Advice on how to look for a furnished flat for couple mos?

whomever

Hi all! I'm coming to bangkok for the next several months (not sure exactly but looking like 2-4 months, definitely longer than airbnb) and so I plan to rent an apartment. I've never been before, so I plan to bop around and stay in different areas for the first several weeks. That way I have time to learn the city's neighborhoods and transit, and then I can look for a place once I'm acclimated. I've scouted about online and it seems there's plenty of short term rental inventory, so I'm confident I'll be able to find something. But as I said I haven't been there before and don't know how things are done on the ground. I'd love it if anyone had any tips or tricks, or leads on specific places (or other forums) to ask around. 

Generally what I'm looking for: furnished flat, doesn't need to be huge, but big enough to hang out and work during the day, and with an extra bedroom for guests. Internet is mandatory, and I can only imagine AC is a reasonable thing to want. I'm fine with a minimal thai-style kitchen, and I hardly care about having modern luxuries like a pool and a gym. I mean, sure I'd use them -- But what would really make me happy is a more rustic building with vines growing on the balcony and nice light. Looking on the internet I didn't see much rustic charm -- the range was more like cheap hotels to fancy hotels. I'm not really someone who gets excited staying at the four seasons, and my own home is, well, quite homey -- lots of plants & art, like that. So that's what I honestly crave, but anyhow. It's obvious to me that the internet might not be very representative, since it's a tourist market and they are all basically hotels. But either way it suggests to me that older more lived-in properties might be harder for a non-local to find -- It might not even be worth it for me to care. I guess even luxury condos are less offensive than american airbnbs with all that walmart decor.... I'm just curious what I can get away with wanting. Thoughts?

Apologies if this is the wrong forum for this -- the real estate forum seemed more for people building stuff and I didn't see a better place to put this. 

@marin -- I don't know the real cost of flats in Bangkok, but I'm not too worried about it. I guess I expect to pay less than what I would for airbnb or my American apartment. 

@Sparktrader -- yep, and I ended up here. I'm open to suggestions...

What you want, and what you expect to achieve I think will be akin to a needle in a hay stack in somewhere like Bangkok. I woukd respectfully suggest you aim for outskirts or a smaller rural town/area, where the pool your swimming in is smaller and easier to navigate etc. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CharlieH said:

a needle in a hay stack

Fair enough, that's why I asked, and I'm not at all surprised you'd say that.

Supposing I just want a short term rental, furnished, at a relatively uninflated price (ie, not an airbnb charged by the night), do you have an suggestions?

Thanks again for your feedback.

50 minutes ago, whomever said:

Supposing I just want a short term rental, furnished, at a relatively uninflated price (ie, not an airbnb charged by the night), do you have an suggestions?

Bit of a narrow minded view, Airbnb do weekly and monthly discounts.

They have places around Bang Na & Nonthaburi at about £300/month, city centre about £500 upwards.

airbnb.PNG

• Thanks 1

AirBnB is illegal unless it is for a minimum 30 day stay or if the AirBnB is located in a codotel. So be very careful about any short term offers like weekly etc as you may well be asked by the condo management to leave unless you comply with the current government regulations. Some private owners of course ignore that law in order to make money but the ultimate risk will lay with the

customer.

Many serviced apartments are very negotiable if more than one or two months.

• Like 1

I was in similar situation when arranging place for my parents, but eventually picked one from AirBnB which had daily and monthly rates. Ended up about 18k/month including all the utilities (water, electricity, etc.). I was looking for 4 months.

Most other places wanted 1 year contract and 3 months deposit (2 months+1 month forward).

On 10/24/2022 at 8:17 AM, whomever said:

Fair enough, that's why I asked, and I'm not at all surprised you'd say that.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Whats your budget ?

There are places from 3000 a month upto 50k

I actually believe the best way is on the ground and look. Book a hotel  for the 1st week then survey the area you are likely to want to be in. Or even stick with smaller hotels as you are likely to be moving around a bit.

sounds like you have it figured out 

find your area of interest and settle in. 

google does not have SOME of the hotels, only the ones that can do websites  

i jound mine in CM 5k per month plus expensive electricity ...

Edited by ifmu

On 10/23/2022 at 5:13 PM, whomever said:

@marin -- I don't know the real cost of flats in Bangkok, but I'm not too worried about it. I guess I expect to pay less than what I would for airbnb or my American apartment. 

@Sparktrader -- yep, and I ended up here. I'm open to suggestions...

Bkk is expensive. Any reason for going there?

Get a better deal elsewhere.

10 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Whats your budget ?

There are places from 3000 a month upto 50k

I actually believe the best way is on the ground and look. Book a hotel  for the 1st week then survey the area you are likely to want to be in. Or even stick with smaller hotels as you are likely to be moving around a bit.

Yes always best. Lots of places no website. Thais always know good deals.

I like Hipflat to search Pattaya and Bangkok.  It allows you to narrow your search to different neighborhoods and you can further narrow down the search by choosing studios, 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom, etc.

When you click on a project, it gives you information on the project, usually the number of units. when the project was built, the amenities, etc.  Then you can click on individual listings by agencies both for sale or rent, usually with photos.  Most rentals here in Thailand come furnished.   Bangkok is huge so I think your first step would to be to chose some areas you are interested in living at and then check with rentals on Hipflat to give you some idea of what is available and the pricing.  From past experience, I would suggest selecting a project that is not too far a walk from a metro station.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2022 at 2:22 PM, Aussieroaming said:

AirBnB is illegal unless it is for a minimum 30 day stay

Check the facts before making incorrect allegations.

With all Airbnb lets, as well as any other rental agency, the owner has declared conformity with local regulations.

If there is any breach of said regulations, responsibility lies with the owner, no one else.

On 10/25/2022 at 2:22 PM, Aussieroaming said:

So be very careful about any short term offers like weekly etc as you may well be asked by the condo management to leave unless you comply with the current government regulations. Some private owners of course ignore that law in order to make money but the ultimate risk will lay with the

customer.

Garbage like this gets spread about by condo owners to try and stop people using rental agencies like Airbnb.

Bit like people buying a house near an airport and then complaining about the noise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Garbage like this gets spread about by condo owners to try and stop people using rental agencies like Airbnb.

Bit like people buying a house near an airport and then complaining about the noise.

Except many condos were there before the advent of Airbnb, so it's more a case of they were there first and then the airport got built.  And, it is illegal to rent for less than 30 days.  

11 hours ago, newnative said:

t allows you to narrow your search to different neighborhoods and you can further narrow down the search by choosing studios, 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom, etc.

thanks for all the good suggestions guys. lots to work with. can't wait to wander the city!

11 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Bkk is expensive. Any reason for going there?

urban wanderlust. never been.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, newnative said:

Except many condos were there before the advent of Airbnb, so it's more a case of they were there first and then the airport got built.  And, it is illegal to rent for less than 30 days.  

You are wrong, it is perfectly legal to rent accommodation for less than 30 days in compliance with the regulations.

What is illegal is for an owner to sign a declaration falsely stating compliance. 

An owner of a condo in possession of a hotel licence can rent out that condo for as many days as he chooses, irrespective of what condo owners would prefer to think.

You were also wrong to imply condo management had the power of eviction. If a condo owner has acted illegally then there is a due process that can be followed, nothing to do with the tenant or the rental agency.

As for the first part of your comment, life has always been like that, you pay your money and take your chance, why should condo owners be excused the facts of life.

38 minutes ago, sandyf said:

You are wrong, it is perfectly legal to rent accommodation for less than 30 days in compliance with the regulations.

What is illegal is for an owner to sign a declaration falsely stating compliance. 

An owner of a condo in possession of a hotel licence can rent out that condo for as many days as he chooses, irrespective of what condo owners would prefer to think.

You were also wrong to imply condo management had the power of eviction. If a condo owner has acted illegally then there is a due process that can be followed, nothing to do with the tenant or the rental agency.

As for the first part of your comment, life has always been like that, you pay your money and take your chance, why should condo owners be excused the facts of life.

Two key points in your post:  '...in compliance with the regulations...'. And:  'An owner of a condo in possession of a hotel licence...'.   Certainly, if they have a hotel license they can rent for less than 30 days.  How many condo owners illegally doing daily rentals have a valid hotel license?  If they own in a project legally registered at the Land Office as a condominium, I think the answer is likely zero.  So, no hotel license means they are not 'in compliance with the regulations'.  Batting 0 for 2 with your points.  Many condominium projects also have condo by-laws that prohibit short-term rentals.