Merry Christmas

blackcab

Just now, Mac Mickmanus said:

Even better, what things have been reduced in price ?

Petrol and Diesel recently.

Local market goodsp go up and down.

Rice because the family next door get rice free from the govt. ????

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Tea bags, used to be 200bht/100 in 2009.

Now I can get Typhoo tea bags for less than 250bht/300.

Me thinks many here don't do an annual monthly budgeting.

That's how I notice the difference in costs throughout the year are up and down.

It's what I call a farmer bumkin type of thing. ????????????????

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Petrol and Diesel recently.

Local market goodsp go up and down.

Rice because the family next door get rice free from the govt. ????

I personally wouldn't accept free rice given by the Government to poor people , due to the morality values I have .

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I personally wouldn't accept free rice given by the Government to poor people , due to the morality values I have .

Typical and exactly as I thought you have no understanding of the way some people's live here.

Your moralist views are invalid when it comes to my situation.

The smell I hate the most are these cinnamon infused line cones in a box box they place by the door of my big box hardware stores. Pavlov's dog?    Xmas trees and garb went up for sale in September.   You can't believe the Halloween junk they sell.  Giant skeletons, all these inflatable things.  It's almost all sold out now.   

5 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

I work at an airport, and the bastards played the first Christmas song on the musak loop the other day. November 1st they'll start the all out 'Holiday' music loop through January 1st.

20 tracks repeated over and over. I swear if I ever meet Rudolf that deer is gonna get a bullet to the head!

Noise cancelling headphones.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Don't see any increases still spending the same each month more or less for years. 

Fuel prices gone up?

No, I always fill in for 500 Baht :biggrin:

Chocolate in Germany not increased.

Just it's 87 grams instead of a 100.

Inflation hits hard in Thailand too.

Just look at prices for basic food stuff like chicken and pork.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Fuel prices gone up?

No, I always fill in for 500 Baht :biggrin:

Chocolate in Germany not increased.

Just it's 87 grams instead of a 100.

Inflation hits hard in Thailand too.

Just look at prices for basic food stuff like chicken and pork.

Family raises chickens, pork farm locally serves market. 

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Thanks for the thought; however, horses for courses.

My former mother in law used to have roast dinner and hot plum pudding with custard every Christmas. Completely ridiculous when the weather forecast for Christmas Day in Australia was nearly always 40 C or more.

I evolved my own Christmas dinner of cold crayfish with mustard sauce and lemon juice with salad, accompanied by a Margaret River dry white. Dessert was fruit salad consisting of pineapple, strawberries, blueberries, seedless grapes and rock melon.

Are you from Melbourne? I think so.  Normally in the 20's at Christmas. Google says it hit 40 in 1907. 

5 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Are you from Melbourne? I think so.  Normally in the 20's at Christmas. Google says it hit 40 in 1907. 

Not twenties in the 'burbs, maybe Mt Macedon or Olinda.

I don't believe everything Google says, and have known it was wrong in fact on occasion.

On 10/28/2022 at 4:27 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

One of the more understated advantages of living in Thailand is complete freedom from any whiff of Christmas, especially if one lives in the countryside.

Christmas in Thailand, at least where I have been living during the past years, comes and goes with no one taking notice of the blessed day.

Sometimes, some of my Chinese friends, and even my Thai friends, will send me a LINE message to remind me that it is now Christmas Day.  They think I care.  And so, I thank them for their caring. Their caring is touching, but they also know that they have far better holidays to celebrate, nonetheless.

There are many valid reasons why I deeply detest Christmas Day celebrations. For one thing, when I was young, and while all the other kids’ parents were placing presents under their living-room spruce trees, my parents would be filling our socks with lignite coal on Christmas Eve.  This was a Christmas tradition in our house. On the following Christmas morning, we would first wash the coal dust out of our socks before we were allowed to have our Christmas gruel at noon.

Following our meager repast, we would go house-to-house to sing to our neighbors about the manger, even though we were still hungry from not getting enough gruel, and also while shivering from the cold wind blowing through our threadbare coats.

After returning home from an afternoon of singing, our family would gather together to read Charles Dickens. Mostly, we would read about Pip’s adventures before he became a gentleman. And then for our Christmas dinner, we would be ladled out another half-bowl of our breakfast gruel.

Following our dinner, we would stroll around our neighborhood peering through windows, marveling at plates of cookies and cakes, candy canes and sugar-plums, large baskets of tangerines, and tables nearly groaning with half-eaten turkey, squash, mince pies, and cranberry sauce.

Having become almost full to the brim looking at all the food in the neighborhood, we would be ready for bed, and we only had one. Still we nestled the best we could, all snug in our bed, just hoping that St. Nick would answer our wishes.  But, he never did.

With only one Santa, and with 7.8 billion people simultaneously praying to Santa for this or that, it’s perfectly understandable that Santa may not have adequate time or resources to come down your chimney this season.

But that’s OK.

Which Thailand are you living in?

This must be Ban Nokwaybackofbeyond

Walk into any Thai mall and it's the same; Christmas Tree, idiot shop girls wearing antlers and tinsel, and the Goddam awful Christmas music.

It doesn't mean anything to them other than a shopping 'holiday'.

But that might also be true of most Western countries too!

On 10/28/2022 at 5:16 PM, Cardano said:

He's one of these upcountry bumpkins that lives like a Thai farmer and likes to spout off about how Thailand is better and cheaper. Yet he never compares apples with apples.

He is upcountry, not in LoS but Northern Ireland!

On 10/28/2022 at 3:44 PM, Mac Mickmanus said:

What , you wont be happily singing along to the words in the song "Its the season to be jolly tra la la la la " ?

I was just thinking how long 'til father xmas appears outside Lotus along with ' Dingen ben , dingen ben dangles all the way '.

On 10/28/2022 at 9:17 PM, ThailandRyan said:

Well Merry Christmas to the Potato Chip community.  Here is another wild one

https://candy95.com/christmas-tree-flavored-potato-chips-are-officially-here/

Pine is a very underrated flavor.

We put some crushed pine needles in our cucumber water when we have houseguests.