But I don't like it when they are slippery in addition to being very steep. This is not a motocross bike. ????

But seriously, I think I am probably having more fun than anyone else on the road, while I am riding my new Suzuki. 

8 hours ago, Issanman said:

Suzuki Raider J Crossover 56,900฿ at Suzuki BigBike Phuket downtown Phuket.

It's a new model for Thailand and it is the most fun I have had on 2 wheels in quite a long time. I bought the first one of this model sold in Phuket. 

It's 112.8cc but they call it a 115i engine.

It's enough power for my current riding style at 69 years old.

I also have an NMax but the Suzuki is way more fun.

I changed the wheels, tires, shocks, and added the luggage rack and box.

They really need these bikes for the farm country up where I stayed before in NE Thailand, but there are so few Suzuki shops up there that it probably won't even be seen by most of the people who could really use a bike like this. When I stayed up there, our closest Suzuki shops were about 100km away from our village.

I am waiting for the drier weather so I can take my Suzuki out there and explore more of the secret roads that cover this island. Some of the roads are barely passable without a vehicle like this. But I don't like it when they are slippery in addition to being very steep. This is not a motocross bike. ????

But seriously, I think I am probably having more fun than anyone else on the road, while I am riding my new Suzuki. 

I have had dozens of bikes here...I have been here a very long time.  High end big bikes included.  I just got too frustrated with inept mechanics and the non availability of parts...even simple stuff like tyres and tubes...Especially as soon as you get off Phuket.  I currenly have a suzuki but I would never buy another.  Not because it has not been a good and reliable bike, but because it is impossible to get parts for.  I have gone through 3 exhausts because they just rust out when my bike is parked next to the ocean every day...and sometimes all night as well.  Aftermarket exhausts just don't exist for suzuki so you are trapped into buying factory which (as the bike has got old) are more then the bike is worth.

I have had a new 125 wave on order for 3 months now.  Paid a deposit at the local honda dealer.  I will be running with hondas from here on in because if you go on shopee or lazada you can buy full aftermarket stainless exhaust and other parts for peanuts.  The girl at the Honda dealer called me in to the shop last week.  Honda is no longer making lasts years model. (I chose the gun metal grey version).  So I had to repick what color I wanted from the new model range.  The grey in the new model range is dreadful because it has baby blue trim and baby blue seat cover.  So I just had to go for red.  I figure that is safest color on the road anyway.

On 10/26/2022 at 6:55 PM, Timbob said:

The Patong Hill road is now open to motorbikes.

Yes I heard that from a mate in Phuket.  Good new for thai commuting for work in Patong.  But my mate also told me car traffic on the rest of the island is now a nightmare.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adumbration said:

Yes I heard that from a mate in Phuket.  Good new for thai commuting for work in Patong.  But my mate also told me car traffic on the rest of the island is now a nightmare.

The traffic on the rest of the island can be a bit of a nightmare, but of course it depends upon which time of day you choose to travel – – for example I had to take my Swift into the Suzuki dealer in Phuket town (I live in Patong) for a service, so I had to go the long way round via Chalong roundabout and then head north, and the traffic was fairly free-flowing (thankfully).

After the service and a few visits to a couple of shops, I headed back south to Chalong and then onto Patong and again the traffic was flowing well.

As the old saying goes – – timing is of the essence!

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Patong2 said:

Just had a bit of a downpour in Patong and Sai Kor 3 rd (middle broken road behind Jungceylon) is flooded again. Quite deep at the edges.

This is at 2pm Friday

Not a good look for tourists sadly

Second and Beach Rd also.. Pattaya aint so bad after all!!