Work permit for skilled tradesman

Hi

Apologies if this has been covered . 

I am a qualified electrician in the U.K. can this be used to acquire a work permit in the same way a degree would ?

I am also married to a Thai . But from what I’ve read I can’t get a work permit purely cos I’m married. Is this correct ? 

Thanks !

Edited by HerbyJFlash
Extra info

Unfortunately for you Thailand has a million unskilled electricians and it is a protected activity. You may find employment as a supervisor/superintendent but normally an Electrical Engineer will get priority in that dept and probably only with a foreign company.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HerbyJFlash said:

I am a qualified electrician in the U.K. can this be used to acquire a work permit in the same way a degree would ?

I am also married to a Thai . But from what I’ve read I can’t get a work permit purely cos I’m married. Is this correct ? 

You will almost certainly not get a work permit as a electrician. Merely having a U.K. electrician’s qualification will not allow you to qualify for a different job

You can only get a work permit for a specific job, though many would not agree ???? , being married to a Thai is not a job. 

• Haha 1

Better that you look for a FI/FO job in construction or mining or something similar off shore and commute back to Thailand as your home base. Expert electricians are always in need in the mining industry, especially if you have heavy industry experience with transformers, MCC's and switchboards, VFD/VSD drives and have HV ticketing. Domestic house/commercial building  electricians weren't (aren't) considered as suitable at all though. You would also need to have a good understanding of electrical lock out procedures.

I have worked overseas with electrical tradesmen who weren't Engineers, but they always have a skills base that is considered not available locally in order to get their visa's. And these tradesmen always come in as "superintendents or trainers". 

Unless a company in Thailand can convince the Work Permit issuing officer that you are needed for a specific job that Thais can't do then you will not be successful. Are there back door ways to get a WP? I am not sure. I got mine through the company but it was for a specific role.

The only way you can do it legally would be to have an employer in Thailand, eligible to apply for a WP, who is willing to go through the process. If employer is inexperienced, you'd need professional help to put it together.

Good luck.

On 10/26/2022 at 3:05 AM, HerbyJFlash said:

No, as an electrician you cannot work in Thailand, so this skill is of no relevance.

Edited by hotchilli
  • Thumbs Up 1