Ottawa Thai Embassy Not Helpful

I've been trying for the past 3 weeks to get a Multi-Entry Tourist Visa (METV) without success. The Embassy does not answer the phone, and does not respond to voice messages or emails. When I started the process, their website said 9 business days, it now says over 20 business days from a complete application, but you don't know if your application is complete when they are not responding. My flight is scheduled to leave in just over 60 hours from now. It's become pretty obvious I will not have the METV by departure time. My options:

1. Scrap my plans to spend the winter in Thailand and eat the cost of refund on my flight, the visa application fee, and condo deposit.

2. Re-schedule my flights, eat the added cost of flight change, push my departure back 5 to 6 weeks with no guarantee of getting an METV plus eat the cost of rent on my condo for the period before I get there.  

3. Leave on my scheduled flight anyway and "hope" for a visa on arrival. I would then need to leave the country twice plus extensions to cover the 168 days I would be there; i.e. 2 more visa on arrivals. I'm 68 but I don't think getting a retirement visa while in Thailand would be an option if I'm unwilling to get a Thai bank account and transfer 800,000 baht to Thailand.

It looks to me like option 1 would be the cheapest option, but will make for a very unhappy winter.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Nightmare reports for METV for Canadians and others. 

Here is one thread..,

Yup, it's making me wonder if they are intentionally trying to deter tourists from returning, or if the new online process was just really poorly thought out and is unintentionally deterring "snowbirds" like myself from returning for the full winter. Either scenario is just poor public relations and will not help their tourism to recover. 

11 minutes ago, Canadian Snowbird said:

Yup, it's making me wonder if they are intentionally trying to deter tourists from returning, or if the new online process was just really poorly thought out and is unintentionally deterring "snowbirds" like myself from returning for the full winter. Either scenario is just poor public relations and will not help their tourism to recover. 

Not sure what is going on in Ottawa. When i posted my latest update I heards from a brit (I think) who had no problems with the METV. I suppose everyone's previous travel stamps to thailand might be a factor? Who the F* knows.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Des1 said:

Not sure what is going on in Ottawa. When i posted my latest update I heards from a brit (I think) who had no problems with the METV. I suppose everyone's previous travel stamps to thailand might be a factor? Who the F* knows.

Previous travel stamps aren't at issue. I left early April 1, 2020 when the pandemic hit and haven't been back since. I could be wrong, but I think its more a case of either insufficient staff being overwhelmed or just not giving a sh** about the applicants.

Ok, I had the same problem. My flight was booked and i did not have a visa. I entered Thailand Visa-exempt. This gives me 45 days...if necessary another 30 day extension. Still waiting for Ottawa Thai embassy to say yes or no.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Des1 said:

Ok, I had the same problem. My flight was booked and i did not have a visa. I entered Thailand Visa-exempt. This gives me 45 days...if necessary another 30 day extension. Still waiting for Ottawa Thai embassy to say yes or no.

They probably won't respond either. Your application will just eventually expire or they will reject. What a nightmare. 

1 hour ago, Canadian Snowbird said:

Leave on my scheduled flight anyway and "hope" for a visa on arrival.

There is no visa on arrival for Canadian passport holders. A visa exempt entry with border run will give you 6-month stay. A tourist visa with two borde-run will give you 7-month. How long do you intent to stay? 

Edited by Onerak
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Onerak said:

There is no visa on arrival for Canadian passport holders. A visa exempt entry with border run will give you 6-month stay. A tourist visa with two borde-run will give you 7-month. How long do you intent to stay? 

Not sure what you are saying .. visa exempt can be with extension = 75 days. So a border run after that ( before march deadline) for another visa exempt, with extension = another 75 days.

Total: 150 days .. not six months

This is considering immigration will even let you in again.

Do I have this wrong?

32 minutes ago, Des1 said:

Not sure what you are saying .. visa exempt can be with extension = 75 days. So a border run after that ( before march deadline) for another visa exempt, with extension = another 75 days.

Total: 150 days .. not six months

This is considering immigration will even let you in again.

Do I have this wrong?

You have it correct, Onerak has it wrong. You've obviously already arrived from Canada on a "visa-on-arrival", so he obviously has that wrong too. Apparently, maximum of 2 border runs per calendar year too, so depending on your length of stay, you may want to consider doing one of those border runs this calendar year. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jerno said:

Yes, that Embassy is overly optimistic with it's published completion times, for everything including Thai  passport renewals. Sorry for your tough time, can be stressful.

always appreciate support from fellow expats , or holiday people

55 minutes ago, Des1 said:

I forgot about the current 45-day rule. Each visa exempt entry will give you two months (forget the current 45-dau rule). Two land borders 4 months. Total 6-months. I enter with a TR visa for three months (including one month extension). And then each exempt gives me two months (including extension). So, it is 7-months. Perfect for my 6-month sojourn in Thailand. That gives me one month wiggle room. 

Edited by Onerak

9 minutes ago, Onerak said:

I forgot about the current 45-day rule. Each visa exempt entry will give you two months (forget the current 45-dau rule). Two land borders 4 months. Total 6-months. I enter with a TR visa for three months (including one month extension). And then each exempt gives me two months (including extension). So, it is 7-months. Perfect for my 6-month sojourn in Thailand. That gives me one month wiggle room. 

Again...not sure how you calculate the visa-exempt. Each entry will give you 75 days if you apply for the 30 day extension. It might be wishfull thinking that all the old rules still apply upon re-entry. I am still having trouble getting a METV from Canada.

I hope you are right. Just offering my opinion.

1 minute ago, Lemsta69 said:

@Onerakis spot on, Canadians are not eligible for Visa On Arrival. VOA is not the same as Visa Exempt. a seasoned traveller should know this!

Semantics. Some seasoned travellers are accustomed to having a visa in hand before departure and don't pay much attention to what its called for arriving without one. 

What city are you from or close to? A consulate might be a better choice

I found the Ottawa Thai embassy to be slow same as you

I've used the thai consulate in Edmonton before, but I see that they've closed shop

Vancouver and Toronto have them though

3 minutes ago, kwonitoy said:

I've used the thai consulate in Edmonton before, but I see that they've closed shop

I am in Thailand now on a visa -exempt so waiting for my visa, applied for before i left

1 minute ago, kwonitoy said:

I'm in Kingston, which is closer to Ottawa. I used the Toronto consulate about 6 years ago and they sent my passport back through the wrong courier company and barely got it in time for that trip, so haven't been back since. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Des1 said:

Try the Vancouver Consulate. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Des1 said:

I believe we were talking about visa-exempt

yes, however it was incorrectly reffered to as "visa-on-

35 minutes ago, Canadian Snowbird said:

Semantics. Some seasoned travellers are accustomed to having a visa in hand before departure and don't pay much attention to what its called for arriving without one. 

it's not semantics, the two are completely different visa classes. you don't become a seasoned traveller by pretending such details are unimportant.  

but if you want to continue being ignorant and call a spade a shovel then be my guest...

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

yes, however it was incorrectly reffered to as "visa-on-

it's not semantics, the two are completely different visa classes. you don't become a seasoned traveller by pretending such details are unimportant.  

but if you want to continue being ignorant and call a spade a shovel then be my guest...

Its semantics to me; and ignorance is bliss if it helps me ignore the always correct crowd always looking for the opportunity to put others down. Have a nice day. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Canadian Snowbird said:

you create confusion.
a visa on arrival exists.
only, it is different from a visa exempt stamp which is what is discussed here.

Edited by orchis

4 hours ago, Canadian Snowbird said:

Its semantics to me; and ignorance is bliss if it helps me ignore the always correct crowd always looking for the opportunity to put others down. Have a nice day. 

nobody's trying to put your down, we're simply pointing out the difference between VOA and VE. 

but that's ok, you're from the USA so we understand your reticence to accept such an innocent correction.

• Haha 2