Thainess - a true definition?

peterrabbit

3 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Yo Fluffy - lots of pent up anger there... your posting this as "Thainess" was rather leading... you make a mistake, an understandable one, and you are a great guy for not screaming at her, though you wanted to... and you should know that meds are much more expensive in a hospital than a pharmacy, yet you chose to make the purchase... sounds to me as you blaming Thais for your lack of knowledge is more arrogant farang-ness than Thainess... 

He can’t get those meds from a Pharmacy....    I’m not sure how many times this needs to be repeated. 

The only thing they did wrong was not grant your every wish... even when it was against policy. 

The only thing ?? the whole policy not to prescribe necessary medication to someone who needs it based on him being ‘a farang’ (non-Thai) is wholly wrong !!!....  

..... it is that ‘degree of clumsiness and discrimination which the Op is suggesting is ’Thainess’...

It's not the ‘minor little misunderstanding' you seem to have implied it is, particularly when someone is quite sick. 

I imagine anyone of us would feel aggrieved in the same situation - perhaps some of us have no learned not to ‘chance it’ at a government hospital if we feel particularly unwell - just incase we are refused treatment because we are a farang. 

Glad you survived but you need a chill pill too...

Perhaps the same hospital would refuse prescribe one of those to him as well !!!!... 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

He can’t get those meds from a Pharmacy....    I’m not sure how many times this needs to be repeated. 

He was complaining about tylenol and cough medicine being expensive which he can get in a pharmacy... 

the other meds, he might have asked politely where he can get them... I assume a private hospital... 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

But, the Op had every right to feel upset and voice that (not express it) to the person who is the representative of the establishment treating him with discrimination.

In this case, it would be fair of the Op to calmly and politely tell the Doctor that the act of discrimination to deny him needed medication is atrocious and ask that she pass that on to her supervisors.

It is not discrimination.

Is he being discriminated against when asked to get a visa when Thais don't need one?

Is he being discriminated against when told he can't buy land but his wife can?

No, it's the law. Now if he was refused medicine on the basis of his race, or sexual preference, or age, that would be discrimination. 

13 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Why didn't he just go to the pharmacy? He never said if he got the life-saving medicine at the one recommended by the doc.

4 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

He was complaining about tylenol and cough medicine being expensive which he can get in a pharmacy... 

Yes, 620 Baht for Paracetamol and Cough mixture is expensive....  but thats the markup everyone knows at any hospital - usually at hospitals (when under inpatient insurance only) I go refuse to take the medication buy the medication at the hospital pharmacy if I know I can’t get it elsewhere.... 

....But, if feeling particularly unwell, no one wants to have to run around to additional places. 

The hospital would also have made a profit on the molnupiravir medication had they not prevented the Op from receiving such medication - its still just very strange that they had a policy which prevented this (maybe an old Policy from last year when anti-virals were more scarce). 

4 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

the other meds, he might have asked politely where he can get them... I assume a private hospital... 

He did, the Dr. told him he could get it at a Pharmacy and wrote the name (molnupiravir) on a piece of paper for the Op - the Pharmacy didn’t stock it, so the Op had to go to another hospital.

• Thumbs Up 1

50 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Now you are racial talking nonsense.

My kids were born to a foreign and a Thai parent, and I assure you they are not Half Thai, they are 100% Thai and 100% British. 

You can assure me that you consider them to be so.

I bet you consider Chinese Thais to be real Thais?

It's unfortunate that you think this is about what you or I think.

It's simply about how things are. ????‍♂️

It was a simple question which you conveniently didn't answer. 

Do you think Arnie is an American, or was Bob Hope an American?

If you are a Brit, was Freddie Mercury British, David Milliband, or Mo Farah?

I think I quite clearly answered. It doesn't matter because Thailand is not the same as Western countries like the US or UK, which are countries of immigrants and racial melting pots.

On 10/24/2022 at 8:50 PM, Neeranam said:

Do you pay tax here? Why do you think tourists(long term or short) should get the same treatment as citizens?

Every single time I buy something in a shop, I'm paying tax here. This is a weak and oft repeated excuse for the way foreigners are treated in Thailand. A Thai would not be treated like this by doctors in the UK, that is why I don't think we should be treated like it here.

If Thailand doesn't wish to treat Westerners with respect, perhaps they should stop accepting hundreds of millions of dollars in aid from the West?

Edited by Mark1066
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Mark1066 said:

Every single time I buy something in a shop, I'm paying tax here. This is a weak and oft repeated excuse for the way foreigners are treated in Thailand. A Thai would not be treated like this by doctors in the UK

Because a Thai would pay tax in the UK on their earning, whereas this guy doesn't. I'm sure he continues to pay tax on his UK pension. 

You are not paying tax here when buying something in a shop, I'm talking about tax on earnings. 

15 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Because a Thai would pay tax in the UK on their earning, whereas this guy doesn't. I'm sure he continues to pay tax on his UK pension. 

You are not paying tax here when buying something in a shop, I'm talking about tax on earnings. 

So Value Added Tax is not tax? I'm confused. But all this talk of tax is really a red herring. Wasn't the OP's issue the fact he was told he could get the drugs and was then refused them after attending the hospital? I don't think he was concerned about the cost, it was being refused the drugs he was told he needed and could get that upset him.

I do agree the Thai tax system has nothing to do with me, or you for that matter, seeing as neither of us has a say in it.

Edited by Mark1066
  • Thanks 1

On 10/27/2022 at 10:40 AM, Neeranam said:

So you wanted to use tax as an argument, but cherry-pick the tax retirees won’t pay to mould your argument to fit your bias ???....   the tax argument is utterly irrelevant anyway... You are clutching at straws using unrelated and flawed arguments to continue to excuse the inexcusable.... 

The fact that the foreigner was paying for this treatment eliminates any tax argument.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/27/2022 at 10:40 AM, Neeranam said:

We can all cherry pick our arguments......   It could be argued that the average foreigner has paid more tax in VAT than the average Thai does in income tax. 

I have certainly paid more income tax here than the average Thai. 

I have certain paid more VAT tax here than the average Thai. 

A foreigner working here for years will have paid more income tax here than the average Thai. 

The ’tax’ argument does not work. It does not work when someone attempts to justify dual-pricing, it does not work when someone is refused medication based on nationality alone. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thanks 1

Thainess is to go to marked every day even you have a big freezer and refrigerator. Making a plan for several days, seems impossible even they bring basic stuff every day. Zero logistic control. At least we have toilet paper for a year.

Edited by Hummin

3 hours ago, Hummin said:

Thainess is to go to marked every day even you have a big freezer and refrigerator. Making a plan for several days, seems impossible even they bring basic stuff every day. Zero logistic control. At least we have toilet paper for a year.

You mean toilet paper for putting on the dining table? Not much other use for it. 

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I have certainly paid more income tax here than the average Thai. 

I have certain paid more VAT tax here than the average Thai. 

A foreigner working here for years will have paid more income tax here than the average Thai. 

And a foreigner here for many years paying tax should get PR/Citizenship and get equal treatment. I doubt there is a high percentage of the Pattaya Poom Pui brigade that work.

On 10/24/2022 at 10:06 AM, peterrabbit said:

How can you make such a statement without knowing my personal circumstances. Why do you draw the obvious false conclusion that I am a tourist? 

I don't expect to get the same treatment as I Thai, I already said I expect to pay. But I do not expect to be deliberately discriminated against and deigned medication precisely because I am NOT a Thai. 

Here is the dictionary definition of racism which I think you should read:-

rac•ism

1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usu. involving the idea that one's own race is superior.
2. a policy, system of government, etc., based on such a doctrine.
3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

sorry to tell you, but racism is wide spread in Thailand and promoted by the government! 

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, ericthai said:

sorry to tell you, but racism is wide spread in Thailand and promoted by the government! 

This has been discussed too many times already. 

It’s not racism, Its nationalism...  IF a westerner obtains Thai citizenship then state legislated discrimination will not impact that person.